Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Back from the first race with my M-05 V2 R. Unsurprisingly I was last by a good margin, not having driven the car before or any other onroad car for that matter.

Overall fun to drive, but maaaan these things are ADHD, cue in Benny Hill music and all. Often read fast servos being a "must" for these... mine is specced to be 0.08s, though it's probably a bit slower. Way too fast anyway, I had to use -25% expo for steering, something I haven't done for any other car (using MX-V, so no linear speed adjustment unfortunately).

Was plagued by some bad luck though:
- Practise 1: battery displacement, detached screw in steering
- Practise 2: battery displacement (after which some heavy taping indeed)
- Qualification 1: Finished 10 laps, but a front shock came loose on the bottom
- Qualification 2: DNF after 8 laps (was on time to go 11 laps I think) because a ballstud broke with the threaded part inside the front upright...... during regular cornering too, hadn't even bumped into anything in the past couple of laps. Had to move ballstuds to the front hole on the upright, and make the linkages longer to make up for otherwise excessive toe out.
- Qualification 3: DNF after 2 laps. The lenghtened link came loose at one end. Installed RPM ballcups another racer lent me. They were too tight, basically causing the screw to turn in the threading rather than the ballstud turning inside the ballcup...
- Final: 10 minutes, and made through it despite the above! Also managed my goal of having a lap under 25 seconds (24.928!), previously my fastest was in Q1, 25.174 I think. By comparison the fastest lap I recall anyone doing in the same class was ~18.5 seconds. Damn I'm fast!

Now I need to sort the upright ballcup situation as well as as try to remove the broken ballstud part from the upright. Apparently I should've been running reinforced slicks or the radials as compared to the normal slicks, something I asked about in a club discussion but wasn't answered at the time Also seems I need to stiffen the diff considerably.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you're using dual rate on mx-v, you might want to recheck the steering throw. Sub trim on this radio does not work as it's supposed to. Sub trim is not linked to epa, so when you turn down dual rate, steering throw will become uneven left to right.

Try this. Set epa to 100 on both sides. Now install your servo horn offset on purpose, so you can use subtrim to re-center it. Keep turning down dual rate, and you will notice the steering throw progressively become uneven. Properly functioning sub trim should not do this.

Originally Posted by tvih
Back from the first race with my M-05 V2 R. Unsurprisingly I was last by a good margin, not having driven the car before or any other onroad car for that matter.

Overall fun to drive, but maaaan these things are ADHD, cue in Benny Hill music and all. Often read fast servos being a "must" for these... mine is specced to be 0.08s, though it's probably a bit slower. Way too fast anyway, I had to use -25% expo for steering, something I haven't done for any other car (using MX-V, so no linear speed adjustment unfortunately).

Was plagued by some bad luck though:
- Practise 1: battery displacement, detached screw in steering
- Practise 2: battery displacement (after which some heavy taping indeed)
- Qualification 1: Finished 10 laps, but a front shock came loose on the bottom
- Qualification 2: DNF after 8 laps (was on time to go 11 laps I think) because a ballstud broke with the threaded part inside the front upright...... during regular cornering too, hadn't even bumped into anything in the past couple of laps. Had to move ballstuds to the front hole on the upright, and make the linkages longer to make up for otherwise excessive toe out.
- Qualification 3: DNF after 2 laps. The lenghtened link came loose at one end. Installed RPM ballcups another racer lent me. They were too tight, basically causing the screw to turn in the threading rather than the ballstud turning inside the ballcup...
- Final: 10 minutes, and made through it despite the above! Also managed my goal of having a lap under 25 seconds (24.928!), previously my fastest was in Q1, 25.174 I think. By comparison the fastest lap I recall anyone doing in the same class was ~18.5 seconds. Damn I'm fast!

