Wiki Posts
Search

Good value setup station

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vabroom
Does anyone know if the teammagic setup comes with a toe-in guage? I think that's what it is. Anyway it's the clear plastic plate.
It does (I have one), you can use it on the front and the back. regarding use it to measure steering throw, never use it to do that.... but it is kinda limited, not sure now how many degrees (I´m @ Malpensa Airport right now)...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge
I'll stick my oar in as I always do in these kind of threads.

"Setup stations" are a waste of time. When do you ever race your car with 5mm acrylic squares instead of tyres?

Best setup system is a flat board (Hudy sell their own boards seperately, I got the 1/10th version for £12.99 UK), a camber gauge (RPM is reliable and easy to use) and a ride height gauge (I use a 3racing one, you can also use it to measure droop if you place the chassis flat on the board without tyres).

Put the wheels you will be using on the car (assuming they are not distorted), set your ride height first, then your droop, tweak, cambers etc, recheck and you are good to go. Total expense under £30 UK. And probably a better setup car than any setup station would give you.

I have to somewhat disagree with you. I don't know what you measure to set your car up, one of the most important factors when I am setting my car up is the front toe. running on carpet, i want to make sure that my front toe in is at 0 degrees because with a little toe in, it makes the steering too aggressive and with toe out, the car tends to push.

I don't disagree about the fact that there are guys out there without a set up station and they run their cars great, I like to have a set up station because at bigger races, I have the ability to check my car as well as my tweak just in case of a hard crash. at club races, I put my car on the setup station before the race but I don't check it in between heats as I would at a big race.

Once again it is preference but I think having a set up station "for me" is extremely valuable because it helps me out with my setup. Opinion of course.