Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity goes EP!! Wh00t!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

pffft.. nimh.. does ur TX have a walking frame attached to go with that OLD technology.. lol
Old 06-27-2007, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

IB reliability has gone down the tubes since mid last year.

IB's have gotten way too picky and they will drop out or lose run time for no reason. Most people don't have the time or patience to make sweet sweet love to their batteries on race day to keep them from kicking the bucket in a month or so.

If you can't discharge a battery to .9 per cell and then tray it before you charge the next time without it dying or losing 30-60 seconds of run time before the next week then there is something wrong.

Its a good thing cordless drills don't have IB cells in them or you'd be buying new packs for them every month too LOL

GP 3300's were awesome for reliability. you could dead short them and they might lose 30 seconds but always ran strong and didn't die out short of blowing them up. 3800's were OK but never that strong and the ib4200's started out bad, got a little better mid run, and now are back to junk again.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Phroz
pffft.. nimh.. does ur TX have a walking frame attached to go with that OLD technology.. lol

Yep, My helios has a Knee brace, a cane , and my car has Nimh's in it. But I have to run Nimh's because I don't race at "Joe's Backwater, We Don't Need No Stinkin' Rules, Run-What-Cha-Brung, Dirtatorium" I race where there are rules, and I like to go to big events, so no flame-thrower cells for me.

Bring on the Lithium Manganese technology, same or better number of duty cycles, just as much performance, and less volatility than Lipo's. When this technology reaches the RC market in significant number I'll embrace it. 'till then, I'll enjoy running some nice, safe, high performance Nimh EP cells from Hurricane Motorsports, along with my brushed stock motors.

We all know it's just a matter of time before someone, somewhere charges an EP pack at 12 or 14 amps and blows a cell, then three or four of these LIPO people will be in this thread posting the picture and talking about how unsafe Nimh's are. That's what they do in EVERY battery related thread on RCTech.

Now Lipo lovers, go hunker down in your lipo threads and bitch about new NIMH development, before all the nimh guys go into the threads about YOUR batteries and start posting pictures of fires, and stories from people whose homes or cars have burned-up because of the inherently safe and user friendly LIPO's you all love so much.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

oops, double post.

Last edited by CypressMidWest; 06-27-2007 at 05:56 AM. Reason: double post
Old 06-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

dupe
Old 06-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest

Now Lipo lovers, go hunker down in your lipo threads and bitch about new NIMH development, before all the nimh guys go into the threads about YOUR batteries and start posting pictures of fires, and stories from people whose homes or cars have burned-up because of the inherently safe and user friendly LIPO's you all love so much.
As Eddie Murphy once said in a stand-up, "Now that's a fire!" - Yeah, I was in my corner of the track marshalling and I heard some yelling at the other end and with peripheral saw a massive yellow flash. I turned to look and what was in my friends hand was a TC that initially started to smoke and then made itself into a worthy starter brick for a deprived camp fire or fire place.

What I did not see was it initially started on fire in my friends hand and in haste to discard it, had tossed the flame underneath the driverstand... made of wood! Yeah... not good. Like I mentioned earlier, it was now a perfect starter brick. It flashed to a three foot plus tall flame and settled to a foot-and-a-half tall. A small mushroom cloud had formed like a tiny nuke was dropped.

The shop owner quickly raced off his perch in race management with a now empty small to medium sized trash can and kicked the flaming kit into it... or so he thought, as it would bond to his shoe so you could see him struggle a bit to free his now flaming foot. It was in the trash can and back out... in and out... until he swiped his foot on the edge of the trach can to break the bond. Mike, the owner, ran it to the back of the building and some how the kit was salvaged and back on the track for the main.

That's Lipo for ya folks!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by David Galdo
As Eddie Murphy once said in a stand-up, "Now that's a fire!" - Yeah, I was in my corner of the track marshalling and I heard some yelling at the other end and with peripheral saw a massive yellow flash. I turned to look and what was in my friends hand was a TC that initially started to smoke and then made itself into a worthy starter brick for a deprived camp fire or fire place.

What I did not see was it initially started on fire in my friends hand and in haste to discard it, had tossed the flame underneath the driverstand... made of wood! Yeah... not good. Like I mentioned earlier, it was now a perfect starter brick. It flashed to a three foot plus tall flame and settled to a foot-and-a-half tall. A small mushroom cloud had formed like a tiny nuke was dropped.

The shop owner quickly raced off his perch in race management with a now empty small to medium sized trash can and kicked the flaming kit into it... or so he thought, as it would bond to his shoe so you could see him struggle a bit to free his now flaming foot. It was in the trash can and back out... in and out... until he swiped his foot on the edge of the trach can to break the bond. Mike, the owner, ran it to the back of the building and some how the kit was salvaged and back on the track for the main.

The real question here is, how many guys stayed on the stand because they were in the middle of their best heat of the day?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

All of them... except the new owner of a four-wheeled flame...

Yeah they continued to race past the 5 minutes until someone could run up to race management and call the race. Heck, I stayed at my post. I was not having anything to do with the mushroom cloud!

This all occured last weekend during our Red River series.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

All of them... except the new owner of a four-wheeled flame...

Yeah they continued to race past the 5 minutes until someone could run up to race management and call the race. Heck, I stayed at my post. I was not having anything to do with the mushroom cloud!

This all occured last weekend during our Red River series.
Frickin' AWESOME!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

What type of lipo was that? Thats actually the first fire I have heard of at the track other than Cuff's catching on fire in his real car.

EA
Old 06-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Bring on the Lithium Manganese technology, same or better number of duty cycles, just as much performance, and less volatility than Lipo's. When this technology reaches the RC market in significant number I'll embrace it.
Lithium Mangenese is a LiPo battery.

Infact many people would consider the Orion LiPo battery by definition a Lithium Manganese LiPo battery and as it is the top selling LiPo in our market. I guess your prayers are answered, I am sure your local hobby shop carries them.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

You mean that is cheap LiPo for you

In actuality this happens with NiCD and NiMH far more often then LiPo except with NiCD/NiMH you also get the wonders of flying red hot metal shards

Do the research.

Before the flames or claims of bias, remember I work for the true world leader in both Ni and Li R/C batteries so this is not based on biased it is based on facts.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

It was a MaxAmps 6000. To be fair , the guy couldnt drive the car at all and he hit almost every wall ; literally. Nice guy and all but his driving ability was pretty poor that day.
Amazingly the car came out unscathed. I think the marshall may have been able to get the battery out of the car before it turned up the flames.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MrBlack
Lithium Mangenese is a LiPo battery.

Infact many people would consider the Orion LiPo battery by definition a Lithium Manganese LiPo battery and as it is the top selling LiPo in our market. I guess your prayers are answered, I am sure your local hobby shop carries them.
Interesting, I was unaware that the Orion Lipo was in fact a Lithium Manganese construction. That would explain their claims of lower volatility, as opposed to packs by thunder power, and others on the market.

Does Orion have any plans to market any type of cells that would fit in a 12th scale car, and if so, how can a manufacturer overcome the voltage disparity between 4-cell (4.8v nominal) nimh rules for 12th scale and the available voltage ranges possible with Lipo's?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

novak announced in another thread that they are developin a "spec speed" motor like a 17.5 that will probably allow 12th scale guys to run 7.4v with similar speeds to what some classes of 12th run now.. now fit issues in 12th are another issue.. i'd love to see orion make sadle paks that can be split, 1 for 12th scale or two for traditional saddle pack configurations like my PRO10..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.