Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
No, not saying that. Many people, probably most people, have special skills including the mentally deficient and insane. In fact I believe that much human behavior drifts from stupidity to insanity with lapses into "normalcy". Some is genius.

The question then becomes, "where in the range of human behavior does the making and use of axle bearing spacers lie".

The above was meant for your amusement and not meant as a "dig".
Hmm. Maybe this is another one of those cultural impedance mismatches. In Oz land we're quite light hearted or maybe just thicker skinned, who knows? either way, not everyhting is taken to heart.

Seriously, your anvil comment was a good one. I won't forget it easily. Still makes me laugh.

But your question about human behaviour made me meditate a bit. I will think a bit about it (just finished Pirsig's Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, and am a lot more reflexive than before, and I am rather reflexive normally). Right now, not sure where this falls, perhaps in the "too much time on one's hands"?

There is a place for those axle sims as I said, on some Yokomo axles. Though thinking about it, I realised I mixed and matched a lot of axles (I have a broad spectrum of cars from almost all manufacturers) and in the process I may have anded up with a real need to shim/space hexes on axles.

I appreciate someone who makes me think (just like Pirsig). Gives me something to do whilst grinding spacers, hehehehe!

Last edited by niznai; 10-01-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by niznai
Hmm. Maybe this is another one of those cultural impedance mismatches. In Oz land we're quite light hearted or maybe just thicker skinned, who knows? either way, not everyhting is taken to heart.

Seriously, your anvil comment was a good one. I won't forget it easily. Still makes me laugh.

But your question about human behaviour made me meditate a bit. I will think a bit about it (just finished Pirsig's Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, and am a lot more reflexive than before, and I am rather reflexive normally). Right now, not sure where this falls, perhaps in the "too much time on one's hands"?

There is a place for those axle sims as I said, on some Yokomo axles. Though thinking about it, I realised I mixed and matched a lot of axles (I have a broad spectrum of cars from almost all manufacturers) and in the process I may have anded up with a real need to shim/space hexes on axles.

I appreciate someone who makes me think (just like Pirsig). Gives me something to do whilst grinding spacers, hehehehe!
You lost me when you got to Zen. My reading tends more to Hayek, Friedman, and Thomas Sowell. Outside of R/C, my attention turns to money. Probably due to my making my living as a speculator.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm having a strange problem with the steering on my m05. It wants to steer right when going forwards and left when reversing. trimming for forwards makes reverse worse, obviously. I can see the steering tugging to the right when I push the car. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2hundy
I'm having a strange problem with the steering on my m05. It wants to steer right when going forwards and left when reversing. trimming for forwards makes reverse worse, obviously. I can see the steering tugging to the right when I push the car. Any ideas what could be causing this?
It could be bad bearings in the hub or diff outdrives, most probably on the left side. It also could be a diff issue. Its time to tear it apart.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

I'm probably missing what the problem is here, but why are you going in reverse?????:confuse d:

But seriously, if you're running the stock steering linkage it's probably tweaked. Also a car that pulls right going forwards will naturally pull left in reverse. Not strange at all

Last edited by Granpa; 10-01-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm thinking one of your shocks are longer than the others or one of your springs are longer or preloaded more than the others. Also you may have a bearing siezing up. just my 2 cents.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jsinclair
It could be bad bearings in the hub or diff outdrives, most probably on the left side. It also could be a diff issue. Its time to tear it apart.
Sorry about that, missed your post. Bearings are cheap and easy replacement to try. good advice.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

I'm probably missing what the problem is here, but why are you going in reverse?????:confuse d:

But seriously, if you're running the stock steering linkage it's probably tweaked. Also a car that pulls right going forwards will naturally pull left in reverse. Not strange at all
Sorry about that. I'm dead wrong. Didn't think your problem thru and posted w/out thinking. You know, open mouth, insert foot.

If your car goes right going forward, it will go in a circle clockwise in relation to it's direction of movement. Now, if I understand you correctly, in reverse your car goes left in a clockwise circle also.

You do have an unusual problem cause that seems almost impossible. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea as to what might cause this.

Last edited by Granpa; 10-01-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Does any body run a 17.5 or 13.5 motor in their M05 or M03 with the tekin rs esc, i am looking for some advice on settings for the esc.

Most of everything i read is for TC or off road stuff, so any help i can get will be nice.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

You lost me when you got to Zen. My reading tends more to Hayek, Friedman, and Thomas Sowell. Outside of R/C, my attention turns to money. Probably due to my making my living as a speculator.
Does it work ?

Classic american novel. Pirsig only wrote two books in his life, so not that common to come across even though he sold a huge number of copies. Kinda said what he had to say and moved on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and...le_Maintenance

Give it a shot.

Last edited by niznai; 10-01-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry about that. I'm dead wrong. Didn't think your problem thru and posted w/out thinking. You know, open mouth, insert foot.

If your car goes right going forward, it will go in a circle clockwise in relation to it's direction of movement. Now, if I understand you correctly, in reverse your car goes left in a clockwise circle also.

You do have an unusual problem cause that seems almost impossible. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea as to what might cause this.
That is exactly what it is doing. I ve changed the hub and diff bearings and it's still doing the same. The front right corner seems to be the problem. The wheel turns right when I push the car forward and left when I push it backward. I changed the suspension lower arm, upper link and c hub, still the same. Could it be the ta03 ball diff?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

How much slop is there between the chassis and the lower arm? How about between the lower arm and the C hub? Finally, how about the ball stud on the steering knuckle? I've had those come loose and make my car do some weird things. It's also possible the rod ends on the steering linkage are worn.

The only other thing I could think of is that the halves of the lower arm aren't screwed together all the way, allowing for a lot of movement.

The diff shouldn't be able to cause any movement as you've described it. It really sounds like it's further outboard than that.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

This is a bit more common than it may seem. One of the problems causing this (in my experience) is unequal toe on either front, rear or both ends.

Chassis tweak is the other one (be it accompanied by uneven shock spring load or not - this by itself doesn't cause such problems if they're "close enough" - i.e. most of the time).

Excessive and perhaps uneven play in the steering (remember powered wheels toe in in the direction of movement, rolling wheels toe out) and/or suspension arms at either or both ends of the car.

And so on.

Basically, the car needs to be dismantled and checked step-by-step from the top. A setup station like the Hudy would pinpoint the problem straight away.

Last edited by niznai; 10-02-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think I might've worked out what's causing my steering problem.

The ball connectors are loose allowing the toe to change. What is stopping the toe change evenly left and right is the servo saver. It allows a little movement in one direction but not the other. It's a kimbrough large. Can these be opened up to check the spring? I'm toying with the idea of not bothering with one and just using a servo horn, I use a spektrum partial metal geared servo.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

If the servo saver has a different action in each direction, it is definitely at fault. Check the spline. The Kimbrough's aren't intended to be maintained, they are cheap to replace. Personally I use the Tamiya High-torque servo saver. Without a saver, your servo might survive, but I'd also be concerned about the plastic parts elsewhere taking too much of the impact instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.