Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mr.Pink
Do the parts from the newer models of the mini ( M03... ) work on the original chassis ? I can get a cheap original model mini but don't know if parts can be found .
What is the difference between the older model and the newer ????
I'm not sure about what Cananda has, but some of the stuff is still available here from Tamiya USA
Give Kevin @ Burien Toyoya a call 1 (800) 654 6456 He can check and see what he can still get. I know that the chassis and gear boxes are still available, that is what I always broke on the M01 and M02
Old 05-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was hoping to find out the difference between the older M01 compared the newer M03 chassis .Thanks though
Old 05-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

I was hoping to find out the difference between the older M01 compared the newer M03 chassis .Thanks though
If I were you I'd buy the M03
The M01 has a mono shock on the front and rear. The steering mounts to the gearbox with bell cranks.
The M03 has 4 shocks, direct connect steering via servo saver. You can get sway bars for it. I would say it is easier to drive.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ok thanks . I have also found a deal on a RS4 Mini ( 1/12 ) 4wd . Any thoughts on those ?
Old 05-31-2005, 08:31 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Anyone running a M04? Looking for picture of one without the body on. The one I saw wasn't a very good picture.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

ok thanks . I have also found a deal on a RS4 Mini ( 1/12 ) 4wd . Any thoughts on those ?
Not sure where you are gonna find any parts for it. I have never driven one. But heck there is a few companies making a mini sedan now. Maybe you can look into them.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sipaboy
Who has some setup tips and what mods you did. TCS mod tips which work or what setups are popular. More concerned on M03 or M04.
Ceramic bearings, titanium screws and 30 minutes mabuchi break in ( dipped into water ) and ESC direct cable connection to motor ( if it TCS legal ) That will give you speed advantage.

Tamiya hop up options : TRF dampers, hollow carbon shafts, universal dog bones, alluminium steering knuckle, alluminium wheel adapter 6mm - clamp type, stainless steel hinge pins, TRF 415 plastic ball connector + titanium steering rod - adjustable.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello new here

I have been dabbling in rc for most of my life. never raced just played only sometimes go to a local track to play. Well my recent interest in real mini coopers has driven me to the point to must have a rc one and I went on a ebay spending spree.

So now I have a m-01 monte carlo which needs work and a m-03 which has never been run and every option for it including the old tamiya aluminum wheels but new never used. I hope to make the ultimate mini which will live forever.

has anybody used the all aluminum suspensions? I know not TCS legal but for play would be super strong.

How long do you thing the m-03 chassis will live? isn't this platform pretty old allready?

also with the recent release of the XB series of monte carlo and rover mini cooper will these bodies be releced as replacements? mosly I hope to run my cooper around cones in front of the house and plan on buying 2 of the xb mini's to have set up so my son and I can race each other. but if parts arn't going to be available for 10 years I am not sure if it is a good idea to buy 3 if I can't get tires and parts for them. Does an XB release signify the end of a line Tamiya trying to maximise the proffits from a line?

Also does anybody race mini's in the sacramento CA area? I have not found good availability of tamiya parts here in this area. so far I had my best luck on the net.

One more Q. does anybody make a new mini S body? I the standard new body comming on the way in one of my ebay parts lots but being a real S owner it would be cool to have a rc version in hobby quality of it.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:35 AM
Tech Regular

Expecting parts to be available for 10 years is expecting too much... Especially when some companies replace cars every 6 months...

Now of course you can stock up on spare parts. A chassis for an M03 costs around $15 CDN, likely $12 or less USD. The mini bodies are available, though I am not sure if the Monte Carlo mini body is specifically, though if it isn't yet it soon will be. The differences between the standard Rover Mini Cooper body and the Monte Carlo, won't prevent you from using either body on either chassis.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

has anybody used the all aluminum suspensions? I know not TCS legal but for play would be super strong.
i have an m03 with full gpm aluminium suspension. only problem with it is there is no holes to mount the tamiya sway bars and when racing the mini ive found the sway bars a must .
Old 06-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With the TA05 coming out soon, do you think that an M05 will follow? I'm asking cause i want to buy a rover(M03L) but if there's a new chassis coming i'd rather wait for it.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok so I realise 10 years is asking alot. I just picked that number as it was almost 20 years ago I bought my clodbuster. but come to think of it I havn't bought parts for it in 15 years and it still runs strong. I just have some spare axle tubes and some gears. If I stock up on gears and some suspension parts I will be fine.

I got my M-01 going last night. all it needed was a motor and all electronics. Man it was faster than I expected. handled really well to. I couldn't get it to flip except when hitting a dot in the road during a corner.

This m-01 has HPI tires on it. are these standard tires for the micro rs4? are they still made? what conditions should I bee looking at to stock up 10 years worth of tires? HPI seem to bee going cheaper than Tamiya. But seem the mini is a very popular good selling car so I should not have problems getting tires for it. I see alot of small tires on ebay that may fit.

the only difference between the monte carlo and the racing mini are the scale parts, mirrors, chrome bumpers grill and the rally lights. Got to have those rally light on a mini imo. I got to have a mini monte carlo for display on the shelf.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default HELP !!!!!!!

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME IN CHOOSING BETWEEN THE MO3 & THE MO3L. I REALY WANT TO BUY THE RIGHT CAR TO HOP-UP AND RACE IN TCS COMPETITION @ ARE LOCAL TRACKS.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Buy the M03L and a spare M03 (short) body shell. You are now ready for all situations. The black chassis is considered stronger than the silver one (less color filler) and the only real difference between the two chassis is the body shell and the middle extender part, which you can remove or install in less than five minutes.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rccardr
Buy the M03L and a spare M03 (short) body shell. You are now ready for all situations. The black chassis is considered stronger than the silver one (less color filler) and the only real difference between the two chassis is the body shell and the middle extender part, which you can remove or install in less than five minutes.
Yeah i`d get the M03L too..IMO i think the black chassis looks better than the silver one from the M03,but i haven`t heard that it`s stronger though.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.