Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

GM Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Can someone offer advice on the two 10.5 motors available at mo.

Was going to buy the GM97290 but now see there is the GM97305

Comparing them, it seems the only difference is the Rotor, 12.3mm against 12.5mm. What exactly in terms of performance gains/drops is the difference between the two ?

Cheers
Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

12.5 is more powerfull / more punchy, 12.3 can be tortured more as the motor doesn't overheat too quickly but that's not an issue anyway with Gen2 V111

12.3 is the only one legal in the UK
Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tomracing
Gm has offered firmware.v8 for the older gm120's
you can send your esc to gm and have it upgraded to a software like the v11.1 on the geniusII series. It will cost about 20euro+shipping
unfortunately no self updating for that you need the geniusII
V8 für Gen1 speedos features a similar software background V11.1 has, but you don't have the intelligent motor temp feature, so you need to be a lot more careful about gearing / fixed timing setting to not blow the motor up

and there is no user updateability

Originally Posted by mobile chicane1
Lack of brakes with a gm90 using a gm 13.5 motor ( 97294 ) .

Its got the old firmware on it and I've tried the autobrake software option but it just seems to lock the wheels.

it just dosent seem to want to give me any brakes even with the new brake software

I dont know how to link my set up from the programer on here but I can email it if required.

the speedo is nice and punchy I just cant seem to get any brakes on it unless I turn on the auto brake
send me your profile per email ([email protected])
Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Cheers Martin, i'll buy the 97290 then, the one i was going to buy originally.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Does the new gm 97290 motor send its temperature directly to the gm gen 2 speed controller or does the extra wire from the sensor cable need to be plugged into a temp sensor somewhere? If so does the 97290 have on built in as i cannot see it. Thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

all new gm motors / graupner motor feature a ntc sensor, soldered to the sensor pcb

so just use a regular sensor lead
Old 03-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

Ok thanks!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My GM 120 has just arrived

Have spent tonight setting up my old ESC for a one off stock race for charity race.

Now I want to use this.. can some give me some assistance

Running a SP v3 17.5 , T3 have 84 and 81 spur a mountain of Pinons.

Quick gearing help just a Ball Park just to get me started? else shall waste too much time

Anything I need to change on the ESC??

Track is an open one with some good high speed corners and big breaking area onto the stright.

Thanks
Alex
Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=Martin Hofer;7117184]V8 für Gen1 speedos features a similar software background V11.1 has, but you don't have the intelligent motor temp feature, so you need to be a lot more careful about gearing / fixed timing setting to not blow the motor up

Does this mean that the brake software will work as the new GM ?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stefan-Hpi Uk

I tested with and without the switching point and I have to agree with Martin thats its seriously smoother without a switch point!!
+1

Forgot to say earlier, its soooo much nicer without the switching point, very smooth!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Does anyone know where I can get part of the update lead from as it has broken.

The bit that has broken is the lead that plugs into the speed controller and the usb board (has the same pin heads each end)

Do I have to buy a complete set or is there a place that I can get one from?

Cheers in advance
Old 03-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martin Hofer

24 is about right, but 5,5 is totally undergeared (13.5 i guess?) as that's what I use indoors!

try 4.5, then it will be much faster
Hi Martin,

Im finding 24 good on the Fixed timing, but im wondering if the 'Max Timing slider' on the Stock v11.1 profile adds more top end / full throttle timing if i advance it from its current setting of 20?

I being careful and temp checking every run, and don't want to turn this up if i risk damage to the motor!

Thanks for all the help.

T
Old 03-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Martin,

Iread along but I am lost.

I have genius 95 old running evo 5.5.
I wanted to slow it down. I took lrp x12 7.5.

I run mode 2 but found really slow.
Do I have to put a sensor cable I yes wich one?
What about the timing?

Do I need to switch value on PC ?

Or do I really better take another update speedo and keep this one as a spare? and send it to update?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=JamieV;7126699]
V8 für Gen1 speedos features a similar software background V11.1 has, but you don't have the intelligent motor temp feature, so you need to be a lot more careful about gearing / fixed timing setting to not blow the motor up

Does this mean that the brake software will work as the new GM ?

Thanks
the brakes are the same on the old and new speedo! has not changed ... try both "new brake software" activated and deactivated

I use it all the time as the brake software is speed depending and feels nicer while driving but the brakes are the same on Gen1 and 2 speedos ...

Originally Posted by Toblerone
Hi Martin,

Im finding 24 good on the Fixed timing, but im wondering if the 'Max Timing slider' on the Stock v11.1 profile adds more top end / full throttle timing if i advance it from its current setting of 20?

I being careful and temp checking every run, and don't want to turn this up if i risk damage to the motor!

Thanks for all the help.

T
see pdf that comes with the firmware :-P
it's all written there ...

max timing is the power you get when the speedo switches into launch control (don't touch throttle stick for about 8 seconds), it kicks in when you reach full throttle for the first time and is off again when you reach neutral for the first time
this way you can have "28" going down the straight for the first time (when you have not touched full throttle till then or start on the straight) but 24 throughout the run.
but don't set it a lot higher than fixed timing as it heats up the motor big time, even if it's just for once down the straight

Originally Posted by fifi
Hi Martin,

Iread along but I am lost.

I have genius 95 old running evo 5.5.
I wanted to slow it down. I took lrp x12 7.5.

I run mode 2 but found really slow.
Do I have to put a sensor cable I yes wich one?
What about the timing?

Do I need to switch value on PC ?

Or do I really better take another update speedo and keep this one as a spare? and send it to update?
just gear it up
Old 03-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply earlier but just to clarify will your quote below still apply for a Gen1 speed upgraded to FW Ver 8

the "new brake software" is speed depending:

high speed = high brake force, low speed = low brake force

this is why, when you drive to the line and the car is really slow, brakes are soft but that's not much of an issue really

when driving, the brakes feel much nicer with that software activated as you can brake more precise
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.