Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo-Lead weight plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
To all of the kids reading this, if you will be filing lead, wear a mask or respirator. Since most kids won't wear one, don't file lead. Instead of using lead, spend a little more money and get tungsten weights for pine-wood derby cars. They cost more, but are safer and you can use less volume because tungsten is much more dense than lead.

You can get 4.5 ounces of tungsten weight for $10.50 (a 4.2oz lead plate from this thread will cost you $8 + shipping, so same price) here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=015
Good point Bill.I did not mention that i wore a mask.Some guys want to put it on a grinder or use a Dremel,which a strongly suggest "DO NOT".At least with the file you can keep the airborn particles to a minimum.

Whatever you choose to use,make sure you put it as low in the chassis as possible.I see some drivers put all their weights on top of the battery strap and wonder why the car still barrel rolls in the corners.That just makes it too top heavy.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you want to melt lead and mold your own weights and wear masks etc, fine...

If not... simply buy some Lipo-Lead and be done with it.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Great idea, wish someone had done this sooner. On the 3200 is there a piece small enough to go between the "nubs"?

Product recommendation: to ease the concerns of the state of california (as I assume by that state this is known to cause cancer), have they thought about dipping them in something to cover the lead? A thin rubbery solution?
The "state of california" doesn't have any greater concerns regarding lead than any other state, we just have a law that requires labeling for toxic substances.

It doesn't sound too crazy to me and it's not like battery terminals, tire weights or any other lead products are required to be covered in plastic...nor are there any consumer products banned from sale or use in California...at least not that I've heard of.

We now return to your regularly scheduled California-bashing.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
The "state of california" doesn't have any greater concerns regarding lead than any other state, we just have a law that requires labeling for toxic substances.

It doesn't sound too crazy to me and it's not like battery terminals, tire weights or any other lead products are required to be covered in plastic...nor are there any consumer products banned from sale or use in California...at least not that I've heard of.

We now return to your regularly scheduled California-bashing.
I was just joking (about CA)! I just want them covered in rubber so they are easier to handle.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I was just joking (about CA)! I just want them covered in rubber so they are easier to handle.
That's cool...just looking out for my hood.

It would be nice to have a coating regardless of where you live. You never know who might get ahold of your car and it doesn't take much lead at all to really do a number on a child...hence the drama over lead paint on toys.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

I have a variety of coating products in the shop to try.... so far I have only clearcoated and painted black some I use in my own cars. I also have at least a couple different plastic type coatings I can do... just have not done it yet.

I've thought about doing that... but probably will only do so per request since I don't want to add thickness to the plates. A quick clearcoat won't do much, but a plastic dip/spray could be the difference between a tight fit and one that needs mods.

I'll have a report in a few days on the "plastic-y" coatings... so far the black and clear paint does a nice job.

Last edited by glassdoctor; 01-15-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

We'll have plenty in stock in a few days, including the new 1oz thin plate for more tuning options.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Lead can be a little bit nasty, and is obviously toxic. At the very least, people should consider washing their hands after handling it. You know, before you go outside for a smoke. :-D
Old 01-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Don't lick it and you'll be fine

You know... lead was once used in pluming pipes and some of it's still out there. Lead has even been used to make drinking cups... now that's a bad idea. So.... moral of the story is don't eat Lipo Lead.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

how thick are these plates? just curious that if I put this on a 4800 if it will still fit in my cyclone.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Don't lick it and you'll be fine

You know... lead was once used in pluming pipes and some of it's still out there. Lead has even been used to make drinking cups... now that's a bad idea. So.... moral of the story is don't eat Lipo Lead.
Oh, I agree, you just need to use common sense. If a bunch of guys at your track order a pizza to share, do they all run and wash their hands before they eat? Hopefully so, but you can almost guarantee that not everybody will. If you're shuffling a pack with lead on it in and out of your car all day, it might not hurt to wash up before mawing down on some pizza. Just a thought. Tungsten is popular in pinewood derby because they don't want the kids handling lead. It doesn't hurt to remind folks, especially with the R/C crowd that thinks nothing will hurt them. :-)
Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

not to irritate anybody.. but it will...

If your going to a ROAR race, you might want to brush up on rule 5.2.6 in the rule book.

5.2.6 Any material used to add weight to a vehicle in order to comply with the minimum weight requirements for the class must be securely attached to the vehicle chassis. If such ballast falls off the vehicle during a race for any reason, and the vehicle is under weight at the post race inspection, the vehicle will be disqualified for that run. For all fuel classes, chassis weights must be securely mounted with solid mechanical fasteners such as bolts or screws.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
not to irritate anybody.. but it will...

If your going to a ROAR race, you might want to brush up on rule 5.2.6 in the rule book.

5.2.6 Any material used to add weight to a vehicle in order to comply with the minimum weight requirements for the class must be securely attached to the vehicle chassis. If such ballast falls off the vehicle during a race for any reason, and the vehicle is under weight at the post race inspection, the vehicle will be disqualified for that run. For all fuel classes, chassis weights must be securely mounted with solid mechanical fasteners such as bolts or screws.
Ah, interesting. That can be a challenge given the limited space around a battery for adding weight. I run weights shoe good to the bottom of my flat pack more to keep it locked into the battery slots than for overall weight. In my opinion, it actually improves safety since it goes a long way toward preventing the pack from being ejected during a crash. Check the bottom of this page to see what I mean.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Ah, interesting. That can be a challenge given the limited space around a battery for adding weight. I run weights shoe good to the bottom of my flat pack more to keep it locked into the battery slots than for overall weight. In my opinion, it actually improves safety since it goes a long way toward preventing the pack from being ejected during a crash. Check the bottom of this page to see what I mean.
What if you were gluing or taping lugs to the bottom of the pack to help lock it in and that these lugs just happened to be made out of lead?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me

oh, I agree...

but adding weigth to the pack itself changes your center of gravity and is a pure advantage in handling.. we all know that....

Not saying the rule is accurate in today's methods.. but it is there and has been for at least three years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.