Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 11-18-2016, 06:36 PM
  #28276  
Tech Initiate
 
mcmattila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 24
Default

Originally Posted by Schs2013
How long did it take you guys to build your M05v2 kits roughly? since I already have extra diffs prebuilt (the hope is that my existing ones will fit saving some built time.) I'm thinking without distractions 3Hours
Took me about 9-10hrs (around 3x3hr sessions) Though it has to be said that it was my first ever kit, I double checked all the screws before installing and had to do a couple of things twice as I noticed I had messed up..

A couple of days ago I received my order from RCMart. Some wheels, tires, spares and a couple of hop-ups - and a Christmas present! Promised myself I won't play with it before the holidays

I put on some golden racing numbers on my new mini, and tried a brand new set of wheels/tires. I do love the Alfa wheels! However, when I'll get a gold spray can, that black mini will be sporting a set of golden minilites.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-dsc_0270_small.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-mini_kenwood_alfawheel.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-mini_jps_4.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-mini_jps_5.jpg  
mcmattila is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 07:09 PM
  #28277  
Tech Fanatic
 
Schs2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 870
Default

Originally Posted by mcmattila
Took me about 9-10hrs (around 3x3hr sessions) Though it has to be said that it was my first ever kit, I double checked all the screws before installing and had to do a couple of things twice as I noticed I had messed up..

A couple of days ago I received my order from RCMart. Some wheels, tires, spares and a couple of hop-ups - and a Christmas present! Promised myself I won't play with it before the holidays

I put on some golden racing numbers on my new mini, and tried a brand new set of wheels/tires. I do love the Alfa wheels! However, when I'll get a gold spray can, that black mini will be sporting a set of golden minilites.
Very nice build.
Schs2013 is offline  
Old 11-19-2016, 08:06 AM
  #28278  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,034
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I don't know what shipping is to Australia, but unless you pack that bag full of stuff, the $35 USD plus on shipping to the US isn't worth it.
The $33.90 price is for a twin pack - you get two bodies for that price.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 11-19-2016, 10:55 AM
  #28279  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,899
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Listed my TCS Spec M05V2 with all the fixin's, add a receiver and go TCS racing.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...iver-race.html

madjack is offline  
Old 11-19-2016, 11:24 AM
  #28280  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Looks nice. GLWS!
sakadachi is offline  
Old 11-20-2016, 03:03 PM
  #28281  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 52
Default

Originally Posted by Schs2013
How long did it take you guys to build your M05v2 kits roughly? since I already have extra diffs prebuilt (the hope is that my existing ones will fit saving some built time.) I'm thinking without distractions 3Hours
First time i build m05 is 4 hours include cutting and painting the body..
Non stop.

Maybe now if i build another one.. just need 2 hours just for the kit
kytr8matic is offline  
Old 11-20-2016, 03:46 PM
  #28282  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

If I've got dampers preassembled and my cordless screwdriver, an M03 can be assembled in 10-15 minutes. I've never pulled off an M05 in under an hour. They're so fiddly.

My first M05 in 2009 was a 6 hour marathon, but I was working on the floor, used a regular screwdriver and took a lot of smoke breaks. Glad I don't smoke anymore.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 11-20-2016, 04:00 PM
  #28283  
Tech Fanatic
 
Schs2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 870
Default

no power tools for me
Schs2013 is offline  
Old 11-20-2016, 04:03 PM
  #28284  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,034
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
If I've got dampers preassembled and my cordless screwdriver, an M03 can be assembled in 10-15 minutes. I've never pulled off an M05 in under an hour. They're so fiddly.

My first M05 in 2009 was a 6 hour marathon, but I was working on the floor, used a regular screwdriver and took a lot of smoke breaks. Glad I don't smoke anymore.
It'd probably take me 10-15 minutes just to unpackage and de-sprue/trim the plastic parts
gigaplex is offline  
Old 11-20-2016, 04:04 PM
  #28285  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,034
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Schs2013
no power tools for me
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend using power tools on brand new untapped parts.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 11-20-2016, 07:16 PM
  #28286  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Keep the speed slow. Use the clutch to avoid over-tightening. I build with machine screws right out of the box, too.

It's certainly not ideal to have to slap a car together so fast, but it's doable.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 11-20-2016, 10:33 PM
  #28287  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I use a low power Panasonic driver with clutch too. The final tightening is by hand. I'm a dork when it comes to tools.

And I take my time building my cars.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 11-20-2016, 10:40 PM
  #28288  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CAWA
Posts: 38
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Tamiya Worlds 2016 question: What happend to all the BMW Mini bodies. Did they outlaw the bodies? I think the winner used a Mazda MX-5 body.
johntrickle2 is offline  
Old 11-20-2016, 10:47 PM
  #28289  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,034
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by johntrickle2
Tamiya Worlds 2016 question: What happend to all the BMW Mini bodies. Did they outlaw the bodies? I think the winner used a Mazda MX-5 body.
Tamiya didn't renew the license with BMW to continue producing Mini bodies. As a result they're now discontinued.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 11-20-2016, 10:58 PM
  #28290  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CAWA
Posts: 38
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

gigaplex- thank you, I do remember reading that on this forum. It was odd seeing no "Mini" bodies in a Mini Class. Now we'll see alot of Mazda Demio's soon if they make the wheel wells similar to the BMW Mini '06 nice and wide.
johntrickle2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.