Wiki Posts
Search

Speedpassion Brushless.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Originally Posted by edseb
Yes, we tested at Bending Corners Raceway last weekend and the layout was very slow and tight. We started around 5.5-6.0 and kept going up through the day till about 5.2 and settled around 5.5. I think on a bigger track it could maybe handle the tooth or two. We figured since it is listed a slightly lower wind than a 10.5 Novak we could start around there but with the talk of higher RPM we started lower teeth and moved up from there. Most guys there gear the Novak 10.5 anywhere between 4.6-5.3 with more on the higher end of the range (higher gearing, lower FDR that is). A lot of the same guys also test with the Novak 13.5 and found gearing 4.0 to 4.5.
Will try to see whether we can go such gearing on our local track.

How is the temperature like in California? In Malaysia, our temperature varies from 26-28 Celsius at night and 32-38 Celsius during the day. Is quite humid here too.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Shawn, wouldn't it have been easier to just get Castle to build the product you wanted?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
Shawn, wouldn't it have been easier to just get Castle to build the product you wanted?
No, it wouldn't...just ask Tekin that same question
Old 11-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Considering the other companies have brought Feigao motors to market already, it's interesting to hear some feel like they're not ready.

So I was perusing XRay's site today (I'm considering joining the dark side) and read a race report that was the newest news item. This bit stood out to me:

The Prostock (8.5R Novak or 9.5R Speedpassion) class was also entertaining. Russians Laptev and Karpov were in this class with quite special cars.
So... does that mean the folks overseas have decided the SP 9.5 is about equal to Novak's 8.5? Maybe there's a more reasonable explanation.

I gave the Orion 13.5 another shot, and it still felt slower to me than the Novak. But, I was able to roll up on people in the straights with it, and did my best lap times while using it. It doesn't seem to have the grunt out of the turns, but that actually forced me to stay in the throttle a little deeper through the turns and keep my corner speed up.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
No, it wouldn't...just ask Tekin that same question
rotflmao
Old 11-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Considering the other companies have brought Feigao motors to market already, it's interesting to hear some feel like they're not ready.

So I was perusing XRay's site today (I'm considering joining the dark side) and read a race report that was the newest news item. This bit stood out to me:

So... does that mean the folks overseas have decided the SP 9.5 is about equal to Novak's 8.5? Maybe there's a more reasonable explanation.

I gave the Orion 13.5 another shot, and it still felt slower to me than the Novak. But, I was able to roll up on people in the straights with it, and did my best lap times while using it. It doesn't seem to have the grunt out of the turns, but that actually forced me to stay in the throttle a little deeper through the turns and keep my corner speed up.
did you try advancing the timing??
Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
did you try advancing the timing??
I was under the impression this only changed the power band, and not the overall power output.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

I was under the impression this only changed the power band, and not the overall power output.
it will have more rip out of the corner ,try it 1mm counterclockwise = about 3 degrees timing
Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Singapore ̡͌ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡V
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
RPM is higher but power output is similar so you would go wit the same wind. Most 4wd off road guys are running 5.5's around here. 6.5 in 2wd buggy.
Thanks for the answer...well, i used to use a Novak 5.5r and the speed is good for 4wd buggy, i thought the SP motors are a little faster, that's why i considered the 6.5r motor...guess i'll be getting a 5.5r if the difference is not too much. Once again thanks buddy
Old 11-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Purely based on the performance figures, I would say that the SP 9.5 is closer to the Novak 10.5.

Skiddins
Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by -KilleR-
Will try to see whether we can go such gearing on our local track.

How is the temperature like in California? In Malaysia, our temperature varies from 26-28 Celsius at night and 32-38 Celsius during the day. Is quite humid here too.
Sorry, not as familiar with Celsius on a day to day basis, so you will have to do your own conversions. Anyways, the gearing so far has been the same for high heat and moderate which we are seeing this time of year around 70 f. With Novak's 13.5, guys have experimented a lot and especially at Socal Raceway and some have been able to run 4.0 fdr, while others have blown up the motor at that gearing so those have gone back to around 4.3-4.5. Of course most of the racing and testing has been done with the Novak stuff, since the SP stuff is new, so we've only done initial testing based on the Novak feedback.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

The full on mod motors are good. I've been running right back from the early samples that we had in the UK. As Adrian said the 5.5 is good in 4wd Off rd. Personally i prefer a smaller rotor that the one that comes as std, but with the right gearing the std one is still good. There is a very small issue in there, but that is a Fieago issue that will effect all of the motors from them - Orion, GM, Peak, Trinity etc.

A guy at my local track bought a 9.5 last week and ran it for teh first time this week at the club. His view was that it was the best £38 that he'd spent, really happy with it. I don't have one of these at the moment, but will soon.

The Fieago ESC is a nice speedo for what it is. Have run it a couple of times and generally ok.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Smile SPEEDPASSION 13.5

I have been running the Speedpassion 13.5 in my Scythe and can not gear the car as high as a car fitted with a Novak or LRP 13.5. The car's ideal roll out is approx 38mm, any higher and the motor temp is to high for no real gain in speed. Motor feels soft at higher rollouts.

The 13.5 is marketed as a Super Sportsman Stock series and is not a copy of the Feigao based motor like thse others Orion, Vantage or Trinity.

Not sure if Speedpassion will release a Competition based 13.5 which will place it in the same performance area as the Novak/LRP.

Here's hoping.

Just my two bob's worth.

Later

Calvin
Old 11-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Calvin,

I have an early SP 13.5 and have seen similar results. However, the SP guys have a new version on the way to me that they say is 1:1 to the Novak and LRP 13.5s as far as performance/gearing capability. We shall see shortly.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I have a SP 9.5R coming, so I'll get to give some input one in short order

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.