Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Jack, I have re-read the thread and you have not tried to manipulate or mis-lead. However, you have to understand the hesitation by many of lipos without a hardcase AND one that is that high priced. If I am going to pick a high priced lipo, Orion will be it. Not so much because they are backed by Kokam(some serious players in the game) but the hard casing is more readily accepted. Seeing that I race locally, 152.99 is a bit out there when Maxamps, who have been at it for a few, has the 6000mah for $100. Your performance, run time and durability must be off the chain.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by or8ital
Im sorry you disagree with me (and I think others) on this thread about how responsible a statement like "just try it and find out" sits when people wanna know about safety. All anyone asked for is more information so they can make an informative decision about your cells. Your inability to answer those questions is the only thing that can be seen as misleading. I have no ill-will towards SMC. Im sorry you see it as such. I thought this was a forum to ask questions and learn but apparently it is a forum for sheep that should take whatever someone tells them they should.
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

7.4 volts? why?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
7.4 volts? why?
Thats what all lipos (for rc car use) are.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
7.4 volts? why?

Did you want a 3.7v pack, or are you a 6v guy who wants to force lipo mfg'ers to come out with 3v cells just for a niche of a niche of a hobby, or do you want lipos to have a nominal voltage of 7.2v unlike all the NIMH race packs being sold these days?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Thats what all lipos are.
And newer NIMH packs are more than that.

I ran my Orion 3200 Lipo back to back with my SMC IB4200 in 19t Truck this weekend. Running the IB cells is like dropping a wind or 2 on the motor.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Zing! You guys are ornery.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Until the hardcase paranoia goes away, we are going to have to hear about how they need hardcases BS. At least li-pos have been accepted and is taking over the RC ground world now!

I have used soft packs for over 4 years now in everything from 1/10th scale stadium trucks to 1/8th scale buggies and have yet to see one on fire or explode. I have had them thrown out at high speed, drug them around the track and have broken chassis in half with no problems.

Just look at the World's Fastest RC Car Record last year was set with 8 soft cells stacked up on top of each other in 2 different cars crashing both into the barrier walls with the first crash was in a car at over 130 mph that Nic Case reused the same batteries in a 2nd car crashing on a run at over 160 mph with no cells catching fire or exploding. I'll bet Nic reused them after that!

Soft cells were used in ROARs Off-Road Li-po Brushless Truck Class at the Nats this year with no problems.

To sum it up a hardcase should be user optional and not required by rules.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

not trying to start a debate between hard case/non, but don't almost all the 1/18th guys use soft shell lipos? I have used them without any incident.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Any chance of SMC coming out with an 8000 mah 2S pack?

That will be closer to a 6 cell nickel pack weight and can not only have longer runtimes, but can be recharged faster (8 amps) after a 5 minute race.

We are using 8000 mah packs in 20 minute races around here.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I echo what Craps said about the 8000mah possibility. An 8000 usually weighs around 360-400 grams which is right where 6 NIMH cells are.

14,8 volt versions would be accepted aswell...
Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Craps
Any chance of SMC coming out with an 8000 mah 2S pack?

That will be closer to a 6 cell nickel pack weight and can not only have longer runtimes, but can be recharged faster (8 amps) after a 5 minute race.

We are using 8000 mah packs in 20 minute races around here.

That would be a fine idea, but for touring cars, space becomes an issue.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Initiate

I test some yuntong 5000 hard case charged to 8.5V and discharged to 3.9V full load 20C

i dont know how he make it but the cell resist very good to this treatment

i charge it at 2C to 8.5V and the pack give 0.2V more moy on 60A disch

it is not a spam

i drive xxx-4 for one year and jrx-pro since 15 year
dgaumond on
www.rcfanatic.com
Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craps
Until the hardcase paranoia goes away, we are going to have to hear about how they need hardcases BS. At least li-pos have been accepted and is taking over the RC ground world now!

I have used soft packs for over 4 years now in everything from 1/10th scale stadium trucks to 1/8th scale buggies and have yet to see one on fire or explode. I have had them thrown out at high speed, drug them around the track and have broken chassis in half with no problems.

Just look at the World's Fastest RC Car Record last year was set with 8 soft cells stacked up on top of each other in 2 different cars crashing both into the barrier walls with the first crash was in a car at over 130 mph that Nic Case reused the same batteries in a 2nd car crashing on a run at over 160 mph with no cells catching fire or exploding. I'll bet Nic reused them after that!

Soft cells were used in ROARs Off-Road Li-po Brushless Truck Class at the Nats this year with no problems.

To sum it up a hardcase should be user optional and not required by rules.

I personally don't have any concerns over hard case or soft. But, my local track does not allow us use drive with soft shelled lipos. You referenced ROAR in your post and I thin k when/if ROAR comes out will rules for lipos hopefully they will mention how the battery is packaged. I think this will help battery companies decide what they are going to do. Not that I care for ROAR rules but most tracks abide by most ROAR rulings.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Eventually they will come around and see the light of day. Planes, cordless phones, helicopters and all use soft cased lipo's. This is basically a bunch of bs that has made team orion a lot of money. Come on, have some balls and wuit being sheep led by r/c car action, and uneducated forum people. Hard case is more protective I won't argue that, but it is not an absolute by far. Let's have an open mind about these cells. And be thankful that the technology hit the sport. 10min races are now a viable race in touring 13.5 turn. That gives you 2x the driving time on race day. Instead of trying to throw more hurdles in the way of the lipo cells, lets band together to legalize all forms of lipo's and push to build classes that race them. They are the future, and when they have been using them in planes and Heli's for years with soft cases, then we know that it is a tried and true technology.

Seriously guys lets get together on this and end the conflict.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.