Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:53 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

some of u guys seriously use the friction units?

R
Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
some of u guys seriously use the friction units?

R
Um, yeah. With a spacer to lower the ride height, they're not that bad. Besides, in my case (new to the sport), I figured there was no point dumping a ton of money into the car until the car's performance started holding me back. In the end, I think that makes for a better driver.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beej
Um, yeah. With a spacer to lower the ride height, they're not that bad. Besides, in my case (new to the sport), I figured there was no point dumping a ton of money into the car until the car's performance started holding me back. In the end, I think that makes for a better driver.
I did exactly that. I ran them for a while until I felt I knew the car well enough to appreciate the upgrade. I switched to the M-chassis specific oil dampers and they made a world of difference.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

even though i have 50% aluminum mini i could still run in your race? i just have to run silver can? SWEET! but my car is to heavy i need 19turn to pull it! lol

where do you race at? sorry i maybe wasn't payin attention.

Originally Posted by reenmachine
That's where I race -- come on up! We're building a great mini scene. We just started this year and it's really growing. There will be anywhere from 9 to 16 minis depending on who shows up. The track is grippy, treated asphalt. The pan car guys like to treat it heavily, so there's no lack of traction. So much so that 60D type A slicks are traction roll city. Most of the fast guys are actually running the kit box treaded tires. I've got a couple of TQs and a couple of wins on the 3racing cheapo treads. About $9 for four with foams from speedtech. We really have fun with it and are pretty loose with the rules -- not limited to Tamiya hop-ups, no weigh-in, etc. Lipos ok, strictly silver can and a couple of guys have red dot motors. It's sort of the "blow off steam" class.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LATC3
even though i have 50% aluminum mini i could still run in your race? i just have to run silver can? SWEET! but my car is to heavy i need 19turn to pull it! lol

where do you race at? sorry i maybe wasn't payin attention.
I can't speak "officially" for the club, but you wouldn't be turned away on a race day. The only time there's ever been a tech protest was when someone ran a 27T racing motor, and that was an innocent mistake. It was our first race and there had been some debate as to what motor we'd allow.

I don't think anybody at our track takes it seriously enough to care what you run suspension-wise, as long as you've got a legal silver can. We have a lot of fun with it!

Oh, here's where we race: http://roadrunnersrc.com/
Old 07-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

that looks like a very orginized site also that track layout looks sweet! i seen some type of address? where's that at is it close to los angeles? i don't really travel to go to races that much.

has anyone ever seen/used those tobee craft spurs and idler gear set for the minis? its all finer teeth and people say there more quiet and offer more top speed with stock motor.

anyone used these gears?

I've contacted rcmini.net and they said trash
Old 07-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LATC3
that looks like a very orginized site also that track layout looks sweet! i seen some type of address? where's that at is it close to los angeles? i don't really travel to go to races that much.
It's in Camarillo, at Freedom Park (by the airport). It's an hour or so up the coast from LA depending on where you are. We race on-road every other Sunday and would love to have you!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Sorry for the interruption but I just listed a killer MO3R & MO3M with tons of Hop-Ups and spare parts for sale check it out search for Tamiya Mini MO3R & M03M Tons of Hop-Ups Race Ready in the for sale thread.

Once again I apologize for the interruption.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Novak XRS vs. GTB

I've got a dilemna. I've been offered an XRS or a GTB for the same price. I know the GTB is a much more expensive item, and has more features, but is it a good ESC for an M03? Is it overkill? Too big?

Another question is about the GTB being a 4 cell unit It's designed to run 7.4v. Can it handle a 7.4v, 6 cell stick pack?

I'm leaning heavily towards the GTB, but I'd like to know if there are any experienced opinions available.

Jim
Old 07-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

hey, what's up jim. kinda the wrong thread but its about your mini!

ok well those are two very good esc's but the gtb is as you say better. it offers more features. the gtb gets tc's in the 100mph club and that's not needed in mini racing or bashing.

i say which ever one is cheaper. but if your going to be putting it in a tc in time get the gtb can't go wrong.

also another thing about the gtb is when your using brushless motors with it, it runs REALLY well on ANY type stick,side by side, saddle packs. it will work with the best cells and the most cheap cells. all around good esc. for the GTB.

if your only a mini racer get the cheapest.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

i love to race with you guys! but its just way to far do you have video of any races?

Originally Posted by reenmachine
It's in Camarillo, at Freedom Park (by the airport). It's an hour or so up the coast from LA depending on where you are. We race on-road every other Sunday and would love to have you!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning toward the XRS, as it's a known quantity to me, and perhaps more suitable given that Novak actually warns against using it in anything that might overstress it. It doesn't seem like a mini might cause undue stress, but they do create a lot of load on their drivelines as compared to a pan or tc.

Jim
Old 07-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

what? load in drivetrain in a mini? NOO the car isn't heavy enough. the car would slip those tires b4 load builds up.

if anything if your running foams on carpet with your mini then maybe there would be load in the drivetrain.

what motor are you going to use?

if you get the m03 it comes with a esc that's worth about 30bucks. if that is enough for the car those esc's you names will boot the mini to the moon

I've ran 5700vk mamba with my mini all the way to 19turn to 23turn tamiya sport tuned and everything will work for the car.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

monkeyracing,

I would get the XRS as it will handle six cells. The GTB might sound good but Novak have a 4 and a 6 cell version. You run 6 cell batteries in your Mini.

A silver can or black motor may not have the amp draw to affect the GTB, however if you decide to run a different motor, you may have issues.

At the end of the day it is your money and the decision is yours.

Later

Calvin.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Your better off getting the XRS. The 4 cell GTB is not meant for 6 cells no matter how much amp draw you might have. No point blowing up a good esc only to have to buy another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.