Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 02-08-2009, 08:21 PM
  #4276  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks. I didnt expect them to be Parma shells. Although years ago anything that looked Vintage was either Bolink or Parma.
snoopyrc is offline  
Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 PM
  #4277  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
BadSign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 1,267
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

here's some shots of the Pegasus, if you're still curious.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-69-mustang-vta-005.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-69-mustang-vta-006.jpg  
BadSign is offline  
Old 02-09-2009, 05:31 PM
  #4278  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 9,625
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Thanks. I didnt expect them to be Parma shells. Although years ago anything that looked Vintage was either Bolink or Parma.
the HPI Mustang was done by a Bobby M.....he won best VTA body at the MCC we had in Oct....he put a dash and stearing wheel and roll cage as well
he put some love into it....
DARKSIDE is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 PM
  #4279  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Where can I see more of that? Would that be in the VTA pics thread? Maybe on the coolsprings website or rc50?
snoopyrc is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 PM
  #4280  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 9,625
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

COOLSPRINGS....I think?....I will search em out

its to big t upload....but this entertaining...lol
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-th_img_6441.jpg  

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 02-10-2009 at 08:37 PM.
DARKSIDE is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 06:28 AM
  #4281  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Dirla! LOL We should make him start some kind of trophy recycling program.
snoopyrc is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 AM
  #4282  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (32)
 
YmeBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,927
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

So does this mean the corvette is legal for VTA? I saw that HPI released a corvette for the gas cars. I'd like to run one i have a soft spot for vettes.
YmeBP is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 AM
  #4283  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by YmeBP
So does this mean the corvette is legal for VTA? I saw that HPI released a corvette for the gas cars. I'd like to run one i have a soft spot for vettes.
No, not on the list. They were run in SCCA events, but I don't think Trans AM.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 07:22 AM
  #4284  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I dont remember ever seeing that Vette in actual VTA racing. I guess it could have though. It just doesnt show up in the pictures.
snoopyrc is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 AM
  #4285  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (26)
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
No, not on the list. They were run in SCCA events, but I don't think Trans AM.
...just like the 65-66 fastback Mustangs...
reenmachine is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 06:53 PM
  #4286  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (31)
 
Racer X79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 416
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

I think after 1973 or so the Trans Am series opened up to allow different models other than the orginal "pony cars", so any Corvette would not have run in Trans Am before 1973. Also, from what I've seen and read in historical photo's and video's, "Trans Am" was it's own series. They did not race with other class cars out on the track at the same time - example...you wouldn't have seen a 1969 Camaro, 1969 Corvette, and a 1969 Datsun racing at the same time during the same event. Now after 1973 ish they might have changed the format and run gt1/gt2/gt3 type classes, but I'm not really sure. Personally, I'd like the USVTA rules to stay with the "pure" Trans Am 1964-1972 era. The other cars (Mini's, Corvette's, etc..) are cool, but they all have their own classes.
Racer X79 is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 PM
  #4287  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
TwoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,002
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Racer X79
I think after 1973 or so the Trans Am series opened up to allow different models other than the orginal "pony cars", so any Corvette would not have run in Trans Am before 1973. Also, from what I've seen and read in historical photo's and video's, "Trans Am" was it's own series. They did not race with other class cars out on the track at the same time - example...you wouldn't have seen a 1969 Camaro, 1969 Corvette, and a 1969 Datsun racing at the same time during the same event. Now after 1973 ish they might have changed the format and run gt1/gt2/gt3 type classes, but I'm not really sure. Personally, I'd like the USVTA rules to stay with the "pure" Trans Am 1964-1972 era. The other cars (Mini's, Corvette's, etc..) are cool, but they all have their own classes.
No one has ever said make those other part of this class. It would just be cool to see them run at the same time, scored separately.
TwoTone is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 PM
  #4288  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (31)
 
Racer X79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 416
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TwoTone
No one has ever said make those other part of this class. It would just be cool to see them run at the same time, scored separately.
I understand that no one ment for them to race against each other, I was just mentioning that the actual cars didn't race with other classes on the race track.
Racer X79 is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 PM
  #4289  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (261)
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,380
Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Racer X79
I think after 1973 or so the Trans Am series opened up to allow different models other than the orginal "pony cars", so any Corvette would not have run in Trans Am before 1973. Also, from what I've seen and read in historical photo's and video's, "Trans Am" was it's own series. They did not race with other class cars out on the track at the same time - example...you wouldn't have seen a 1969 Camaro, 1969 Corvette, and a 1969 Datsun racing at the same time during the same event. Now after 1973 ish they might have changed the format and run gt1/gt2/gt3 type classes, but I'm not really sure. Personally, I'd like the USVTA rules to stay with the "pure" Trans Am 1964-1972 era. The other cars (Mini's, Corvette's, etc..) are cool, but they all have their own classes.
ACTUALLY, the first few years of the TransAm the "small" cars (U-2) raced right alongside the "big" (O-2) cars. In fact an Alfa Giulia GTA driven by Jochen Rindt won the very first TransAm race. Those first couple years the TA races were very much an endurance format race running 3+ hours at most venues. True enough, by the time the Datsun 510's were competing the classes were run separately, but early on you saw the Mini's, VW Bugs, Renault Dauphine's, Renault R8's, etc, all out there on the track at once.
Scottrik is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 PM
  #4290  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (26)
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Racer X79
Personally, I'd like the USVTA rules to stay with the "pure" Trans Am 1964-1972 era. The other cars (Mini's, Corvette's, etc..) are cool, but they all have their own classes.
A '67 'vette is just as "pure" (or impure, rather) as a '65-'66 Mustang fastback since neither was legal for Trans-Am in the '60s...
reenmachine is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.