Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
Wondering if someone can help me with a problem I've been trying to solve for the last couple weeks.

My 416 wants to on-throttle oversteer only on right turns. It acts normal on left turns. I tried to find out what was going on by tearing down the entire car piece by piece and rebuild it from step one of the instructions. Measured everything precisely, and made sure all bearings worked fine. Balanced the car left to right and redid the suspension on the tweak board. Alignment came out ok, and wheels can turn lock to lock. Used the Groskamp setting... and ... it still does the same thing. My friends cannot figure it out either. On tight right turns, their cars can go out full throttle, but I have to use half throttle

What's going on? Please help.
I know you checked your suspension closely but did you check your suspension blocks to make sure they are not bent? One end being bent could give you more toe out/in on one side. That one is pretty easy to find. The harder tweak with Tamiya blocks that I have seen is when your toe stays the same, but the block gets bent vertically. Then you wind up having different caster settings left to right. Check your hinge pins too, I take mine out and roll them from time to time. If one is slightly bent, it can cause a bind in the suspension. Hmmmm..do you run sway bars? Make sure they are adjusted right and are not bent. Hope this helps and sorry for your frustration
Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

I checked the suspension blocks and hinge pins and they check out fine. Suspension falls freely under its own weight, and the sway bars move equally left and right.
Usually, something is broken when there is such radical difference in turning characteristics between R/L. I'm starting to suspect the rear diff because it completely went away when I loosened it to the point where there was no power going to it. But the diff has been completely rebuilt and it's smooth like butter
Old 07-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I checked the suspension blocks and hinge pins and they check out fine. Suspension falls freely under its own weight, and the sway bars move equally left and right.
Usually, something is broken when there is such radical difference in turning characteristics between R/L. I'm starting to suspect the rear diff because it completely went away when I loosened it to the point where there was no power going to it. But the diff has been completely rebuilt and it's smooth like butter
I made my diff smooth and it made the car push. But I can't see it making the chassis tweaked. I suggest that droop isn't accurately set and makes the car handle "funny". Or perhaps you have never rotated tires and the opposite front of the direction it wont turn is worn out. Perhaps even a bad axle bearing dragging on that wheel and causing ... well you'l figure it out.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

HAve a read, from this site i just spent the last few hours going trough it
And i have learned so much about my beloved 416 and 416WE

http://www.thard.co.uk

Anyway here is a quote hope it helps

Top Deck
Fit of the top deck should be checked during build. Due to very tight tolerances, it may require shaving of material from one edge to avoid bowing of chassis. This applies to both the standard and WE 416's.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

a tweeked suspension bridge is not easy to find !!!!

and are your roll bars even ??

if you remove the shocks , lift one side arm and check the height of the other arm , measure it , check the oposite and see if the lift is the same !!

E.G. left lifts the right arm 10mm ,so the right must lift the right 10mm too

i'm not sure if it is understandable but i am sure some one else will write it better
Old 07-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

On throttle oversteer would probably go away with a FWD car

Is this on rubber? If so the tyres are the first thing I'd look at. Then I'd try add some front droop, as I could never run the 6mm of front droop on Groskamp's setup
Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default belts size

what are the numbers of teeth of trf 416 we belts???
Old 07-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Initiate

is it possible that Tamiya make a new car for the next year?

A evolution of the 416 or a different car that will be better for the lipo.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

maybe a marc rienhard edition but i doubt a "new" car

there is nothing wrong with the 416 and lipos , mine fit well and the balance is good
Old 07-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
maybe a marc rienhard edition but i doubt a "new" car

there is nothing wrong with the 416 and lipos , mine fit well and the balance is good
Agreed! Balance is AMAZING!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

My 416WE is still my best car.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

I doubt they will come out with a new car. Usually, by this time, they would be on their 3rd or 4th update/revision. But the car is soo good, it's over a year old and it's only had one revision. That's odd coming from Tamiya. I wish I never sold my 416. Maybe, if they ever do a revision, I'll pick up another. It's been my favorite all time car. I only sold it on impulse. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
I doubt they will come out with a new car. Usually, by this time, they would be on their 3rd or 4th update/revision. But the car is soo good, it's over a year old and it's only had one revision. That's odd coming from Tamiya. I wish I never sold my 416. Maybe, if they ever do a revision, I'll pick up another. It's been my favorite all time car. I only sold it on impulse. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I hear yah. I look over at mine now and then while working around quirks in this new car and wonder WTF I was thinking.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I hear yah. I look over at mine now and then while working around quirks in this new car and wonder WTF I was thinking.
I'll give ya a 415MRE, TA05 with tons of spares and bits of an Evo IV for your 416!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

SOLD

Last edited by Michael P; 07-15-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.