Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sterling moss
Thanks for the clairification. I'll research more. We have a couple local racers that want us to run 21.5, currently we only run the 4 cell combos. Running seperate- no problem.
Thanks, Mike
I ran a 17.5 4 cell for about a month before I wasn't having fun any more. I understand completely. If your race director wants to separate them out, that's great. Then, let the guys that want to buy into that spec when their motors and batteries die out. I can understand wanting to get the final penny out of that hobby dollar when that dollar doesn't get very far. As long as they can still smile when the race is over, there is nothing wrong with it. After I switched to 21.5, my smile is back. I don't have to win, but I like to think I can at least race with the other big kids.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all,

Yesterday I got out with a buddy and we got a great practice session in at Mikes in Dallas.

I've been running a Losi chassis for about 2.5 years in TC carpet rubber and foam tire. Some interesting tips for dialing in a good USVTA setup:

* I started with Mike Haynes setup posted earlier in this thread (it has harder springs in rear, softer in front so the car can turn well).

* Due to light traction, HPI spec tires, and stiffness of springs, the car was swapping ends going into corners (carpet, light traction).

* I went with real soft springs 10lb front / 15lb rear, and this helped a lot, but was still kicking the tail out quite a bit early in the run and later in a run it was pushing quite a bit.

* I noticed even though i was running really soft springs the car wasn't rolling much (low grip from spec tire). I increased the ride height to about 6.25mm.. I'm really happy with this!!! Feels very neutral through corners and "carves" the corners very nicely.

For those true USVTA Die-hards, this setup also looks very scale, due to the added roll in the corners.

Cheers,

Markf3x
Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default Mike's

Mark, what tire did you run at Mikes? Were there any other VTA cars there? I may have to make a trip down to try it out. Big Jim
Old 12-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm very interested to run this class.

I have a 17.5/lipo setup in my JRX-S right now and was initially excited thinking that my car would qualify. After reading this more carefully it looks like I would have to either replace my battery or my motor to qualify.

Maybe I will check with my local race director to see how they will interpret the rules. Otherwise I'll just run some X-Patterns and race RCGT instead as replacing either the motor or battery isn't worth it.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

As I've said in previous posts, the 21.5 lipo is the most competitive and after 2 months it is the cheapest. I suggest a time frame, perhaps the beginning of the next fall season that the only legal motor/ battery is 21.5 lipo. Racers will have 9 months to do odd jobs, mow some lawns, to get the $250 together to join the crowd and stop their complaining about not being fast enough. I put it to the floor for a vote. BC
Old 12-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rockin_bob
As I've said in previous posts, the 21.5 lipo is the most competitive and after 2 months it is the cheapest. I suggest a time frame, perhaps the beginning of the next fall season that the only legal motor/ battery is 21.5 lipo. Racers will have 9 months to do odd jobs, mow some lawns, to get the $250 together to join the crowd and stop their complaining about not being fast enough. I put it to the floor for a vote. BC
I know this isn't a democracy, but I couldn't agree more with Bob. new racers coming into VTA are not bringing old technology. We average 18-20 racers a week her in Indy, with over 40 total competing at one point or another. That's after starting with just 5 in the summer. Nearly everyone is using 21.5/Lipo, even those of us who started with 4 cell stock. Mandating new tech will help new racers, rather than saddle them with old equipment which needs constant attention and maintenance. Brushless systems are getting cheaper, and more used equipment will be available as time passes
Old 12-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danketchpel
I'm very interested to run this class.

I have a 17.5/lipo setup in my JRX-S right now and was initially excited thinking that my car would qualify. After reading this more carefully it looks like I would have to either replace my battery or my motor to qualify.

Maybe I will check with my local race director to see how they will interpret the rules. Otherwise I'll just run some X-Patterns and race RCGT instead as replacing either the motor or battery isn't worth it.
Hi Jim,

We're just getting the class together.. There were 2 of us showing off our VTA cars and letting people see what they look like, speed, handling, and FUN!!!. We have 6-8 people getting there cars together and others that are interested.. I expect a small class next week of 4-5 cars and probably about 8 cars in a few weeks when folks can ger bodies painted, etc.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 12-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

@ our track in jonesborro we have 4 of us friends that are starting to run vta my 2 best friends and my son so the rules are relaxed since we are all friends and no outsiders are running YET. be we have 2 21.5 cars and my self and my other friend (newbe to racin) are running 17.5 lipo with a high fdr rule
(5.4+) and it works well on a small track (out side premiter is 35x50)
Old 12-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
@ our track in jonesborro we have 4 of us friends that are starting to run vta my 2 best friends and my son so the rules are relaxed since we are all friends and no outsiders are running YET. be we have 2 21.5 cars and my self and my other friend (newbe to racin) are running 17.5 lipo with a high fdr rule
(5.4+) and it works well on a small track (out side premiter is 35x50)
Yep -- I think that's what you have to do if you want to make the other motors viable. As soon as 1 or 2 guys start running 21.5 LiPo with a 4.2 FDR rule, it's all over for the other motors from what I have seen.

I do think it would be kind of neat, however, to have a separate "sportsman" VTA class at the club level for ONLY 27T 4-cell.

Last edited by TeamGoodwrench; 12-28-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added more
Old 12-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Just to let you guys know, the 27t and 17.5 4 cell options were put in the ROAR rules to allow club racers to have that option in the rules. ROAR was looking at 21.5/lipo only for all levels of racing, but the other setups were put in there in case a ROAR club wanted to include that in their class. It WILL be 21.5 lipo for regional races and above.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Boy, did I just find an awesome pic of the corkscrew at Laguna...if this doesn't give you a woody then nothing will!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

And you got all 4 makes in one shot! beautiful!

Also, for you guys on the 50*35 track:
You will be nowhere near a 4.2 FDR with the 21.5. I wouldn't be surprised if your at 4.8, at the lowest! We've had guys here in Indy win with 4 cell 27T and our track is 35' * 65'. A quick turning car and clean driving will be the key for a track your size, not power.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadSign
And you got all 4 makes in one shot! beautiful!

Also, for you guys on the 50*35 track:
You will be nowhere near a 4.2 FDR with the 21.5. I wouldn't be surprised if your at 4.8, at the lowest! We've had guys here in Indy win with 4 cell 27T and our track is 35' * 65'. A quick turning car and clean driving will be the key for a track your size, not power.
well actualy my sons car (T1 fk04) has turned the single fastest lap (6.41sec)he has a internal 1.77 and was running a 114/48i think which gives it a 4.2003FDR i let another good racer drive it and it was the fastest and best driving car of the day (by .15 sec , my 007
our 2 21.5 cars were geared different 4.2003 for the '04' and 4.67 in a fk05
and it was very noticeabe the 4.2 pulled harder and still had the same top speed both motors were bought @ the same time and this was their 1st run
Old 12-29-2008, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The 21.5s are total torque monsters. They like that low FDR. In my experimenting I found no real difference from 4.2 to 4.6. I finally settled on 4.4 as that's where my car gives me the best response.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I ran my VTA for the first time this past Saturday....Holy $&*^, what a blast to drive.

I had a 21.5 with the Tekin RS Pro and the new Thunder Power battery and it was a little too much. I'll probably slow it down a little this week to keep with the intent of the class. Our track is newly converted from a dirt oval to carpet and everyone is just getting use to the new surface.

A quick question regarding rules. My TC3 has the optional 200mm rear arms, are they legal? I'm swapping them out for the standard ones, but still need to know if these are an option down the road.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.