Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oh Those Crazy Aussies!!!
Gotta Love Them!!!
They certainly looked like they were having fun on that Rally Course!!!
Im not gonna do anything that extreme, Well Maybe!!!

Thank You Gig!!! Appreciate the info!!!
Mike
Old 08-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Oh Those Crazy Aussies!!!
Gotta Love Them!!!
They certainly looked like they were having fun on that Rally Course!!!
Im not gonna do anything that extreme, Well Maybe!!!

Thank You Gig!!! Appreciate the info!!!
Mike
I bought the stuff to do this to my second car but never got around to it.
- I bought the m05ra c hubs, m-chassis rally tyres, m05ra front skid plate and side guards.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The rc-mini guys did this nearly 10 years ago. They jacked up the ride height, made a lexan skid plate to protect the nose, and used either RC18 or Mini-T tires. Other than that, they pretty much just used tape/bags to protect the electronics.

They did it on M03s, but other than having a harder time protecting the electronics, it should work the same for an M05.

https://youtu.be/Z-0Qh8zJx8I
Ooh, I forgot we did that!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aw11Clown View Post
You guys might be a bit biased, or not, but would you prefer a tt01/02 or a m05 for a car park basher?
I own both, -I think for bashing the TT02 is easier to drive from stock, -it just handles much better w/o having to do much to it. This is my opinion of course. Both are fun to drive though!

-If you do go for the TT02, I'd suggest the TT02 "S" Drift package. Sell the drift tires and build per instructions. Nothing different about the drift package except the hard plastic tires. But you do get nice fiber shock towers, aluminum drive shaft, and other aluminum bits. Go to the TT02 thread, lots of discussion there too.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Couple of questions,

All season I was placing either 2nd or 3rd in our mini class races. Doing great, was very happy. My front tires were at the point where I could start to see the foam, -totally worn.

2 races ago I replaced the front tires w/ brand new ones. At the same time I also tore my car apart and totally rebuilt as it had been awhile since I cleaned and re-lubricated everything. I noticed my gears had a few rough spots and some bearings needed replacement.

Fast forward..

New tires, new bearings where needed and new gears (sanded smooth), etc...

My last two races i've got 4th and 6th respectively. Mind you we have about 20 contestants and several mains. I am still in the A mains, but feel like my car is not handling the way I want ...something is amiss..

Here is what it's doing:
-on acceleration it seems to want to veer from one side to another
-too much traction and as a result wants to flip
-handles wildly

So,
I am now going back to the manual to check all the settings as I think my steering may be off just slightly and w/ new tires causing me to have unpredictable handling.

Mostly speaking aloud here...I think I can get it all back, then I plan to get some practice in to tweak it prior to my next race.

Question:
-Sway bars front and/or rear -use them or lose them?
I've been running w/ them, but thinking I may ditch them

-Tires, -how do you wear them in quickly ..I am running A slicks all around. I spent about 30min's last night just holding my car on the pavement and sliding the car along the concrete as I accelerate a bit ..evenly wearing them down. Getting a day's practice in at the track will help wear them down too ..But anyone have any other techniques?
Old 08-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

I am upgrading my car's lower arms front and rear, ...everything came in the mail yesterday. New smoother ball shafts, titanium hinges, and only 1 set of the carbon reinforced arms. Doh! Tamiya part #54614 contains ONLY one side. So you have to purchase 2 sets! -I wish I knew that prior to ordering, -I don't recall it being mentioned anywhere. ...so now have to wait another week for the other set to arrive (I don't have a LHS anywhere w/in an hour of me).
Old 08-12-2016, 01:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeah. That was kind of a dick move on Tamiya's part. They've been a bit funny lately. Cutting off Banzai again, rather than adjusting their wholesale pricing for international markets, was also rather dickish.

Oil and labour costs are down. They're slapping out legacy product in factories in Phillipines and Malaysia. I know the ¥ is up and the Nikkei down, but this is silly. Would love to see Tamiya USA become Tamiya North America and see them cut out Borgfeldt Canada and Horizon's distribution contracts. Too many middle men.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Bump for TCS Finals this weekend!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

What is the m-chassis to have nowadays? The m03 was hot when I was last into onroad 13yrs ago!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

TOP Racing Saber mini's. By far the best m-chassis imho to date.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

Most everyone expected to be in the A-main at this weekend's TCS race will be using M05 Version II's.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sakadachi
TOP Racing Saber mini's. By far the best m-chassis imho to date.
As nice as the Sabre is, the Atomic and the T1M are both worth considering.

Will you be getting an Xpress K1? They seem very innovative.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
As nice as the Sabre is, the Atomic and the T1M are both worth considering.

Will you be getting an Xpress K1? They seem very innovative.
Can you still buy the Atomic and parts for them? I looked everywhere 7-8 months ago and I could only locate one chassis new and only very limited supply of parts.

Is the Xpress K1 new? If so, I'd consider getting one this winter. I've been away for a while with my real car hobby since Spring so lost track of what came out.

Wasn't there another Chinese brand that was coming out with a CF double-deck m-chassis? CF double-deck is the only setup I will consider moving forward.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c
Couple of questions,

All season I was placing either 2nd or 3rd in our mini class races. Doing great, was very happy. My front tires were at the point where I could start to see the foam, -totally worn.

2 races ago I replaced the front tires w/ brand new ones. At the same time I also tore my car apart and totally rebuilt as it had been awhile since I cleaned and re-lubricated everything. I noticed my gears had a few rough spots and some bearings needed replacement.

Fast forward..

New tires, new bearings where needed and new gears (sanded smooth), etc...

My last two races i've got 4th and 6th respectively. Mind you we have about 20 contestants and several mains. I am still in the A mains, but feel like my car is not handling the way I want ...something is amiss..

Here is what it's doing:
-on acceleration it seems to want to veer from one side to another
-too much traction and as a result wants to flip
-handles wildly

So,
I am now going back to the manual to check all the settings as I think my steering may be off just slightly and w/ new tires causing me to have unpredictable handling.

Mostly speaking aloud here...I think I can get it all back, then I plan to get some practice in to tweak it prior to my next race.

Question:
-Sway bars front and/or rear -use them or lose them?
I've been running w/ them, but thinking I may ditch them

-Tires, -how do you wear them in quickly ..I am running A slicks all around. I spent about 30min's last night just holding my car on the pavement and sliding the car along the concrete as I accelerate a bit ..evenly wearing them down. Getting a day's practice in at the track will help wear them down too ..But anyone have any other techniques?
Almost certainly the issue is that the fresh front tyres and the old rear tyres have ruined the handling balance - the fresh front tyres will have a lot more grip relative to the rear, and that is what is making it grabby.

I would replace the rears as well, or if you were running the same tyres all round, you could try swapping the fronts and rears so the fresh rubber is on the rear axle.

A re-assembly mistake might also be the cause but less likely. Sway bars on their own wouldn't be the sole problem.

You shouldn't need to scrub in tyres for a long period. I find that fresh tyres will have had the edge taken off them within 5 minutes on the track.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I dusted off my M03 chassis and gave it some life. First I went brushless with a Tamiya 18T motor then I dremeled the chassis to fit a square LiPo, this makes fitting the body perfect no bulges on the side anymore due to the battery wires then I finished it off by finally painting a Toyota Vitz body (tamiya PS-32 corsa gray). I had this thing sitting for about two years because the battery would only last a few minutes. But now I can run much longer since I will be using A LiPo.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-vitz.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-chassis.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.