Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kobiwan
Has anyone put the CRC Pro strut long arm front end on their DB12RR? If so did you like it better and what are the parts and part numbers I need to put the crc long arm front end on?
I have not personaly tried it but at the snowbirds i was helping a customer with there car and didnt have much luck with that front end. We went back to the stock front end and he liked it better. He gained 5 qualifying positions. Not sure if it was all in the front end or if he had something not right but we couldnt get it to work as well as the stock front end.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Anyone tried the serpent front end on their DB12??
Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I havent but would like to. That looks like a nice front end.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by protc3
I have not personaly tried it but at the snowbirds i was helping a customer with there car and didnt have much luck with that front end. We went back to the stock front end and he liked it better. He gained 5 qualifying positions. Not sure if it was all in the front end or if he had something not right but we couldnt get it to work as well as the stock front end.
That was mine The cross brace for the long arm conversion does not fit on the car and has to be cut to fit properly. As a result I had some alignment issues that could not be resolved in time to get the car on pace. Also the king pins are shorter then most so to be able to tune any droop in to the front you have to use the CRC front springs, which I did not have at the time. We do still have 1 driver locally running it on his and liking it. His did not have the alignment problem mine did and he is using the CRC spring. I'm still running the stock front end but I do plan to do some experimenting with the CRC one again when I have more time. For my local asphalt track the front end seemed to work really well...but at the Birds I just didn't have the time to put into correcting the issues we found there so the stock front end was much better.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Doesn't the Serpent front end use a smaller front screw?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

From what I have seen on stromer, it is s direct fit.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:52 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the Serpent car uses smaller screws. But from what I know there are different adapters available for different cars.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fpart
From what I have seen on stromer, it is s direct fit.
I see...looking at the picture in Stormer's website it appears to have 3 different screw size adapters. Looks like 2 silver ones on the left of the picture and 1 black set on the right side. That is very interesting...I might have to get me one to play around with I shouldn't tinker so much...but its so much fun!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I see...looking at the picture in Stormer's website it appears to have 3 different screw size adapters. Looks like 2 silver ones on the left of the picture and 1 black set on the right side. That is very interesting...I might have to get me one to play around with I shouldn't tinker so much...but its so much fun!
I just looked at the pic too. The silver adapters go into the lower arm, they allow track width adjustment. The black adapters go in the aluminum upper arm mount to change the length of the front arm. Check this out.

http://www.serpent.com/image.php?Ima...69809&size=350

Look just behind the turnbuckles you can see the silver insert in the lower arm.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

As this is a pillow ball front end like the CRC I wonder if you'll have the same issue with the kingpin and not be able to use the BMI springs?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
I just looked at the pic too. The silver adapters go into the lower arm, they allow track width adjustment. The black adapters go in the aluminum upper arm mount to change the length of the front arm. Check this out.

http://www.serpent.com/image.php?Ima...69809&size=350

Look just behind the turnbuckles you can see the silver insert in the lower arm.
Serpent's web site has a much better pic. The silver adapters are the same off-set but 2 different screw sizes. Turning them one way or the other will adjust track. Pulled this off their site and magnified the area to make it easier to see:
Attached Thumbnails BMI's DB12R-serpent-front-end.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chris moore
As this is a pillow ball front end like the CRC I wonder if you'll have the same issue with the kingpin and not be able to use the BMI springs?
It might...the issue with the CRC using longer springs is with how thick the lower suspension arm is. Not with the design of the pillow ball suspension.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Serpent's web site has a much better pic. The silver adapters are the same off-set but 2 different screw sizes. Turning them one way or the other will adjust track. Pulled this off their site and magnified the area to make it easier to see:
I was just on the phone with Jason ordering some stuff, when the conversation turned to the Serpent front end. I took a second look and noticed the same thing. Nice close up. Does make it easier to notice.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IDK guys ... every Serpent car I've owned or seen.. was just too damn delicate for racing here in the states. They don't like the boards at all. Ribbon tracks and grass infields are fine for them. We dont have many (if at all) I the s400 was a frail car at best . I bet this ones just like the other serpent cars. Stick with what you know. Wheres the Kyosho or even Tamiya 12th pan cars?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Doesn't the Serpent front end use a smaller front screw?
the S120 car comes with the small screws. The front end kit by itself comes with the metric and the 8-32 to fit other L4 style front ends.

The car in the pic on our site, on the front end, is a crc car with it.

The good news is that there is enough meat on the front end of the BMI car that you should be able to run the Serpent front end and still have a front body mount in it's stock location.

I've got both in my hand. I'd say it's a bolt on for the BMI

I am intimately familiar with the Serpent car, and the front end is fun and seems to work well. It's not better, it's not worse, it's a tool in your arsenal in a battle against the track. well, that and against that 14 year old kid that sits across from you at the track... the one covered in Cheeto dust, that's putting two laps on ya...

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-23-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.