Wiki Posts
Search

Li-Awesome Vs. Li-sux

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RandomFellow
Just wondering if anyone has used LiMn and had any problems?

As I see it, LiPo is but a stepping stone to something in the future that is both safe and easy to use. Perhaps LiMn is that battery. Or, perhaps it is another step.

At the very least, the use of LiMn will help disassociate new battery technology from all of the bad press that LiPo gets, even though the batteries are so similar.

So, perhaps LiPo should be considered "sux", and LiMn given the title of "awesome". Any thoughts?
The LiMn is definitely the "sux" cathegory. I've got a 3800 2 cell last year september which seemed to be OK, I posted some discharge curves in a forum and the distributor told me my pack is not good based on the discharge numbers and he is going to replace it when the new batch arrives. I kept using them and was happy with the performance other then it was nowehere near its stated capacity. Then the replacement pack came in the mail in the end of April 07 (!!!) and that is when the real problems started. After 30 charges it started swelling. I had fellow racers who had purchased theirs the same time I've got my replacement and all of them (4 pcs) started swelling halfway through the 8 round racing series. I raced in a 13.5 Brushless class the second guy run in mod (6.5 turn) the third guy who had two packs run a tamiya F1 class with mabuchi motors - so at least he did not have big load on the things. One of the guys contacted apogee about the problem and he got the answer that the swelling does not pose a safety hazard so we decided to keep runing them. On the last round of the series mine died finally (after around 60 cycle) it took 600mA charge when I last tried it. Finaly I deep-discharged it and discarded it - I was told my warranty expired on the thing so don't even dream about replacement... While it lasted though the car performed great with it and I was lucky enough to win the series.

Here is a link showing those are not even so safe after all and we led to believe they are which is even more of a problem:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...re#post2719861
Old 10-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Here is another one lipo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yuntong-lipo-7-4...QQcmdZViewItem

I have tested my packs up to 2c (10 amps)charge with great results. they are also stable down to 4volts.

These are the best performing batteries I have ever tested. they are already winning races. You cannot find a better value and performance than these.

Try them you'll see.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We have sold a few of the Trakpower packs here at the shop to the guys running the new VXL trucks, and a few racers. So far no problems, and the discharge curves have not changed when tested on the gfx after about 30 cycles. Obviously that is not a whole ton, but good to see. Hopefully I will have a chance to retest them after about 60 cycles, and see what the numbers are like once again. I'd put them in the awesome category so far.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StephenSobottka
We have sold a few of the Trakpower packs here at the shop to the guys running the new VXL trucks, and a few racers. So far no problems, and the discharge curves have not changed when tested on the gfx after about 30 cycles. Obviously that is not a whole ton, but good to see. Hopefully I will have a chance to retest them after about 60 cycles, and see what the numbers are like once again. I'd put them in the awesome category so far.
I have had my two Trakpower 4900 packs for a year now. I don't race every weekend - but they are still going well. I check the individual cell voltage and they are still matched.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Trakpower uses Enerland cells I believe, which are known to be pretty good.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Tech Adept

sorry for going off topic, what LIPO will fit a xray T2?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Initiate

I think you need to grind a little bit

the case is square 22.7 X 45 X 137mm

6.5 mohm by cell 2s1p

www.rcbuy.vstore.ca
Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheech4
sorry for going off topic, what LIPO will fit a xray T2?

None are direct fit, I use the 3200 and 4800 in mine but had to machine out the rear bulkhead to fit.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think we know who all the good lipos are. Obviously they don't suck.
Wheres all these cheap ones and are they blowing up?
If we new who the cheap sucky ones were we could avoid buying them. So far all I see for sale are good reputable ones. That appear to being doing just fine in the market place.

If these good ones are so safe and all, why the big t'do about being so careful with them and yet we take no measure in the concern of sub-c's. And how dangerous they are.?
I mean you don't see any one charging sub-c's in a bag or a bunker.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Bottom line is that regardless of Lipo or NiMh batteries are inherently dangerous when not handled properly. I have been very please with my lipo's and don't see myself running any NiMh unless I absolutely have too.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Initiate

With newer generation cell
i don't need bag to charge it

the manufacture test it at 12volt by cell

and make a continuous discharge to 0V

and puncture cell test

personnaly i charge my pack at 2C 10amp and discharge to 2 volt by cell
after two month all my pack is perfect

I think the lipo explosion is past or change for newer cell

French GUY
Old 10-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTAV3&P=7

Seat warmer?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry guys for going off topic here. Using the hyperion lba10 balancer what taps should i use for the apogee LIMN.