Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey jason. first congats to all the sucess at the birds and everywhere else with the db12r now with the new associated front end being released is that something you are maybe planning to test on the car. i know you would need to make an optional chassis cause of the metric screws but i was just wondering. i mean the standard suspension works great but i like the idea of adjustable caster and front width. and cool new stuff in general thanx bro.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I can always offer a chassis for it. Bob from AE told me he wasnt sure if they would be able to OEM the front end being that the orders would be low. There are 1/12th companies that have released there own front end which reduces the amount of OEM sales they would get from it.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I would like to see DB12R and RC12R5 hybrid....a DB12R5

I like the design of AE's new front end along with the center shock/antenna mount. I'm also a fan of metric hardware. Not really sure about the new shock and rear damper design tho. The pod droop adjustment is pretty clever but I'm excited to see what Jason's idea is.

On the other hand, the current front end is a proven design and DB12R rear end and flex plate are a work of art, it just looks fast standing still. Also, I'm positive the current front end will be supported for many years to come.

So maybe just a chassis plate that will bolt up to the 12R5 front end and new shock mount, if the holes in the new mount arent already the same location as the current mount. I'm sure people will experiment with the new center shock.

If BMI releases a "DB12R5" chassis, and AE decides not to OEM the new front end, the only problem that arises is anodizing the new AE parts to match BMI's
Old 02-17-2008, 03:16 AM
Tech Lord

I will definately find out what i can do. I would also like to try out Speedmerchants front end just to try along with AE. I have driven my car with a CRC front end and it was good but really no different than the stock unless you ran the servo flat. I would like to try more.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by protc3
I will definately find out what i can do. I would also like to try out Speedmerchants front end just to try along with AE. I have driven my car with a CRC front end and it was good but really no different than the stock unless you ran the servo flat. I would like to try more.
Jason,

In your opinion what are the differences and similarities between the assocaited and CRC front ends? What did you notice on the track? I have tried both as well but would be interested in you opinion.

Jeremy
Old 02-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Lord

The only difference i found in the short time i ran it was that the steering geometry is slightly different with the turnbuckle locations on the spindle. The CRC front end seems to work better with the servo on the angled mounts as opposed to flat. The flat servo with the CRC front end pushes pretty bad. Once you put the servo on the angled mounts it is good again. The AE front end seems to have more steering with a flat servo but when both the AE and CRC front ends use the angled mounts,they feel very similar. They both reacted the same when using a longer upper arm position. It smoothed the car out and eliminated some of the camber gain.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Lord

Hey guys,

I experimented with new front springs today at our local race on the DB10R. They are a larger diameter tighter coil spring that is more linear than the AE springs. We found that it made our DB10R go about .3 per lap quicker over the standard AE front springs. They help the front roll more evenly with the rear and enhance rotation. I will be experimenting with them in the 1/12th car also and if they work as well there also, I may go into production with them. I will keep you all posted.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

hm, thats a pretty good time for just a spring change. I would also like to see that speedmerchant front end in there, but i hope the standard DB12R wont become obsolete in a month, lol.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Lord

The DB12R will remain the same with some added options. The front springs made the car roll more in the front which made it roll more even. THis increased rotation and scrub in the corners. I dont know how this will work on the 1/12th but these are actual lap time increases on the 1/10th.

Any test chassis or front end tests are exactly that. Just trying out something new. We spent alot of time in r&d with this car and found the existing front end to be more than suitable for the car. No changes will be made in that respect. Just trying some different things buddy.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Addict

good, i prayed that every 1/12 car wouldnt be a goner every month, and replaced by something else, like in sedan, or nitro offroad, lol.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Lord

Dont worry. I think you will soon realize that this car isnt going to go through any severe changes any time soon. We did our research instead of having the customers do it.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

In general 1/12th is a lot more stable in terms of car designs. You don't see many major changes very often but a few refinements here and there. I think the reason it doesn't seem that way now is because 1/12th is there is somewhat of a resurgence in the class happening so more time is being spent developing new 1/12ths.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I am 95% sure that i am getting this car,just wondering is this car a kit. also is there some setup suggestions that come with the car such as setup sheets
Thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

yup, its a kit, exluding body, wheels, and the electronics. And there is one setup sheet in there, which is a good base, and one blank one, some people put their setup sheets on their website, so you can check back from time to time.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
I am 95% sure that i am getting this car,just wondering is this car a kit. also is there some setup suggestions that come with the car such as setup sheets
Thanks

Go to www.bmiracing.com and you can download the instructions and setup sheets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.