Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Happy birthday, Bob!

I feel very much the same way. I may have gotten really sick a few years ago and I'm pretty messed up now, but I still get to play with toy cars! Life is good.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs down 60D Super Grips

Seems to be a world wide shortage. Are these now NLA?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Nope. Still a current part. The last batch we saw were ultra sticky, too. Maybe they're between production runs?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by durtbag
Seems to be a world wide shortage. Are these now NLA?
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...l-tire-p-16889
Old 12-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Tech Regular

Belated Happy Birthday Bob.

Is there any cake left, cause I didn't get my slice yet.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

thanks Cale! I actually put in an order last night with them. Most HK stores seem to be out right now.
Terence
Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Nope. Still a current part. The last batch we saw were ultra sticky, too. Maybe they're between production runs?
The new S-Grips we've seen have been packaged in a bag rather than a box. These were of a softer rubber cpd, and the first impression was that they would be a "grippier" tire. That may be true, but overall, the tire is not as good as the old. They just did not seem to work and are very prone to rolling. Lap times were 0.5 to 1.0 sec. slower than the old #1016 Spec S-Grip premounts.

After some experimentation, using the conventional "tricks", they are a little better and we've managed to lessen the "mushy" handling. Of course, this makes them illegal for TCS racing. Hopefully, when the new #1016 premounts arrive, it will be with the old cpd rubber.

The problem seems to be the softer rubber cpd makes the sidewalls too soft. It makes for traction rolling and a "mushy" feel" to the car. We've tried various solutions like stiffer inserts, cyanoing the sidewalls, double stuffs, building up the wheel between the center ribs, etc, which helped, but the older premounts were still quicker. Most of the solutions tried are illegal for TCS racing.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

"I could set the building on fire."

Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was just going to post that. Happy belated, Gramps!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you all, but the post was only to let you know that life is good. I do appreciate and enjoy each day more than before, take less for granted, appreciate each friend and kind word or act more than when i was younger.

Also, that careful construction and attention to detail in your set ups can keep you competitive. Don't win many races these days, but the lap times haven't slipped much if any. What's happened is that the guys are getting faster and their set ups are better. Hopefully, I had a bit to do with that cause I've shared much info over the years and have posted quite a bit.

Unfortunately, this has ruffled a few feathers, which is okay. A little controversy is good for the discussion. However, one must acknowledge that someone having a differing opinion, does not make him your mortal enemy. Really, there is more than one "good" way to build a diff, or shock length, or set up, or combination of spring and shock oil, etc. I will admit to getting irritated when someone pontificates. But that's a failing of mine and needs a bit of attention.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Tech Adept

I'm looking to fit a foam front bumper to my m03.
Would an aftermarket m05 one fit.
I'm not sure if the mounting points etc are the same, they look pretty similar in the photos
Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Happy Belated Bday - i dont post much but i've been silently following your RC wisdom and wanted to say "Thanks!" you are a great help.

Originally Posted by Granpa
Thank you all, but the post was only to let you know that life is good. I do appreciate and enjoy each day more than before, take less for granted, appreciate each friend and kind word or act more than when i was younger.

Also, that careful construction and attention to detail in your set ups can keep you competitive. Don't win many races these days, but the lap times haven't slipped much if any. What's happened is that the guys are getting faster and their set ups are better. Hopefully, I had a bit to do with that cause I've shared much info over the years and have posted quite a bit.

Unfortunately, this has ruffled a few feathers, which is okay. A little controversy is good for the discussion. However, one must acknowledge that someone having a differing opinion, does not make him your mortal enemy. Really, there is more than one "good" way to build a diff, or shock length, or set up, or combination of spring and shock oil, etc. I will admit to getting irritated when someone pontificates. But that's a failing of mine and needs a bit of attention.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Hopefully, when the new #1016 premounts arrive, it will be with the old cpd rubber.

i was under the impression that the premounts had been discontinued . not true ?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello first time sorry for my bad english, I'm from Switzerland.
I want to ask her how the M05 Gear differential cone filled with oil without all this boils?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by markrobinson
I'm looking to fit a foam front bumper to my m03.
Would an aftermarket m05 one fit?
Mounting points are different. Best bet is to base the bumper off of the M03 part and add to it.

Originally Posted by purple haze
i was under the impression that the premounts had been discontinued . not true ?
They seem to make a batch about once per year. I wish they came on some heinously bright pink/yellow/orange wheels. The grey is so somber.

Originally Posted by JiaBee
Hello first time sorry for my bad english, I'm from Switzerland.
I want to ask her how the M05 Gear differential cone filled with oil without all this boils?
If you are referring to the 3Racing differential, it uses a rubber seal and O rings to keep the oil in. While constructing the differential, some air space is left to allow for expansion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.