Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
I think what he's saying (from all that mess) is that they took rotors from a 17.5, put them in a 25.5 can, cranked in full mechanical timing on the can, and ran them on "Blinky" mode, all with the same 4.0 FDR......and their MOTORS were running the cars faster....fast enough to walk away from everyone else with virgin 25.5s.

What he's asking, I think, is "Is there some difference in magnetic strength of 17.5 vs. 25.5 rotors that could account for the difference in performance?"
Our only Ballistic rotors are 12.3mm (standard in Ballistic 540 motors), but we did sell a graded +1300, 12.3mm rotor for Oval racing for a while; however, the graded rotor would not account for this much difference.

With no motor or esc tech (for timing), it's hard to tell what happened. Our GTB/GTB2s have no timing; thus no need for a blinky mode.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
I think what he's saying (from all that mess) is that they took rotors from a 17.5, put them in a 25.5 can, cranked in full mechanical timing on the can, and ran them on "Blinky" mode, all with the same 4.0 FDR......and their MOTORS were running the cars faster....fast enough to walk away from everyone else with virgin 25.5s.

What he's asking, I think, is "Is there some difference in magnetic strength of 17.5 vs. 25.5 rotors that could account for the difference in performance?"
thats almost right...they just switch the stators..but used the same rotor that came out the 17.5....you get what in sayn
Old 02-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Von- is it possible that there was a mis-calculation in FDR? I found out yesterday that I thought I was running a 3.9 and turned out I was at 5.0

The 25.5 stator should have a black plastic piece, (but so does a 10.5), as well as have a hand written 25.5 in a sharpie on the stator stack were the orange ring/heatsink would go. Maybe, soomething was mispackaged, but I really doubt it.

What chassis were the other guys running? Your internal is 2.5 on the TC4. As far as the "blinky", let's just say look at the last results from the Hurricane and Grand Slam Series, I believe top 3 in the later, were running USVTA ESC's.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Our only Ballistic rotors are 12.3mm (standard in Ballistic 540 motors), but we did sell a graded +1300, 12.3mm rotor for Oval racing for a while; however, the graded rotor would not account for this much difference.

With no motor or esc tech (for timing), it's hard to tell what happened. Our GTB/GTB2s have no timing; thus no need for a blinky mode.
He stated that one was a Mamba, one was a Tekin 212, and another was the GTB.

Originally Posted by starrx
thats almost right...they just switch the stators..but used the same rotor that came out the 17.5....you get what in sayn

Gotcha.....17.5 rotors and handwound 25.5 stators.

I'm thinking that what happened was there MAY have been some boost in those other set ups.....UNLESS you're POSITIVE the Tekin was flashing properly (not sure how the MMP indicates spec mode), BUT that still doesn't explain why the GTB would have been able to hang!

NOT accusing anyone of intentionally cheating, but I'm thinking that something wasn't on the level there, maybe the FDR math, as mentioned!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Von- is it possible that there was a mis-calculation in FDR? I found out yesterday that I thought I was running a 3.9 and turned out I was at 5.0

What chassis were the other guys running? Your internal is 2.5 on the TC4. As far as the "blinky", let's just say look at the last results from the Hurricane and Grand Slam Series, I believe top 3 in the later, were running USVTA ESC's.
2 of them was runnig the top photon car & the other 1 was running....... xray-fk05
they could of been wrong on the fdr...but if you seen the speed on the cars...i was really surprize that no 1 said anything...but they not dat good as drivers....but if i had that speed...they would have tore my car apart...cus i would of had the field 2laps down
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm betting its the FDR.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

..im just tryn figaur out how they was that much faster...1 was useing gtb2....1 was useing mmp in blinky...the other was useing tekin 212 in blinky.....
Can you ask to swap motors with one of these guys? That would go a long way toward figuring out what the deal is.

BTW I have used a 25,5 stator with the rest of an 8.5 mod motor setup when I first tested the 25.5. It was the same speed as the 25.5 production stuff. Something seems fishy here.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robk
Can you ask to swap motors with one of these guys? That would go a long way toward figuring out what the deal is.

BTW I have used a 25,5 stator with the rest of an 8.5 mod motor setup when I first tested the 25.5. It was the same speed as the 25.5 production stuff. Something seems fishy here.
thats a good ideal...run 1 of their motors..sounds like a plan to me thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Im confused myself here. I usually race at RCAR, and i dont remember any of the VTA's there sunday being significantly faster than any of the other guys there. There were a few of the Indy regulars that gapped the field pretty well, but they are also the guys running up front at any big VTA race around here in the midwest.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

It's possible that the on-track anomaly is starrx and not the other cars.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so what about the guy that ran the gtb2??
Originally Posted by nashrcracer
your full of it batboy. the real outcome was the 21.5 is still faster and more so when you crank it past the sticker. remember one of them had VTA esc in it. quit crying in your car.
you right...that makes very much more sense...

and thanks again for the esc list...it eleiminates any debate about esc's..blinky or otherwise....and lets focus on the timming,fdr, or other issues....simple...and easy...

yes Nash Justin did run a GTB....but with 21.5..you are right...with the timming cranked 1/4 inch past the sticker..lol...but Jason had Tekin blinky with his timming only on second notch...and his car was just as fast...so whats that say?....If Justin was within the sticker...Jason would have been the lone wolf with the speed advantage?....not sure cause when you add TQ in the mix with his GTB and 21.5 SS...and he was just as fast as me with my 25.5 Havok....all that to be said is simple.....

run the USVTA rules and eliminate the headache.....if somebody uses another stator(black) in VTA, you suck...period...thats my thought....

well how was the racing this weekend..other than Starrx...cant wait to run on the big rug in Feb
Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Here is Northern Ontario we had a great day of racing. Just switched to Paragon FX and traction was much more even throughout the field. and closer racing. Lap times were in the 11.0 - 12.0 best laps from last week of 11.6 - 14

So the added grip really helped things. And It is a very small track with lots of 180 degree corners.

Just to give you refrence the 1/12 class running 10.5 1S are pulling 9-10 second laps
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
Im confused myself here. I usually race at RCAR, and i dont remember any of the VTA's there sunday being significantly faster than any of the other guys there. There were a few of the Indy regulars that gapped the field pretty well, but they are also the guys running up front at any big VTA race around here in the midwest.
you must wasent watching...i said they wasent good drivers...so it really did matter how fast they was going bcus they wasent running up front...but if they could of held their lines & not all over the track... you would of known...believe me...
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=squarehead;8583305]It's possible that the on-track anomaly is starrx and not the other cars. [/QUOTE

i was in the top 3 or 4 all day...on the same lap as the leader & running the same lap times...my car was good
Old 02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.