Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

GM Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

as it has been written before it's not the gearing that make the motor hot but the revs, so going down to 5,8 instead of 8,2 will most likely make your motor run cooler!

for the gm motor change the motor cut-off temperature from 100 to 115°C. Then you should be fine

If you are running that motor with standard mode 9 I think it should be alright apart from the cutoff temperature
Old 09-06-2010, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Many thanks Martin, I'll be there again this weekend so I'll get that gearing and cut-off changed, hopefully will be going faster and staying cooler.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

it will

you got a fan in your car that cools the motor?
Old 09-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by housey
Now I'm just after one more thing, a starting FDR.

I'll be at this track,

http://www.ardentracing.com/raceway/

running a 13.5 and to start with will just be using the standard mode 9 setting to get me going.

Any ideas where to start? need any more info? Cheers guys.
Originally Posted by hacker
Cheers hacker, I'll give that a go today.
Well I got the genius 90 and 13.5 motor and ran it on sunday, wow!

It was geared at 8.2 with standard mode 9 after some advice from a guy who has been running gm a while there and it was super fast!

One little thing though, does the speedo turn down the timing if it sees the moor is getting too hot? I ask because I did lose some punch towards the end of each race, but it was still very fast, so only a slight loss of performance.

I guess once I get the usb link I can set it all up properly, perhaps a slight decrease in timing would mean more consistent power throughout the run?
dont forget to take advice when given!

theres no point asking for advice and not follow it. All here to help
Old 09-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Adept

I do have a fan but don't have it installed at the moment. I need a Y lead because my last power slot on the rx is taken up by the fan for the speedo, I will get a Y lead though so I can also run the fan on the motor.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Martin Hofer
No, the new software does not even use timing 1 and 2 anymore (but that's been written before)
I haven't installed the new release yet, so i didn't know about that !!

By reading your posts i learned that it is possible to copy one mode to another and modifies some values for this mode ... in other word have several setups prepared that can be changed just with the transmitter ! Is it right ?

Thanks for your help i learn a lot of things today !
Old 09-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Tech Adept

dont forget to take advice when given!

theres no point asking for advice and not follow it. All here to help
I'm sorry hacker but at the time when I turned up at the meeting this is what I was advised from a guy that has been running GM at this track for a while. Obviously I now know this guy is wrong but I'm sure you can see why I might have followed what he said. I do appreciate everyone's help, and I am really new to this brushless game.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:05 AM
Tech Master

I do have a fan but don't have it installed at the moment. I need a Y lead because my last power slot on the rx is taken up by the fan for the speedo, I will get a Y lead though so I can also run the fan on the motor.
There's no need for a fan on the speedo when running stock + fans are much more efficient when powerd straight off the lipo

Add a 40mm fan that blows onto the motor, that will enable you to run a lot more power and more consistancy throughout the run

Originally Posted by pierred
I haven't installed the new release yet, so i didn't know about that !!

By reading your posts i learned that it is possible to copy one mode to another and modifies some values for this mode ... in other word have several setups prepared that can be changed just with the transmitter ! Is it right ?

Thanks for your help i learn a lot of things today !
Ever since 11.0 it is that way

yes it is possible to have 9 identical modes with just minor changes and then switch with the transmitter
Old 09-06-2010, 05:09 AM
Tech Adept

Sure thing Martin. Looking forward to this, EVEN MORE POWER!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

I'm sorry hacker but at the time when I turned up at the meeting this is what I was advised from a guy that has been running GM at this track for a while. Obviously I now know this guy is wrong but I'm sure you can see why I might have followed what he said. I do appreciate everyone's help, and I am really new to this brushless game.
no worries, what some people dont realize is undergearing can also contribute to overheating, which is what you may have been experiencing from the sound of it. 8.2fdr may be great for a 10.5, but as martin said gear your 13.5 around 5-high 5's and you will experience even more bottom and top end and lower heats.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

no worries, what some people dont realize is undergearing can also contribute to overheating, which is what you may have been experiencing from the sound of it. 8.2fdr may be great for a 10.5, but as martin said gear your 13.5 around 5-high 5's and you will experience even more bottom and top end and lower heats.
Yea I'm hoping so, not that it was slow in the first place! Just as a reference to the overheating, the motor was coming off around 75C measured with a laser temp gun, which I didn't think was too bad.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

as for 90 vs 120, i think for stock racing the 75 is by far the best speedo as you won't loose any performance up to 10.5T but get a lot! of room as the 75 is I think the smallest speedo out there.
indeed the 75 looks like a great small esc for stock racing.
hopefully it will be out soon.
the graupner website now says mid-october.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Indeed it does...

I ordered one for my 12th scale. Just waiting till mid-october like the site says...
Old 09-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

as it has been written before it's not the gearing that make the motor hot but the revs, so going down to 5,8 instead of 8,2 will most likely make your motor run cooler!
At housey
I was running at 7.5 and Martin gave me this advice. It seemed a bit too much of a step at first to jump from one ratio to another so i just kept doing five minute sessions and adding one tooth at a time. The result at first wasn't anything but then the motor started getting more punch, faster and cooler. The other thing i notice was my batteries were needing 2500mha to charge them rather than before only needing 1800mha, so energy is going somewhere.

I'm now running at 5.8 but i'm still messing with the timing and higher gearing because its only just starting to get warmer now at 60degress c and still seems to be gaining top end punch. I guess the only thing that will limit performance or what i'm looking for is for the motor to just be off heat fade at the end of a race! Would that be right?

At Martin:
Would you always say that the need for a fan indoor carpet is not necessary? I think its reading about 60C in the telemetry function after a race with fan.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

as or speedo timing:
the gm speedo does not only do one timing. It can actually do any timing you would ever want it to do

- it can start with full timing right from the start
- it can start with no timing and add extra timing at some rpm
- it can start with 1 timing, then ramp until a second timing
- it can start with no timing and then do 1 timing and then ramp until 2 timing
- it can add timing at full throttle only
- it can add timing according to your throttle stick position, with and without a switch-rpm
- it can do a zero timing mode so it meets all stock class rules if necessary
How i can add timing at full throttle???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.