Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Li-Awesome Vs. Li-sux

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

OoOooo, and engineer. Wow oh wow, does he sign autographs too?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Whats the verdict on the Trakpower 4900 in the gold case? Safe or Unsafe?

I have been running a trakpower 4900 in 13.5BL and cant fault it... never even gets warm, consistant voltage.

Pete's rules:

1:Charge on DECENT LiPO charger only (CCCV and temp sensor cutoff)
2:Hard Case only
3:Charge in a water-tight steel cashbox
4:Have a bottle of saltwater handy (tip into cashbox to neutralise the battery in case of emergency)
Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

It would be like the total flop of the Chevy Nova in Mexico. Hardly any were sold there while it was one of the most popular in America. The difference, "Nova" means "no go" in spanish.
Nothing to do with LiPo, but this urban legend is just a myth: http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp The Nova sold pretty well in Mexico and other central/south American countries, and there's even a petroleum company that sells gas under the 'Nova' name.

Anyway, back to the thread, I think if shops and racers told people that asked that:

1. there are just 2 or 3 reliable brands of LiPo batteries
2. you need a good quality charger
3. follow directions closely - some people just...cant'
(feel free to correct me on these)

that would eventually solve the problem of people setting fire to their cars (RC or otherwise). I think the current problem is just misinformation and laziness, which is a terrible combination.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't think it's so much misinformation as it is a lack of information - or one resource that you can direct someone to. Reading through all the threads and posts at RCTech is a serious pain in the ass and you have to read a lot of non-essentials material along the way.

For the nitro side of the house, I created NitroKB.com to help people get smart about their cars very quickly. If you could find someone to do something similar for electric cars - or even a general EP TC knowledge base site, you could significantly reduce a lot of the repetitive questions that show up in the forum and get people spun up pretty fast on what they need to know about running EP cars - especially battery facts and safety.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Whats the verdict on the Trakpower 4900 in the gold case? Safe or Unsafe?
I have had my 2 packs for a year now. Great product.

I charge them at 4.9amps on my ICE charger after each run. Run 3 cars off the two packs at my club meetings - no problems.

Checked the voltage of the 2 cells in each pack. Both cells were equal. So the packs are in good shape even after a year.

Trakpower 4900 = Li-Awesome!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I wouldnt hold my breath for the manufactures to give out safety data like kolkam did. Was this data released for a marketing scheme, or simply the facts, or both? You decide. We have never been given any information on NiMh's and would probably be shocked if they did, especially with all the IB problems lately.
My concern with the "hard case" on my orions is that its actually not a hard case. My buds basically fell off to reveal basically a very thin plastic material held on with nothing more than 2x tape. While it does offer some protection from punctures it wont keep it from being abused, or mishandled by people who are unknowldgeable about charging them, there's still that potential danger.
I've also tried the Maxamps packs all of the hard core races call "junk" because of no data on the cells. Just from my experience they assemble your pack to order, and the construction materials used, wires, shrink, connectors look like good quality. They have preformed just as well, if not better than my orion packs. Do I wish they had that "hard case", sure but I've also used lipo's in my EP planes/heli's and still have not lost one in flames yet even after a hard crash.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Sorry double post.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuzo
Who is making them other than Apogee right now? I don't know why but I can't think of anyone who's claimed to run them. It probably isn't price as Tower has a 3800 20C pack for $75.

Anyone know why I shouldn't pick a pack up? The size is reasonable. Any discharge curves compared to platinums? LiMn was supposed to be safer but any issues without a hard case?
Apogee LiMn stuff is top notch. High quality and a LIFETIME replacement program. None of that 300 cycle junk like another company.

I tried Max Amps and to me, there is no doubt, Apogee stuff is better. More punch, better packs...

NO, I am not sponsored by Apogee either.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TeamButter
P-170's baby!!!!!!!! One run and done!!
I thought I was the only one who remembered those bad boys!!! My Panasonic nimh3000s wern't much better, I ended up giving them away, practically 0 punch
Old 08-23-2007, 05:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
I don't think it's so much misinformation as it is a lack of information - or one resource that you can direct someone to. Reading through all the threads and posts at RCTech is a serious pain in the ass and you have to read a lot of non-essentials material along the way.

For the nitro side of the house, I created NitroKB.com to help people get smart about their cars very quickly. If you could find someone to do something similar for electric cars - or even a general EP TC knowledge base site, you could significantly reduce a lot of the repetitive questions that show up in the forum and get people spun up pretty fast on what they need to know about running EP cars - especially battery facts and safety.
I haven't worked on the in a bit but I started attempting this. I've attached a doc that I was working on. Not nearly complete but I have had it fact checked pretty extensively. Feel free to make suggestions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lipo write up.pdf (57.7 KB, 726 views)
Old 08-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kuzo
I haven't worked on the in a bit but I started attempting this. I've attached a doc that I was working on. Not nearly complete but I have had it fact checked pretty extensively. Feel free to make suggestions.
Thanks for sharing this. I'll be sending you a PM shortly.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

PM Sent
Old 08-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
PM Sent
Got the PM. I'm going to attempt to give accurate, full answers for everything. Your questions are all good ones but getting consistent info from multiple sources can be a challenge.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

What’s the criteria for selecting a container to hold lipos while charging?

1. Obvious Non-flammable
2. Metallic/non-metallic?

Suggestions I’ve heard are ammo boxes, terracotta pots , pyrex (wife wouldn’t be pleased ..), the obvious LipoSack, etc ..

Any other options for what I can scavenge around the house/neighbourhood - Tin cans?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My baby is all growed up!!! See syndr0me...this was a very productive thread after all!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.