Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The latest version of Autoscore is 07.03.19 (which is year.month.day). I have this! That was the last critical update. AS is continually updated. The lastest update (that I know of) is 07.06.18. I have this too.

If you have a "legit" copy of AS, all it will take is a phone call to get the latest version (up to date)
Old 08-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Tech Initiate

For someone who wants to "let it go" why would you post that ridiculous picture?

It's not being a "tough guy" when you call BS on BS. I am not surprised you can't tell the difference.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Why pay when you can get a lap counting system for free? Laps Free! Our local hobby shop bought Jlaps and has had nothing but problems with it. I've used Autoscore and RC Scoring without problems. Never seen Allycat used.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Update: correction

The latest version of AutoScore is 07.07.09. (2007, July 9th) Just got it tonight, haven't had the chance to look at it yet.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would do anything it takes for your club to get RC Scoring Pro. The raw fact is that nearly every major race uses it now days, and this is because of 2 critical reasons:
1 - it works
2 - customer support

No matter how experienced of a race director you are, an issue can come up at any time that you were not aware of. Doug is the only person that you can call from the scoring booth, get an answer, and have any issues fixed before the 2 minute grace timer has expired. The proof is in this thread even. I don't see the reps from any of the other programs on here

As far as the so called *cs* issue, I am very familiar with that situation as well, and dkingston is right on the money with what he said. Doug was more than willing to work with them at first, but they were not willing to purchase the software.

I'm probably a little biased because I am good friends with Doug, but before RCSP came out and I knew Doug, I ran races with Autoscore for years, and also tried JLap for 6 months before we tossed it and went back to Autoscore. Our track has been running RCSP now since it was in early beta stages, and Doug has always been there to help when we needed it.

Plus RC Scoring Pro is the only system that will integrate with LiveRC.com
Old 08-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

A newer hobbyshop near me built a track and me and my son have been running the races there. It's club racing only at this point. We get up to about 20 racers at a race day.

I chose Alycat because of the voice synthesis and the "race director" can easily program the evenings race's and just walk away as the timer runs, if he chooses to. Currently, because it's club racing, more and more of the regulars are learning to setup races and run the software by themselves.

If Doug's software had this same ability I'd go out of my way to get a hold of it to try it out.

The only time I've had problems with Alycat is when I've caused them myself.

We run Alycat with I-Lap Timing hardware, not AMB, and it all works great.

I think almost all of the race mangement software let you had a demo. The only downside of this is the learning curve each software will have so it would cost you time.

I bet you could find tracks near you who run either Alycat or RCSP...go there and sit with a race director......
Old 09-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Good info here on different scoring systems. Our club just purchased a track set up from a commercial track that was closing. We are starting races on our own carpet in 6 weeks, but should be running some pavement races prior.

We received Autoscore version 7.34.06. So how current is this? How did they get to a day of 34??

Question for running the race using an IFMAR start. Is it possible with this software? If so, where do you set it up??

We'd love to purchase RCSP - but after purchasing 7200sf of carpet from CRC, we need to run a few races with what we have!!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Our club used Alycat for the first 4 years of operation. I was probably the only one who knew how to use it well enough to stay out of trouble. We had some issues with RCSP sort of losing a heat at a Pro Series race last year so we stayed with Alycat. This year I tried to train some people on Alycat and it just didn't take so we went to RCSP. It still has the occasional hiccup (which all scoring software has) but the ease of use means almost anyone can step up to the computer and run a race with little experience.

Alycat is not that way but if you have club members who have programmed their own software you should be okay. Our Alycat version is about 3 years old so I'm sure they have made improvements in that time. I think if you have the money RCSP is better but if you only have $300 you can feel good using Alycat as long as you have someone who is good with computers.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Grenade10
We received Autoscore version 7.34.06. So how current is this? How did they get to a day of 34??

You have received an early version of AS (before it was connected to a "date"). I have a few of those myself, 06.06.15, 7.32.12 and more. I don't have any with that code.... so I can't tell you how old it is.

If you received a "legit" version of AS, for a $50 fee you can transfer it to your name. That will get you the latest version, support and updates.

There have been a lot of updates over the past 2-3 years. The latest is probably a lot different than yours.

Edit: That version was released on 03/22/05, so you are 2.5 years behind.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
You have received an early version of AS (before it was connected to a "date"). I have a few of those myself, 06.06.15, 7.32.12 and more. I don't have any with that code.... so I can't tell you how old it is.

If you received a "legit" version of AS, for a $50 fee you can transfer it to your name. That will get you the latest version, support and updates.

There have been a lot of updates over the past 2-3 years. The latest is probably a lot different than yours.

Edit: That version was released on 03/22/05, so you are 2.5 years behind.
Well, I'll send them an e-mail and see about an update.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Our club's experience with Autoscore left a great deal to be desired. We had purchased Autoscore a few years ago but didn't have the IFMAR start capabililty which was, we later learned, an extra-cost update. Ran without.

Last year, right about this time, we decided to pay what was needed to update/upgrade our software to accomodate the IFMAR starts. We left phone messages and e-mails stating very clearly that we were READY TO SPEND MONEY, no questions asked, to upgrade our system. We didn't hear a peep. Not one word. If the customer service/response was that poor to someone shouting "TAKE MY MONEY", how bad will it be when there's a problem?

Short story...we scratched together the $1K or so and bought RC Scoring Pro. Haven't regretted it once since. Doug's support has been available when we've needed it. Well worth the money, and this is a club that a) isn't exactly swimming in dough, and b) had already splashed out pretty long on Autoscore only to end up scrapping it.

As far as USB/not USB what I think I was told by Doug is it has to do with speed of signals/processing? That the USB ends up with a longer delay between car going over loop and the signal registering than users find acceptable.

Scottrik
Old 09-14-2007, 05:03 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Jlap has some very nice features that we really enjoy. The practice and race annoucing are superior and we really enjoy the printout and upload service from JLap.

Pro Score is very easy to use and works in many the same fasion and is excellent for scoring and working through. I find online results a bit difficult to pull down off the site. Live RC is great to watch and a great gain for todays world of instant grat. Thumbs up there.

Both of the above programs will allow you to race in a club enviroment and run the race. A huge plus.

Autoscore will run the races very well, It is not a race management software so it does require a bit of babysitting through the race program.