Like Tree235Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Reply

Old 10-15-2009, 08:34 PM
  #10486  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,417
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

gashuffer,

On the MO5 Pro the rear ball stud can be mounted in either the top or bottom hole on the rear upright. It will only change your rear camber angle and ride height. On large tracks I have found it not to have that much affect on the car's handling. However on a tight technical track I use the upper hole, seems to make the car easier to drive. The other change you can make is to place a two degree rear hub on the car from the standard MO5 kit which will make the car even more stable and give more steering.

I swap the rear uprights for different tracks and have them setup with a ball stud and axles etc, so five minute tuning change.

On the small adjustable rear camber link I place a spacer between the plastic cups, so the spacing is equal. I do not change this from the instruction setting. Perhaps in the future I will experiment, however I am very happy with the handling of my MO5M and MO5L.

Regards,

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:36 AM
  #10487  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Andrew_67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 394
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Paint Type

I would like to paint the chassis and different parts on my Mini, what type of paint should i use ?

Sorry for all the questions at different times but as i sit here and stare at it i think of things i would like to do.

Thanks
Andrew_67 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:19 AM
  #10488  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
Jam-ehz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 592
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I've used Krylon Fusion for Plastics, works very well for plain plastic parts..

Just keep in mind any binding that may occur at the arms and uprights with the extra layer of paint..
Jam-ehz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:44 AM
  #10489  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (48)
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
gashuffer,

On the MO5 Pro the rear ball stud can be mounted in either the top or bottom hole on the rear upright. It will only change your rear camber angle and ride height. On large tracks I have found it not to have that much affect on the car's handling. However on a tight technical track I use the upper hole, seems to make the car easier to drive. The other change you can make is to place a two degree rear hub on the car from the standard MO5 kit which will make the car even more stable and give more steering.

I swap the rear uprights for different tracks and have them setup with a ball stud and axles etc, so five minute tuning change.

On the small adjustable rear camber link I place a spacer between the plastic cups, so the spacing is equal. I do not change this from the instruction setting. Perhaps in the future I will experiment, however I am very happy with the handling of my MO5M and MO5L.

Regards,

Calvin.
I don't have the pro. How can you tell if your using a 2 degree rear hub from the standard version? The reason why there are the two hole options on the rear uprights is because the wider the link is to the chassis the more roll the car will have and visa versa.
gashuffer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:19 PM
  #10490  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,417
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

gashuffer,

The 2 degree rear uprights are what come standard in the MO5 basic kit. They are also included in the MO3M and MO3L 2006 Cooper kit. The original MO3 ships with zero degree rear up rights with the optional 2 degree upright sold seperately.

Yeah racing and Tamiya do a 1.5 degree rear alloy upright which comes with an adjustable link. These have two holes in the upright. When fitted to the MO3 the ball stud is fitted to the top hole and on the MO5 Pro the bottom hole. I have found the top hole to be useful on tight technical tracks with a shorter upper arm link than what the instructions suggest.

With the MO5 we have found ride height can have a huge influence on the cars handling.

Regards,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 10-16-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: xtra text
caltek1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:27 PM
  #10491  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (48)
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Calvin, i'm gonna look into those.
gashuffer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:45 AM
  #10492  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Pro10noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,159
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Small question for all you guys out there...

Where can i get a Tobee gear set for the M03??
I searched the net and ebay but couldn't find anything.
Are these still for sale or is there something that is the same??

cheers Roy
Pro10noob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:47 AM
  #10493  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (35)
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
Small question for all you guys out there...

Where can i get a Tobee gear set for the M03??
I searched the net and ebay but couldn't find anything.
Are these still for sale or is there something that is the same??

cheers Roy

RC Champ in Japan
cannon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:58 AM
  #10494  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Pro10noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,159
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Nice but my Japanese ain't that good tho

cheers Roy


Originally Posted by cannon View Post
RC Champ in Japan
Pro10noob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:21 AM
  #10495  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,417
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Pro10noob,

Try the link below and look through the mini list to find what you are after.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Jasons-S...34Q2ec0Q2em322

3Racing do a MO5 speed gear set go to google and put in 3Racing and go to there web site all in english.

Failing that send an E-mail to Champ requesting parts you want using the address below.

[email protected] The person to address your E-mail to is Hirotaka-san.

Regards,

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:31 AM
  #10496  
Tech Addict
 
PaPeRo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 692
Default

Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
Small question for all you guys out there...

Where can i get a Tobee gear set for the M03??
I searched the net and ebay but couldn't find anything.
Are these still for sale or is there something that is the same??

cheers Roy
http://jr-rc.com/index.php?option=co...e&limitstart=0
PaPeRo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:37 PM
  #10497  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
tony gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Home of rc-mini.net
Posts: 3,442
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
Small question for all you guys out there...

Where can i get a Tobee gear set for the M03??
I searched the net and ebay but couldn't find anything.

cheers Roy
You could also save yourself a lot of time and money and NOT buy them...

The Tobee gears are very, very, poorly made with a badly cut gear pitch profile, poor materials and compatibility. When they're installed (once you work out how) the noise they make is horrendous. And yes I know what I'm doing everything was set-up perfectly.

I was convinced my gearbox had exploded it was so bad. Any small numerical gearing gain is offset 50 times by the inefficiency of these gears. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone

Forget it..
tony gray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:29 PM
  #10498  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (48)
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

The stock gears are fine. If anything get the 3racing ones, but you really don't need them.
gashuffer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:32 PM
  #10499  
Tech Addict
 
PaPeRo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 692
Default

Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
You could also save yourself a lot of time and money and NOT buy them...

The Tobee gears are very, very, poorly made with a badly cut gear pitch profile, poor materials and compatibility. When they're installed (once you work out how) the noise they make is horrendous. And yes I know what I'm doing everything was set-up perfectly.

I was convinced my gearbox had exploded it was so bad. Any small numerical gearing gain is offset 50 times by the inefficiency of these gears. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone

Forget it..
Are you talking about the alloy one? I have the alloy one and it meshes fine. If you're new to alloy/steel gears then you're gonna be shocked by the higher pitched sound of them meshing, but it's perfectly normal. The Tobee spur is a simple drop in fit, so I don't know what you mean by "once you work out how".

You can't beat metal gears for durability that's why many Nitro cars only use metal gears. If you don't want to replace worn out spurs then you have no choice but to go with a metal one.

Curious to know what pinion (pitch and teeth number) you used with the Tobee alloy spur and which mounting holes.

BTW aren't you the same guy that said the carbon gear shafts aren't worth the money because they don't spin?

Last edited by PaPeRo; 10-17-2009 at 03:53 PM.
PaPeRo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:15 PM
  #10500  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
tony gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Home of rc-mini.net
Posts: 3,442
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

It's not even worth dignifying your post with a response.....
tony gray is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service