Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by billjacobs
SMC- Of course you are defending exposed cells. You released an uncased LIPO cell when you knew that many clubs around the country only allow encased lipo cells to be run. You are hoping that the these clubs will change their LIPO rules so your cells can be used and you can make a few dollars more per pack by omitting the case.

Like most r/c products, you are hoping that performance (voltage and discharge) will sell over safety and longevity. (If the pack is dented or damaged in a crash.)

As for safety, do you have the hard evidence like kokam to back up the safety claims of the cells you are using?
Boy, you sure have us figured out. Thanks for informing the public about our intentions. Our master plan to pad our pockets and destroy the industry are doomed to fail.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Having dealt with the patent weenies recently, I would bet that there is not a patent limiting anyone from installing a hard case around a LiPo.

Give me a break, it's been done in almost every industry out there that has removable cells. They might be able to patent the connectors and integrated balance port but that's it.

It doesn't take much to vac form a lexan case that will strap in the car. Lexan must be fine it's what they use on the 3200 "hard case".

Just vacform one out that will fit more than one manufacturer's cells and you're done.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Jack,

There's no shortage of Chinese junk cells flooding the market. We've got nothing to convince us that SMC's are any different other than your word, and SMC's good name. And while that helps, without any real data, we're basically going on blind faith. That leads to skepticism, which is completely understandable considering the precedent for providing information about cells has already been set by Orion/Kokam.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
Boy, you sure have us figured out. Thanks for informing the public about our intentions. Our master plan to pad our pockets and destroy the industry are doomed to fail.
Sigh.. lets all take a step back here. Jack you are getting highly defensive over the fact that the people on this forum seem to overwhelmingly want to learn more about your product. Clearly safety and durability have become important to many consumers. You can either take the defensive approach you are taking or take a step back and professionaly answer the concerns of your potential consumers. Trust us when we say we want someone else to compete with Orion. Thats the only way prices will head downward.

I think it boils down to us wanting to see safety data on these packs. I think a hardcase would go a long way too as many clubs have implemented the hard case rule.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default sarcasm always wins

So, if I'm SMC and I don't have an answer for questions other than how fast will my car go with the new SMC LIPO cells in it, (answer- REALLY FAST) the best thing to do is to use sarcasm.

Well, I've been beat. Can I place my order for several $120 smc packs now, or should I wait?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by swopemike
Part numbers ending in "D" and "T" so I'm guessing "Deans" and "Tamiya" connectors are both offered.
"Traxxas"
Old 09-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Suspended

Imagine the outcry if it were Trinity that came out with a soft LiPo pack, and tried to tell us that it's perfectly safe.

What's good for the goose......
Old 09-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

The LiPo crowd is notoriously difficult, so I can understand approaching it with some trepidation. Lets try to keep this on track, though, and not get into a pissing match. Too many of these LiPo threads go downhill in this manner.

Jack, I think you'll find from the airplane crowd that with LiPo, people take a much greater interest in cell manufacturer. Maybe this is because there are so many companies producing cells, and the quality varies quite a bit between them? At any rate, people are eager to know what they're getting. You guys don't pull the labels off your NiMH's and keep us in the dark about whether or not they're IB's or EP's. Why should LiPo be any different? If anything is true about LiPo, it's that not all cells are created equal.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ass Toot
Imagine the outcry if it were Trinity that came out with a soft LiPo pack, and tried to tell us that it's perfectly safe.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...lipo&search=Go

I hear they double as a seat warmer.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Jack,
No disrespect towards you product or your company from me. Schumacher pretty much went through the same thing with their Core battery release and theirs are hardcased. Look up the thread and see.

Hardcase or not, is not my main concern when looking over new lipo offerings although it is a major plus in my mind. Cell source and quality these days are my major concerns and in my opinion disclosure is the only way to alleviate those concerns.

Just my viewpoint, take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I wonder if their new lipo will be as big of a hit as their BL motors.

I hear they double as a seat warmer.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by or8ital
Sigh.. lets all take a step back here. Jack you are getting highly defensive over the fact that the people on this forum seem to overwhelmingly want to learn more about your product. Clearly safety and durability have become important to many consumers. You can either take the defensive approach you are taking or take a step back and professionaly answer the concerns of your potential consumers. Trust us when we say we want someone else to compete with Orion. Thats the only way prices will head downward.

I think it boils down to us wanting to see safety data on these packs. I think a hardcase would go a long way too as many clubs have implemented the hard case rule.
No, I'm getting highly defensive about being called "irresponsible" and listening to you imply that we are somehow misleading the consumers. We can debate this all day. The bottom line is that you are free to choose whatever packs you want. If you feel I am irresponsible and evasive, simply continue to buy whatever you are using now.
I invite anyone who has just jumped on this thread to read back through and tell me if you think I have tried to mislead or manipulate the consumer.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

After that whole hullabaloo with Trinity and the slam ads they ran dissing brushless motors, I'm glad they are having PRAH-BLUMS moving those paperweights.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

*sigh*
Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
No, I'm getting highly defensive about being called "irresponsible" and listening to you imply that we are somehow misleading the consumers. We can debate this all day. The bottom line is that you are free to choose whatever packs you want. If you feel I am irresponsible and evasive, simply continue to buy whatever you are using now.
I invite anyone who has just jumped on this thread to read back through and tell me if you think I have tried to mislead or manipulate the consumer.
Im sorry you disagree with me (and I think others) on this thread about how responsible a statement like "just try it and find out" sits when people wanna know about safety. All anyone asked for is more information so they can make an informative decision about your cells. Your inability to answer those questions is the only thing that can be seen as misleading. I have no ill-will towards SMC. Im sorry you see it as such. I thought this was a forum to ask questions and learn but apparently it is a forum for sheep that should take whatever someone tells them they should.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.