Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Curious to explore the possibilities but hopeful. Changed my set up for the colder track temps in A3. Edge but drivable. Can't imagine a setup w/o glue with the S-grips
Old 08-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AngryRog
Maybe, if I stumble across a correct setup. We Mini guys are too secretive about most stuff.
Come on Rog, not true at all. Most of the Mafia guys will share 98% of their info. The other 2% you'll have to figure out on your own. Now that I think of it, I showed you the other 2%. If you didn't recognize it, maybe you weren't ready to hear it. By the way, congrats on a good showing. Looks like it's coming along just fine.

Yeah, you do stumble into some set ups, but most are by design. I'll admit to getting totally lost at times. When we went to the 21.5, that was a traumatic time. Once I figured out what the car was doing, it only took one change to dial the car in.

Looking forward to developing a set up for the 05. My 05 is super stable with a can. Might be good with the faster 21.5s.

Last edited by Granpa; 08-27-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

I know I'm kind of going "crystal ball" here, but has anyone heard at all if the 21.5's are here to stay in TCS? I was skeptical at first, but the more I run the car, the more I like the change....
Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Supposedly the Tamiya 16.5 handouts are here to stay.. I dont remember any of the guys that have been playing with the 21.5 say they didnt like the added speed. But for some reason TCS sanction likes to keep them 'slow'.. That being said I was surprised at how much 'rip' the Tamiya 16.5 has. They do get a little 'un interesting' down the straight, but once it comes to the infield it does make for some excitement. Truth be told, our minis were as fast as some of the GT3 21.5-shod cars down the straight. And just as stable if not moreso. A lil more uuhhmmff shouldn't hurt..

I peronally think somewhere between the current two bookends would be much more enjoyable without shredding thru tires. One set lasted all weekend with no issues whatsoever as far as wear and and/or grip even during the 8min Mains. There still a significant deliniation between the Tread and Groove on the set I used.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:18 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
Supposedly the Tamiya 16.5 handouts are here to stay.. I dont remember any of the guys that have been playing with the 21.5 say they didnt like the added speed. But for some reason TCS sanction likes to keep them 'slow'.. That being said I was surprised at how much 'rip' the Tamiya 16.5 has. They do get a little 'un interesting' down the straight, but once it comes to the infield it does make for some excitement. Truth be told, our minis were as fast as some of the GT3 21.5-shod cars down the straight. And just as stable if not moreso. A lil more uuhhmmff shouldn't hurt..

I peronally think somewhere between the current two bookends would be much more enjoyable without shredding thru tires. One set lasted all weekend with no issues whatsoever as far as wear and and/or grip even during the 8min Mains. There still a significant deliniation between the Tread and Groove on the set I used.
what the hell is the 16.5?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Come on Rog, not true at all. Most of the Mafia guys will share 98% of their info. The other 2% you'll have to figure out on your own. Now that I think of it, I showed you the other 2%. If you didn't recognize it, maybe you weren't ready to hear it. By the way, congrats on a good showing. Looks like it's coming along just fine.

Yeah, you do stumble into some set ups, but most are by design. I'll admit to getting totally lost at times. When we went to the 21.5, that was a traumatic time. Once I figured out what the car was doing, it only took one change to dial the car in.

Looking forward to developing a set up for the 05. My 05 is super stable with a can. Might be good with the faster 21.5s.
True, Mafia guys have been very helpful. My varying degrees of 2% have now boiled down diff builds which seem to be a bit of an art form. I have 'some' info, but not whole stories. My current diffs are ok, but more to learn.

Thanks for the props. I made setup changes throughout the day, the toughest being A3, it was a guess as I've never run there that late in the day. Car was edgy, but driveable.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
what the hell is the 16.5?
Tamiyas 'branded' handout motor which we used for the event. We all think they labeled them wrong... Its slower than everyone elses (the rest of the RC world) 21.5s on the market currently, cranked or not. Im guessing its proper labeling shoud be 25.5 comparatively.

Actually they label it 16T.. Not 16.5. my mistake

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=45049
Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Good insight Orlando, thanks!
I suppose in the end whatever is most cost-effective for Tamiya and the racers is best. I'm digging the sound of a motor that allows tires to last more than a couple weekends. I couldn't believe how bad my S Grips looked after the last club race!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So in the TCS Mini Finals are they running silver can handouts, or are they running Tamiya branded BL systems? I was under the impression that the esc's and motors were all BL name brands (novak, tekin, lrp, etc.). Am I wrong about that?

Sorry for the newb question, just getting started. Want to get am M05 pro soon...
Old 08-27-2014, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OGRC
So in the TCS Mini Finals are they running silver can handouts, or are they running Tamiya branded BL systems? I was under the impression that the esc's and motors were all BL name brands (novak, tekin, lrp, etc.). Am I wrong about that?

Sorry for the newb question, just getting started. Want to get am M05 pro soon...
Just the motor.

There is a TCS thread and this topic came about around this post

There sure was a lot of money spent by various people on 21.5 motors for what turned out to be just one (regional) race...
Old 08-27-2014, 11:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tried my M-05 Ver.II out on the short track on Sunday. Feels very promising. had to turn the steering WAY down and chucked in a handful of exponential.

As for the 16T bl motor thing, I'm pretty sure the specs on that motor are about the same as our spec motors here. They take some getting used to. The biggest change is dealing with gobs of torque off the line, then hitting the rev ceiling very quickly. The car accelerates like a demon then just stops. It's like hitting a moving brick wall.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
As for the 16T bl motor thing, I'm pretty sure the specs on that motor are about the same as our spec motors here. They take some getting used to. The biggest change is dealing with gobs of torque off the line, then hitting the rev ceiling very quickly. The car accelerates like a demon then just stops. It's like hitting a moving brick wall.
Yep, with the SC on carpet, we would sweep the corners, keeping as much speed as possible. Now its point to point racing. Who can turn the tightest, get both wheels straight to get the power down to the max. I love watching races between the FWD and the RWD. Entering the corner, the FWD can attack the entry, while the RWD are careful on the brakes. On exit, the RWD squats and accelerates hard, while the FWD spin the tires. Its great to drive and watch
Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Tamiyas 'branded' handout motor which we used for the event. We all think they labeled them wrong... Its slower than everyone elses (the rest of the RC world) 21.5s on the market currently, cranked or not. Im guessing its proper labeling shoud be 25.5 comparatively.

Actually they label it 16T.. Not 16.5. my mistake

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=45049
Sounds good.. Just hate I've bought as many 21.5's as I have lol...
Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

some of the worst luck in TCS history.. hahahaha

gut wrenching... Orlando, you might not want to watch that... it's painful... Sharing for those that were not there.

And this livery surefire way to win next years racers choice concourse... you'd get my vote!

better luck next time! (it's almost impossible not to)
Old 08-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SRC_DRIVER
Sounds good.. Just hate I've bought as many 21.5's as I have lol...
Yeah, you and me both. Sure wish that the TCS people would do a little "long range" planning. As of right now it seems as if a lot of things are in limbo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.