Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
You too! -HA
Since when were there so many doll enthusiasts? Maybe its because I am into RC'ing but it seems like there are a lot of guys who are into this ...you'd think a RC hobby shop in a major city would do okay?
What's really weird is that here in NY City, there are few and far between hobby shops anymore. I know of only five in the city and only three of them carry rc stuff
I realize that rents here are ridiculous but with the ptices that are being charged for
the gear we buy that it would off set it, but I guess being a small specility based business
Is tough these days!!!
I live in San Francisco, -we have 1 million people and another 5 million in the surrounding cities. We don't have much, nothing that specializes in RC racing. You have to drive about an hour or so out of the city to find something decent. Anyway, it is what it is.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

On good prepped asphalt the Type Bs are awesome. I personally wouldn't run them in any other situation. As mentioned...they seem to have more grip while not folding over so no traction rolling.
Type B in front, and type A in the rear, but all with proline CA glue on the sidewalls.... Other CA glues don't seem to give the same flex as proline, causing more rollovers, at least on my m03... I also use blue spring rear and yellow front with tamiya TC shocks...
Thanks Guys,
It seems that it may be worth getting a pair of B's to test out. I've been using A's in front and have set my mini up around them ...but B's may give me a bit more side-wall strength it sounds like? ...okay some B's are on my list.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
Thanks Guys,
It seems that it may be worth getting a pair of B's to test out. I've been using A's in front and have set my mini up around them ...but B's may give me a bit more side-wall strength it sounds like? ...okay some B's are on my list.
Back when I was running RWD minis (we only race on carpet in the winter), I used to swap to type B's on the front to drop the front grip when the track groove really came up over a multi-day event - to stop oversteer on corner entry. The type B's were so hard that I didn't need to CA the edges of the tire to prevent traction roll. I have never had a use for them on the FWD cars, as the S-grips front and rear are our tire of choice up here.

If you are outside on hot asphalt, you can safely ignore all of my post, however they definitely do have more sidewall strength compared to the type As. My experience echo's Howardcano's - just below industrial diamond on the hardness scale.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

If you are outside on hot asphalt, you can safely ignore all of my post, however they definitely do have more sidewall strength compared to the type As. My experience echo's Howardcano's - just below industrial diamond on the hardness scale.
Thanks,
I think the only way for me to know will be to try them out. Fortunately they are less $$ than the A's and I only need 1 pair, not an entire set. My A's are a bit soft on the side wall, but I think that may be helping me a tad as it absorbs some of the corner speed/entry.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry to interrupt a nice conversation on tires, but if you had the below choices, which would you choose?

1. new M01 in box
2. new Sabre4WD Mini

After all the tuning on my SabreFD Mini, it is effortlessly leagues faster than my V2 right now.. thus the V2 tuning I am doing this week.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry to interrupt a nice conversation on tires, but if you had the below choices, which would you choose?

1. new M01 in box
2. new Sabre4WD Mini

After all the tuning on my SabreFD Mini, it is effortlessly leagues faster than my V2 right now.. thus the V2 tuning I am doing this week.

That is difficult to answer,
The M01 won't perform like the Sabre 4wd ...its like comparing a BMW Isetta and a Ferrari 480 Italia. The Isetta doesn't peform, but its a classic. The 480 is a beast.

I have the Sabre 4WD mini, -it is beautiful! It performs like a true 1/10 TC. Performance wise the Sabre 4wd mini may be the best "mini" RC car in existence ...that is my opinion of course. All the HPI "Cup Racer" bodies fit on the Sabre, -the Tamiya bodies probably fit too (I just haven't tried them). The M01 on the other hand is a fun little car in its own right.

My opinion (which is probably different than others), ..the M01 just looks like a plastic toy to me, the Sabre ...that is some impressive RC design ..carbon fiber, alloy, and composite plastics ..nice stuff!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

That is difficult to answer,
The M01 won't perform like the Sabre 4wd ...its like comparing a BMW Isetta and a Ferrari 480 Italia. The Isetta doesn't peform, but its a classic. The 480 is a beast.

I have the Sabre 4WD mini, -it is beautiful! It performs like a true 1/10 TC. Performance wise the Sabre 4wd mini may be the best "mini" RC car in existence ...that is my opinion of course. All the HPI "Cup Racer" bodies fit on the Sabre, -the Tamiya bodies probably fit too (I just haven't tried them). The M01 on the other hand is a fun little car in its own right.

My opinion (which is probably different than others), ..the M01 just looks like a plastic toy to me, the Sabre ...that is some impressive RC design ..carbon fiber, alloy, and composite plastics ..nice stuff!
Thanks for your comments, eR1c! Yeah, I know the M01's not much of a contender in any way in stock form, but I want one to keep in my collection just to make my Tamiya FWD m-chassis collection complete.

But then, seeing how kickass my FWD SabreMini is (I mean this thing literally drives fast effortlessly), I can't help but to think how GREAT the 4WD would be and want that in my collection too.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for your comments, eR1c! Yeah, I know the M01's not much of a contender in any way in stock form, but I want one to keep in my collection just to make my Tamiya FWD m-chassis collection complete.
For this reason the M01 makes sense to me. I get that, I have an old/original Mac Classic sitting near my work table that is silly in terms of computing power ...yet I love how its a classic. The M01's will just go up in price ...so you may want to snag one while you can.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

For this reason the M01 makes sense to me. I get that, I have an old/original Mac Classic sitting near my work table that is silly in terms of computing power ...yet I love how its a classic. The M01's will just go up in price ...so you may want to snag one while you can.
I have a ClassicII myself, and a NuBus PowerMac 5100 from back in the day. I even have the original blue iMac., a couple of Powerbooks.

But yes, while I am a Tamiya enthusiast as of late, I decided to go with the SabreMini4WD. I should have mine in a couple of weeks.

So in the meantime, I need to order more M-Four body posts to put a Tamiya Rover Mini body on it.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Buy both. I would.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Ha, I have a powermac 7100 too!
Do you remember the "Quadras" -That was the first Mac I truly worked on. My dad had a Mac II (from the very early 80's ...not sure what ever happened to it).

------
Sabre 4WD Mini! -Congrat's!!
Let me know if you have any questions. ...there is a thread for the Sabre 4WD mini in these forums. ...see you over there!
Old 08-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by patorz31
Buy both. I would.
You know me, I might just do that. But for now, I'm going to concentrate on the Sabre4WD Mini.

Ha, I have a powermac 7100 too!
Do you remember the "Quadras" -That was the first Mac I truly worked on. My dad had a Mac II (from the very early 80's ...not sure what ever happened to it).

------
Sabre 4WD Mini! -Congrat's!!
Let me know if you have any questions. ...there is a thread for the Sabre 4WD mini in these forums. ...see you over there!
Oh sorry, I meant 7100, not 5100! I do remember the Quadra's!

Thanks, I do have a couple of questions; I will post in the Sabre4WD Mini thread.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use Type B... for drifting...
Old 08-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

I use Type B... for drifting...
-so you guys aren't kidding when you said they are nearly as hard as diamond!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Sooooo on asphalt is the type b more durable or last longer??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.