Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree13Likes

RCLAB 7even Cars.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

so how did you do in the end? Does the old girl still have it?

Originally Posted by chrisimp
I'll just turn these upside down aka rc10 buggy era to shift the weight
mmmhhh no. This increases unsprung weight, and more than offsets the benefits of a lower cg...

Old 10-03-2019, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

actually really well on a track I'd never been at against some quick guys it came off pretty well. small track though.

on the 13th it's/and me are up against some of the best on a huge indoor carpet track so will be a challenge to see how we get on then!
Lonestar likes this.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Chris it did look really good on the track, if anything to looked less nervous than the modern chassis. I'll have to dig mine out again now.
chrisimp likes this.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GlenMoore1
what are the main differences between the 6.0 pro and the 5.2 pro? whis car is better? stronger?

what are the common parts that break?

the reason im asking is i want to try something different (currently drive a tc3).

thanks alot
Heres a little info UK based but should help. the USA had different number versions but the same cars. if you find a 5.2ttt dont run it, its weaker than the others and was a development mule before public release. the earlier two versions had all the same suspension components so the main differences were battery location and top deck height

The RcLab range of cars started circa 2001 – 2005. In the uk the first released model being the 7.6 which then was updated into the 7.7 and finally the gt3 was released.

Manufactured in China at the same time of the Xpress range of cars they were an interesting design with the motor centre mounted and centre layshaft high up above, this idea was to increase the amount of downward torque being pushed down towards the chassis and differentials.

Made from a combination of carbon fibre and aluminium they are a really nice strong built car which bolted together very well. With minimal to no chassis twist front to rear the suspension is left to do the work it was meant to.

Main differences between the 7.6 and 7.7 chassis are

The 7.7 had plastic inserts in the battery slots in the chassis, the 7.6 batteries just sat in the chassis slots. The Evo1 version of the 7.6 has the motor attached to the separate flat plate that bolts onto the motor bridge mounts, so you could move the motor across the chassis to adjust balance.

Battery location in the 7.7 has been moved forward by 3mm toward the motor

Blue anodised aluminium (some 7.7 where produced in blue)

Top decks are higher than the 7.6

Differential outdrive material variations added Plastic being the main fitment.

Wishbones are held to the chassis using a separate block bolted to the chassis rather than being part of the bulkheads, resulting in a firmer more secure pin arrangement and the option of different camber settings being useable.

The GT3 was a further attempt to refine many key areas over the previous models, this included changes to the wishbone mounts with outer cross bar mounts being utilised, battery location changing again and different front top deck design along with different steering block and rear uprights which where all unique to the GT3.

Over the years parts where changed, improved and different variations available depending on the interest of the driver and their quest to improve their own cars, these include items such as differential outdrives, axles, uprights, front C hubs and suspension units.

Each model had two types of variations which were either aimed at the club racer or someone who aspired to own the high spec model intended for the serious racer. Lower spec models used items made from plastic rather than aluminium (bulkheads, centre motor/layshaft mount halves, and shock towers.

BuggyFan21 likes this.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:31 AM
Tech Adept

Old 10-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

it's all about the flex these days ain't it?! so the lab is from the era of let the shocks do the work not the chassis, so it's rock solid, which during foams on carpet was great the grip level was ridiculous.

I'm also from the era so to add flex is a little backward to me but got to jump with the times. (although it's going great as is, it's good to have options)

from left to right lots of flex to zero. std usual one is second from the right.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

well I ran the lab at the big indoor event for practice and rd1 after that I ran a tamiya I had with me and decided to stick with the tamiya as it was more on the pace than the lab for the first event. I wanted to take it back home and make changes (very minor) to it and will bring it back out to play for the next event at the end of November where it should be fully on the pace.

Wasn't far off just missing that little bit needed which would have hurt my qualifying for the finals, on a setup day I would have been able to bring it up to the same level easily. after first round of qually I was placed 24th out of 39 with easily the oldest car! a few pictures, really looking forward to next time hope the circuit suits me!!

changes are rear springs on the front and black softer springs on the rear. also fitted my first option of flex available on the rear top deck.

in the end both my cars got me into 10th B final and finished 4th. my main goal was to get into the B and really made up with the finishing position. fingers crossed next time is just as good!

Old 01-02-2022, 01:59 AM
Tech Adept

Well it's been two years or so since I last posted anything lab related, covid happened didn't it 😒 the big events in 2018/19 didn't happen again in 2019/20 but started November last year for this season.

The lab has been piloted by my son in 17.5t spec class as his first TC outings and he's done really well with it, the lab being the tank that it is has been pretty faultless, only struggling with the typical rear diff on these failing, we used the ta04 diff but became very inconsistent in runs due to being unsealed.

For mainly future reference and anyone else, ta07 37tooth sealed gear diff has now been fitted in the GT3 with the use of flanged bearings and shims to position the diff nicely inline with the centre pulley.

So with that being done it's becoming more and more future proof with brushless power being more aggressive on the drivechain 😎 next a different front spool to save the old lab ones, again probably tamiya, if only I had my old ta07 still 🤦

for the next round or two he's been gifted the use of a modern/current chassis so we can see if he's being messed up with the lab being inconsistent (not ran with the new diff yet) so I will at some point give the lab a shakedown to confirm running.

But the Lab lives on!
Dan the Man and h2e like this.