Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anyone plan on being down at the Tamiya track this Saturday? My wife wants to take a trip to LA and I told her I wanted to take the mini to the track and she agreed.

Jason
Old 01-28-2014, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

It's a rare weekend with no Minis in attendance. There are several of us that run every week. Check the weather cause there is a chance of rain Saturday.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

Awesome good to know. Plan on test running the newly brushless and rebuilt mini.

Jason
Old 01-29-2014, 06:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Quick question guys for those that run the standard gear diff, what did you use to seal the grease/oil in to prevent leaking?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Green_Machine
Quick question guys for those that run the standard gear diff, what did you use to seal the grease/oil in to prevent leaking?
You really can't effectively seal the Tamiya gear diff if you're packing it with oil or grease. Some will use some sort of "putty" instead of oil or grease. IMO the best way to "tighten" the diff action is to use extra shims. If you must use a gear diff there are several on the market, that I'm told do not leak.

The easiest solution to the diff problems is the TA03 ball diff.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Green_Machine
not much you can do really, unless you are running incredibly thick oil, like 1m, its gonna leak, and if it doesnt leak, its gonna spread out.

hopefully mine should be a winner on sunday, for my local championship, 7 points behind 1st and i think every time apart from 2 i TQ'd

Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa
You really can't effectively seal the Tamiya gear diff if you're packing it with oil or grease. Some will use some sort of "putty" instead of oil or grease. IMO the best way to "tighten" the diff action is to use extra shims. If you must use a gear diff there are several on the market, that I'm told do not leak.

The easiest solution to the diff problems is the TA03 ball diff.
How does the TA03 ball diff compare to a shimmed gear diff? Can it be tightened so they feel about the same?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)

I have another question.

When I'm not using my Mini, I'd like to mount the body lower, but it seems it hits the front shock tower. Is there a way to mount it any lower?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jha07
How does the TA03 ball diff compare to a shimmed gear diff? Can it be tightened so they feel about the same?
I like the TA03 diff, but found I could never get it tight enough reliably and it required a little more attention that my shimmed stock diff. (3 shims per side, a tiny bad of anti-wear, tighten case screws carefully and evenly, adjust screws to modify tension. A tiny hole drilled on the outside of the chassis allows a screwdriver to access the case screws while the cars is assembled.)

Other have had better luck with the TA03 diff than I have, so don't take my words as gospel.

I set my gear diff up to feel about the same as an oil filled diff with 500K silicone. Works pretty well, is low maintenance and cheap. Haven't really touched it in quite a while. It just works for me.

I do have an oil filled diff in my 05. It's pretty good, but I still somehow prefer the shimmed stock unit. Maybe it's because I'm nervous about it letting go and filling my gearbox with silicone goo. Never seen it happen, but the doubt is always there.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey, sorry for back to back posts, but I've got a question: How do you keep the bottom caps on your shocks from backing off? I sem to be forever retightening the bottom caps on mine. I'm using both the older bronze coloured dampers as well as the current blue. (they're the same thing, really)
Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I like the TA03 diff, but found I could never get it tight enough reliably and it required a little more attention that my shimmed stock diff. (3 shims per side, a tiny bad of anti-wear, tighten case screws carefully and evenly, adjust screws to modify tension. A tiny hole drilled on the outside of the chassis allows a screwdriver to access the case screws while the cars is assembled.)

Other have had better luck with the TA03 diff than I have, so don't take my words as gospel.

I set my gear diff up to feel about the same as an oil filled diff with 500K silicone. Works pretty well, is low maintenance and cheap. Haven't really touched it in quite a while. It just works for me.

I do have an oil filled diff in my 05. It's pretty good, but I still somehow prefer the shimmed stock unit. Maybe it's because I'm nervous about it letting go and filling my gearbox with silicone goo. Never seen it happen, but the doubt is always there.
As someone who has actually filled their gearbox with goo (Automotive bearing lube) thinking that it was the proper care procedures, it sounds harder than it is to clean. Crack the case, and blast the sucker with "Goop" and "Oops" cleaners (not at the same time) and it'll clean up like new. After I cleaned that goop out of the case, I stopped melting battery connectors, and stopped having torque and coasting issues.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

a bit of threadlock will surely stop that from happening
Old 01-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Hey, sorry for back to back posts, but I've got a question: How do you keep the bottom caps on your shocks from backing off? I sem to be forever retightening the bottom caps on mine. I'm using both the older bronze coloured dampers as well as the current blue. (they're the same thing, really)
Jim, the best way is to clean both the threads on the shock body and the cap with a degreaser. I suspect that when assembling your shocks, they weren't clean. I usually just wipe mine and have rarely had a problem, but using a degreaser will eliminate the problem.

Threadlock is NEVER, EVER a good idea on threads this fine. You'll have a difficult time removing the cap and may lose a set of shocks.

Also, you can build a TA03 ball diff very tight. There are a couple of ways to do this which I've posted more than once. Also, Tamiya makes some nylon(?) diff balls that will give you something that resembles a spool. Can't remember the part number, but I did get a set from TQ. Will build a diff with those if I ever race on carpet.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys was putting in a set of 3racing C hubs tonight and when putting together front axle the 3x14 standard issue step screws dont fit!! Bit baffled as never heard of these needing diff screws from original. Any ideas??
Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can anyone supply some links to M-Chassis rally cars? All the old threads' links are no good it seems. I wanna put together an m03RA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.