Now I need to sort the upright ballcup situation as well as as try to remove the broken ballstud part from the upright. Apparently I should've been running reinforced slicks or the radials as compared to the normal slicks, something I asked about in a club discussion but wasn't answered at the time Also seems I need to stiffen the diff considerably.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not really having any radio-related issues - unless you want to count not having the setting for adjusting servo speed linearly like you can with more expensive radios, I guess. I've adjusted steering throw to be equal, the thing really turns on a dime in both directions. I haven't actually been using sub-trim at all, just regular trim. Only really started using EPA etc just in the last couple of months, though strangely enough I made do ok without, but certainly easier to get the steering right by using it after doing physical changes to a car or getting a new car! I only really got deeper into the settings once I got these four new cars (2x offroad SCT, this Mini and a touring car) and started using the same radio for all of them as well as on the older cars as compared to using a dedicated radio per car previously.

I suppose an even more advanced radio would have its benefits, but for as little as those would be for the most part, it's a bit hard to justify. I already can't even seem to justify buying more Sanwa receivers when I have two and can move them around, given they're a bit pricey. Better transmitters... even more pricey (even if you only need the one)

As for the speed issue... I guess I could try the HPI SF-2 servo I removed from my HPI Savage, it's likely to be slower. As would the servo I put in the Savage instead (seeing as I won't be driving it in winter in any case), but it's a bit annoying to remove. The Reedy 1903MG I have would also probably do the job but it'd need a replacement gear set and the local store selling those just went under.

Last edited by tvih; 10-18-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:55 AM
Tech Rookie

I just bought m03 project... it is going to be interesting to drive FF rc-car for first time
Old 10-22-2017, 03:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hah, yes, it was quite a jump going from RWD/4WD offroad to FWD mini in one fell swoop... didn't help that the first time driving was in that race
Old 10-22-2017, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

I did a whole lot of laps with my M05 this weekend. I'm still running kit tires. When I first got it out on the track, the thing just spun out. I swapped the front and rear tires, which helped, then sauced the rear tires. .. Viola, a car that pushed lightly.

Since I installed the 3 racing gear diff, the car wanders a bit on the straight. I wonder why that is. I can sorta control it... But it requires some real attention.

I really need to figure out how to do sidewall gluing properly.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nerobro
I did a whole lot of laps with my M05 this weekend. I'm still running kit tires. When I first got it out on the track, the thing just spun out. I swapped the front and rear tires, which helped, then sauced the rear tires. .. Viola, a car that pushed lightly.

Since I installed the 3 racing gear diff, the car wanders a bit on the straight. I wonder why that is. I can sorta control it... But it requires some real attention.

I really need to figure out how to do sidewall gluing properly.
Wandering on the straight is a potential side effect of having a tighter diff. It can usually be countered by using a bit more toe out.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

makes sense. I'll dial in a little more. :-) Now... how does one get those crystal clean and regular glued sidewalls?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

I had some wandering happening on straights too, and my diff's stock, so veeeeeery loose. Good amount of toe-out, too. I don't know if it was maybe uneven grip for some reason or something. Not sure if I'm gonna try shimming the diff to be tighter or just get a 3racing diff or such.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Something to always check too is that the shock bottoms are "loose" on the bottom ball stud—able to freely roll on the ball. When running a shorter length shock, with the bottoms screwed in a lot, the shock shaft can actually deform the plastic in some cases, causing binding. This can make the car inconsistent. Something I had to figure out the hard way years ago...
Old 11-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

just installed a tamiya ball diff in my m05. which side does the screw head go on left or right ? or it doesnt matter?
Old 11-03-2017, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by damang999
just installed a tamiya ball diff in my m05. which side does the screw head go on left or right ? or it doesnt matter?
Put the nut on the left side, it wont come off if loose. Had the dif ball, its nice, but I perfer to have the gear diff with grease...if dif ball fails, it automatically ends your run/race...sometimes its better to have simple. But dif ball does work in some situations, plus, sort of easier to change settings than having to take apart the whole car
Old 11-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

ok thanks. i have been running it with the nut on the right so you can adjust it from the left side of the car
Old 11-07-2017, 08:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is it just me, or are Tamiya titanium screws really soft? I’ve got several where the hex has distorted and today I stopped the head right out of one. I’m not that strong and I only use MIP/Thorp drivers. The amazing part is how much trouble I’m having trying to drill out the shank. Maybe I need better drill bits.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:44 AM
AWS
Tech Rookie

Hello.

Does anyone know, where i can buy a FF conversion Kit for the M05 like the Xevo or Spice Desire SRM-01?

Greetings from Germany

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.