Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

This is the way it is.

These are the USVTA rules and this is how the class has been developed. There are a dozen other classes to run NiMh 6-cell packs in, and two other motor options that allow NiMh cells in Trans Am. 6-cell packs have never been an option and never will be.

We cannot make everyone happy. If you don't like it, you don't have to run Trans Am.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

ApexSpeed: Seems that with all the testing etc you went through to determine optimal battery and motor combinations, you must have done this with a 6 cell NIMH and decided why its a no go with 21.5 lipo. Thats what I wanted to know. If you tested 6 cell NIMH, and how you reached your conclusion. Not sure why that is a problem in asking you this...
Old 06-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Exactly how hard is it to police a 6 cell nimh battery pack??

Have you been at a race and been looking at the "team" sponsored cars and their batteries? and thought to yourself, "hmmm those 3800's look different than the ones I have" ?? been there, done that, and found out later, they were actually 4200's. how hard is that? you tell me
Old 06-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Cain, just follow your local club rules for TA and when it's time for a TA sanctioned event follow those rules.

Why stir the pot?

What do you run now?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Legend

losi nut: so you have factory drivers that were running 4200s that were labeled as 3800s? Hopefully guys don't cheat and do that by running illegal lipos in legal Lipo cases.

chicagokenji: Not sure how its stiring the pot to ask the main guy why he came up with his decision. I liked how here it was stated how things came to being and how the testing was done to determine what to run. I just wanted to know what was the testing that caused the decision. thats all.

As for what we run now, nothing USVTA. there has been discussion with guys wanting to run this for the winter, I think it would be great and would like to run it.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

basically the only reason lipo is allowed is because there is a 21.5 motor. If you want to run nimh run a 17.5 or 27t seems pretty simple...i would think you would be at a disadvantage running 6cell as the FDR is setup for Lipo which has the better discharge curve
Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Legend

I agree thatI think it would be a disadvantage as well, which is why I was wondering what was the reasoning behind not allowing them with a 21.5 brushless motor, like the 7.4V lipos.

nevermind though. I can see this already is going to get heated for no reason other than a question, so I'll drop it.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Lipos needed to be added to the class, since so many guys run them now. Unfortunately, you're stuck with 7.4v, so you need a motor to get you close in speed to the other power combinations. The 21.5 is really only there for that reason.

Nimh are probably still faster than lipos at this point, especially in the stock motor type classes. *Very* few people ran lipo at the ROAR nationals in March in stock, and nobody in the A mains for sure. Nimh also are heavier, which is fine, but right now it's pretty darn hard to make an overweight TA car. It would be way harder to get to 1450g for most people w/6 cell Nimh. Not to mention, the cars break less and are easier on tires being lighter.

So, you can see the object was to get lipos in, not 21.5 motors. 4 cell nimh packs are still a viable option, for sure (that's what I run)
Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Simply put, it was never tested because it was never an option for this class. We never wanted to make this about who has the best packs with the best IR and voltage, or the battery of the month club.

One of the nice things about these cars is that at their lighter weights, they not only are a little more nimble with the 2 fewer batteries, but they also break FAR less parts—and that for everyone is a good thing. This is something that is often lost in the excitement for this class in the competitiveness and authenticity of appearance.

In cars like this with higher CGs, we also did not want one car with a MUCH greater mass to be able to be a complete bully around the track. It's difficult enough as it is to keep them all from turtling in a race session.

The new rule was done for ONE REASON—and that was to introduce an increasingly popular, low maintenance, low investment battery option to the class while keeping it on pace with the existing 4-cell + motor formulas. Because of the fixed voltage of the lighter LiPos, a slower SPEC brushless motor option was implemented. And in the same breath, I can always be assured that no one will ever have more than 8.4 volts no matter what they do (legally). In one fell swoop, we have literally a turnkey power combination that ANYONE off the street can acquire with a minimal one-time investment, and concentrate only on the car and their driving. It's the ultimate throw-back solution to the ultimate throw-back class structure.

There is no perfect solution to make everyone happy, but as someone who has been spearheading this class since the beginning of the year as a true sanctioning body, it's my responsibility to do what is best for the class. In my experience and opinion—right or wrong—6-cell packs are not the right thing for this class.

And for limiting this class to 5000mAh packs... why would you need/want more? Our tests have shown Trans Am cars using off-the-shelf Orion 3600 Carbon packs and the 21.5 Novak motor running in the 18-minute range—with lap times the same in the 18th minute as they were in the first. What more could you possibly need?

Hope this clears some things up. I didn't want this to come off as antagonistic, I just want to make it clear that the rules for this class have been very clearly thought out and for many reasons.

doug
Old 06-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know this may upset some people as everyone has been asking for different motor and battery variations for this class but what the hell.

To make this a truly spec class it would be nice to actually take a step back from everyones argument and only allow 21.5 brushless and lipo batteries with an upper capacity limit like you've done already. This would truly eliminated the variation that can occur with different NiMH batteries and brushed motors. Which I've seen at our club races where someone that knows how to tune a CO27 and can buy new batteries every 3-6 months are much faster. On top of that the cost over time would be less seeing that a brushless motor will last almost forever, Lipos a good 2-3 years depending on usage, and you only need 1. Lastly, now that ROAR has put specifications together for brushless there more equally matched between manufactures compared to brushed motors as there are no adjustments.

Just my two cents.

I find this class to be one of the more fun classes to run because it really comes down to car setup and driving skill, which for all those that keep complaining about battery and motor stuff, is what this class was created for!!!!!!!!!

Over and out.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It's a natural law that there's always going to be some people making a stink over the rules. It's also law that some people will get super pissed at those people and blow it up.

The rules made were obviously made with the greater good in mind for the class. Let's race....
Old 06-14-2008, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
It's a natural law that there's always going to be some people making a stink over the rules. It's also law that some people will get super pissed at those people and blow it up.

The rules made were obviously made with the greater good in mind for the class. Let's race....
+10000000000
Old 06-14-2008, 04:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
I know this may upset some people as everyone has been asking for different motor and battery variations for this class but what the hell.

To make this a truly spec class it would be nice to actually take a step back from everyones argument and only allow 21.5 brushless and lipo batteries with an upper capacity limit like you've done already. This would truly eliminated the variation that can occur with different NiMH batteries and brushed motors. Which I've seen at our club races where someone that knows how to tune a CO27 and can buy new batteries every 3-6 months are much faster. On top of that the cost over time would be less seeing that a brushless motor will last almost forever, Lipos a good 2-3 years depending on usage, and you only need 1. Lastly, now that ROAR has put specifications together for brushless there more equally matched between manufactures compared to brushed motors as there are no adjustments.

Just my two cents.

I find this class to be one of the more fun classes to run because it really comes down to car setup and driving skill, which for all those that keep complaining about battery and motor stuff, is what this class was created for!!!!!!!!!

Over and out.
So you'd want to rule out anyone that doesn't have the LIpo/BL setup? or the $$ to do that?

DOug - I love what you'd doing with the rules...You got enough options to make everyone (well just about everyone) happy and bring out drivers who have "retired" or got "old" stuff sitting around

Can't wait to see 2nd Annual USVTA Nationals
Old 06-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

+1 from me, I agree, hang in there, Doug, you have a great series.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

definatly. Ive been against buying an on road for mainly the lack of a close track. But after seeing this class I went and bought 1 and am setting it up to drive about 1 hour each way just to race it lol. Love the concept of the class. And I like the rules because its mainly driver and set up....now how much money you have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.