U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

REALLY!!!!!...WHERES THE DATE AND PLACE....????...Im coming...and bringing my Kung-fu TA Warriors with me...
Old 12-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Champion

Old 12-17-2009, 01:57 AM
Tech Master

Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Prepare yourselves for the dawn of a NEW ERA!!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by robk
Prepare yourselves for the dawn of a NEW ERA!!!!
New Era baseball hats?

Era laundry detergent?

New Era strip club?

The suspense is killing us!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This is gonna be good!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
dates dates dates...and can we add RCGT....

oh it looks darker than the other one...lol
Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

how was everyones VTA racing this weekend...

we had about 13 VTA cars that ranged from HPI Sprints to X-ray 009's...we had a couple of ATL, AL, and FL guys to attend this race and plenty of newbies....

I ran my TC5r with a "special" stator, to test it in real race condition....

1st rd I ran a 20 lap 5 flat, fast lap 14.0126...with the top 4 running 21 lappers...fast lap 13.4...

it was set at 4.2 fdr,profile1,with the motor timed to the last notch, temp at 135....

2nd rd ran 20 lap 5.02..with TQ getting to 22 laps with a fast lap of 13.2

set at 4.2 fdr,profile7, on the last notch, temp at 150....

practice rd...ran full tilt boogie,...4.2 fdr,profile8,full timming motor,temp 185, fast lap 14.4....

practice rd...ran 4.2 fdr, profile 7, no timing motor(0)...temp 95, with fast lap 13.8...

last practice rd...ran 4.2, profile 8, no timming motor(0)...temp 200+ with fast lap 14.2...

ran my 21.5 stator, 4.2 fdr, profile 6, timming middle notch(+)...temp 105 with fast lap of 13.2, top 5 of 13.360, top 10 of 13.399, top 20 of 13.469 and the victory with starting from the bottom of the "A" main....

we only had 1-2 guys not running adv esc's out of 13 cars...excluding Jr's....

IMO...the "special" stator can slow the cars down to a point...sitting in the "B" is a test to that...most of the guys ran hard and are good drivers..but it will need more testing...

if this is something that goes into effect, most of our locals are not happy with the way it performed...it was very noticable slower on the straight(95ft), I even had to get outta the way for the GTB car..lol...on the flip side it had alot of punch on the in-field...and was very smooth all over...very easy to drive...it felt like that "diving experience" that VTA was based on...

I can see the "special stator" being a hand-out deal, but I dont see racers/ppl going out to get a Novak Ballistic 21.5 or others, to get this stator...especially when several(hundreds) have Novak SS 21.5's...or even the Ballistic...

car info...

ran same setup all day..box stock TC5R setup
2 run tires...ran two batteries this past Wednesday nite with them
ran same battery all day...SMC 5000 28c
HPI Camaro body with truck lid spoiler
LRP SPX
Futaba 9551
Novak Ballistic 21.5
Spectrum Micro Pro RX
1470 weight

I will test some more with the gearing this Wed nite before our X-mas 750 Lap Enduro next Sunday Dec 27th...

Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Old 12-21-2009, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I ran my TC5r with a "special" stator, to test it in real race condition...
Was this one of the 25.5 stators?

if this is something that goes into effect, most of our locals are not happy with the way it performed...it was very noticable slower on the straight(95ft), I even had to get outta the way for the GTB car...
This is a complete NON-issue for several reasons. Not the least of these is that if EVERYBODY is running one it's a "fair" race--of course it looked slow if you were the only guy out there with a "small block" when everybody else had "big blocks". Or in the case of VTA (21.5) everybody had crate small blocks with 2-barrels and you pulled a plug wire loose.

I can see the "special stator" being a hand-out deal, but I dont see racers/ppl going out to get a Novak Ballistic 21.5 or others, to get this stator...especially when several(hundreds) have Novak SS 21.5's...or even the Ballistic...
RACERS that want to race the class will purchase whatever motor is required to run the class. IF this becomes the spec motor you can bet Novak will offer the motor as a complete motor rather than requiring one to purchase another wind and THEN purchase a stator. At the very least it would (is?) probably available directly through Novak as a complete assembly via their "Build a Ballistic" program.

And always keep in mind the BOTTOM bottom line--regardless if VTA decide to change spec or not, your program can do what's right for your group whether that's changing or not. But don't let a bunch of "can'ts" and "won'ts" or "don't like its" to dictate your thinking.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

how was everyones VTA racing this weekend...
I won my first (actually first two) a-mains this weekend. Friday night there were only three of us but a win's a win. Sunday there were nine or ten that showed up and I ended up winning three heats and the a-main. Woohoo!!!

I just started driving rc cars (after a 20 year break) two months ago so this is an accomplishment as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:48 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

VTA racing this time was a combination of highs and lows.

I did a few more tweaks on my car, namely adding light swaybars front and rear to try out. Car was much better around the track and I was able to TQ the field.

Unforunately I was unable to run the main as the Tekin 21.5 (legal for our area) decided to make a nice whirring sound, sort of like something was flapping around in there and lose power so it ended my day.

I also brought a buddy out and let him run the vehicle I picked up for my daughter, and he had a good time running. He also experienced issues with a Epic Duo 2 21.5 I picked up, it would not work unless you gave it a push, Track director had a spare motor and lent it to him and he had a blast.

So in short, when racing happened, had a great day, no breakage and my buddy sure liked to hit the boards, hard. Glad the car I got will be durable for my daughter.

If anyone here knows what could be causing the issues I experienced with the motors described (can be something general you have seen with others motors is fine) please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I also brought a buddy out and let him run the vehicle I picked up for my daughter, and he had a good time running. He also experienced issues with a Epic Duo 2 21.5 I picked up, it would not work unless you gave it a push, Track director had a spare motor and lent it to him and he had a blast.
I had a similar issue with my SpeedPassion-based 17.5...after the race was over, I looked at the motor and noticed that one of the 3 wires came unsoldered plus i also has a lot of tire/track dust on the sensor...once I blew out the motor and resoldered, I was back at full power and didn't need the bump start -- too bad, the problem surfaced during the mains
Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I'll give that a look.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain

If anyone here knows what could be causing the issues I experienced with the motors described (can be something general you have seen with others motors is fine) please let me know.

Thanks!
Not too sure on the Tekin but with your buddies ride the sensor wire sounds suspect to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.