Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 04:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SUNA
Thanks Marcos. Looks like it is hard to get...and it appears to be quite $$.
Kamtec in the UK do a cheap lexan version as well as an ABS version.

http://www.kamtec.co.uk/epages/BT464...Products/K0050

Can't vouch for fit or finesse, but definitely cheap.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

Also check out teambluegroove on ebay, they do a few Golf shells.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

I have a M05v2 upgraded chassis; I recently found out that I needed the 1.6mm spacer for my diff of which I didn't have before.

Problem is; When I put the spacer in as per directons; the diff binds. My only assumption is the motor plate I am using is still the older M05 motor plate; not the V2.

Since it clearly fits; should I bother to get another motor plate?

Thanks Big Dee for the shims; I'll return them if I don't need to get another motor plate.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:22 AM
Tech Regular

The M05 motor plate and the M05 VerII motor plate are different offsets.
You need to use the VerII plate with the VerII chassis.

Last edited by marcos graveyar; 10-09-2016 at 02:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Today I used some wire to stitch up the front of my Mini. I have no idea if/for how long this will hold up, but I sure do like the look!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-mini_kenwood_11.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-mini_kenwood_13.jpg  
Old 10-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcmattila
Today I used some wire to stitch up the front of my Mini. I have no idea if/for how long this will hold up, but I sure do like the look!
I feel like it wasn't that long ago that we saw that shell in pristine condition
Old 10-10-2016, 01:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Nahh..! That was like.. over.. a month ago. Man, it has really taken some beating But, this is my first car and I guess it's to be expected. And I've got two other bodies waiting to get painted!

I think the hardest hits came just a week ago (not counting a couple of spectacular jumps out of the raceway), when I installed a differential stiffing kit, and I just couldn't control the car. It turned out it was mostly the controller settings that were making my driving so twitchy, and yesterday after a friend adjusted some settings, I was really able to keep up with the big boys. Even shaved almost a second off my previous PB lap time that was done with the default open diff! Still, got a lot to improve on my driving lines..
Old 10-10-2016, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You should paint a mouth someplace on the front grill, oh man, Frankenmini!!!
Cool!
Old 10-10-2016, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you also coat the damaged area with ShoeGoo it should last a bit longer.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Gorilla Clear Repair tape! Clean the surface to be repaired with alcohol/brake cleaner/monkey spit first. Apply the tape to the flattest area first. Heat with a blow dryer or heat gun and mash it down into the curved areas. You might have to do a relief cut if it gets to a point where it's going to bunch up.

The stuff is strong as hell, flexes and sticks like there's no tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll see how I'll go about patching it further if/when it disintegrates any further. Currently there's some tape used to patch steam pipes behind the cracks, and it seems to stick nicely. The application wasn't the best though, so the stitches have some actual function in addition to good looks!

I don't know if we have Shoe Goo or anything similar where I live, but I do know that we have Gorilla tapes. I have a roll of the basic black one myself, and have been really happy with it.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:02 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll see how I'll go about patching it further if/when it disintegrates any further. Currently there's some tape used to patch steam pipes behind the cracks, and it seems to stick nicely. The application wasn't the best though, so the stitches have some actual function in addition to good looks!

I don't know if we have Shoe Goo or anything similar where I live, but I do know that we have Gorilla tapes. I have a roll of the basic black one myself, and have been really happy with it.
I use Goop. There is household and automotive versions. It's similar to Shoe Goo. You can get it at a hardware store.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So I've just been watching a build log of the Monte Carlo Mini M05 kit, and noticed that he had a serious issue where the body didn't actually fit on the chassis. It looks like the rear portion of the chassis has the version 2 droop brace added, even though it's a version 1 kit. Has anyone else noticed this kind of problem before?

Skip to the 16 minute mark if the link doesn't take you there directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SM4ELMYpUQ&t=16m00s
Old 10-15-2016, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gigaplex
So I've just been watching a build log of the Monte Carlo Mini M05 kit, and noticed that he had a serious issue where the body didn't actually fit on the chassis. It looks like the rear portion of the chassis has the version 2 droop brace added, even though it's a version 1 kit. Has anyone else noticed this kind of problem before?

Skip to the 16 minute mark if the link doesn't take you there directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SM4ELMYpUQ&t=16m00s
That's a v2 chassis for sure. The v2 doesn't come as anything other than a rolling chassis or as a spare part. Maybe the builder got it second hand or bought the v2 chassis without realising this limitation.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by irvinew
I have a M05v2 upgraded chassis; I recently found out that I needed the 1.6mm spacer for my diff of which I didn't have before.

Problem is; When I put the spacer in as per directons; the diff binds. My only assumption is the motor plate I am using is still the older M05 motor plate; not the V2.

Since it clearly fits; should I bother to get another motor plate?

Thanks Big Dee for the shims; I'll return them if I don't need to get another motor plate.
As said you definitely do need the v2 plate on a v2 or it doesn't offset the intermediate gear properly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.