Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Legalization

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Goggles Paesan
Yeah, you know what that something in their hand was (BIG $$$$). How else did Brushless get approved like a week before the Nationals in CT. As soon as one of the Lipo Mfg. pays the appropriate $ then it will magically become legal, quite possibly overnight, and probably right before the Excon's term is up.
It just dosen't work like that
Old 05-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

OH, that's right of course not!
Old 05-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

to me, this is all academic. The masses out in the world will go where they can save money in the long run. Regardless of what organizaion does what, the manufacturers will push what sells most. As the RACING portion of the R/C market is so small, and bashers so many, what do you think will happen to the "older" power supplies and motors? As the supply of Ni-Cds, Ni-Mhs, and brushed motors dwindle, the "Ruling bodies" will have to accept the inevitable. No matter what you are talking about, technology marches on and changes will happen.

As for Li-Po's blowing up, how come it's only a concern in R/C and not with the cell phones plastered to so many ears? Anyone remember that Ni-Mh batteries can blow up too if exposed to water? Remember Ni-Cds venting and spraying stuff all over the place when someone would over charge them??

If your track wont allow them, so be it. Just remind the owner that it was his decision to turn away customers when the time comes to close the doors due to lack of drivers.

I remember when 1400's were going to kill the sport when they came out. Then it was the 1700's and then the 2000's and all the motor of the week stuff. All this "controversery" to will pass, and guess what we'll be running when it's over?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The LiPo batts we have today are as safe or safer than IB4200 NiMh cells.

Goggles Paesan - I feel sorry for you if you really believe what you are saying. Get back to your search for proof of UFO's and don't clog up this thread with consiracy crap.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Perhaps a lobbyist would help...it always seems to work with the government.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

this is still one of my all-time favorite pics on rctech for a multitude of reasons... not just the whole NiMh's are safer stuff... i think that was a 4200 shell.. errr.... i mean cell

Old 05-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=AdrianM]The LiPo batts we have today are as safe or safer than IB4200 NiMh cells.

QUOTE]

Looking at all the problems with the new series of IB4200's.. No doubt about the LiPo's being safer
Old 05-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=Rick Thomson]
Originally Posted by AdrianM
The LiPo batts we have today are as safe or safer than IB4200 NiMh cells.

QUOTE]

Looking at all the problems with the new series of IB4200's.. No doubt about the LiPo's being safer

same here... i believe lipos are SAFE, per se, accidents will always happen with various types of uses and users...

i just hope EFRA or ROAR, addresses the issue as soon as possible, or at the very least have a different class for them at the moment.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by discoverer188

same here... i believe lipos are SAFE, per se, accidents will always happen with various types of uses and users...

i just hope EFRA or ROAR, addresses the issue as soon as possible, or at the very least have a different class for them at the moment.
same here
Old 05-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Rookie

It amazes me how some things are "not approved" while other technology flies right on by.

If Lipo's are non approved, why are brushless motors allowed, or nickel metal batteries, or Nicads for that matter.

Makes no sense to me why lipo's are not legal.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The only reasons the latest NiMh cells are dropping off more quickly and exploding more frequently is because the manufacturers are pushing the limits of the technology.

If/when lipos are legalized, you can expect the battery war to start and then we'll know if they are really safe or not.

Lipos in their current form are as safe as NiMh but once they are legalized and pro racers start asking for more amps that could change with drastic consequences. Does anybody want to bet their house on that? You're asking ROAR to.

This is mostly an on-road issue and I say let Europe and Japan figure this out first and then the States can just follow whatever they do. Until then, there are plenty of club tracks that allow them.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Outside of some dunce not buying the right charger, I beg to see what makes Li-po packs so unsafe. With brushless/Li-Po, one doesnt have to worry about making the five minute mark, ergo, gear your car right and drive. What is so dangerous? As meticulous as electric dudes are, I ponder at what mishaps can occur if all precautions are met. I have had a few NiMh sizzle, leak, poof and one do a ricochet rabbit. My Pro4 sat under the wheel of a car and I am STILL using the same Li-Po pack. So, sub-standard c(ell) users, please tell me why you still feel that NiMh is better?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ed237
The only reasons the latest NiMh cells are dropping off more quickly and exploding more frequently is because the manufacturers are pushing the limits of the technology.

If/when lipos are legalized, you can expect the battery war to start and then we'll know if they are really safe or not.

Lipos in their current form are as safe as NiMh but once they are legalized and pro racers start asking for more amps that could change with drastic consequences. Does anybody want to bet their house on that? You're asking ROAR to.

This is mostly an on-road issue and I say let Europe and Japan figure this out first and then the States can just follow whatever they do. Until then, there are plenty of club tracks that allow them.
I'll take that bet! With todays packs, there is no need to push the envelope. You have punch, power and run-time on tap for 20-30 minutes. Why would anyone need to do anything further? Charge two packs the night before and run all weekend. I'll see that bet and raise you a house!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Just for the record we attempted to submit the Our LiPo's but we're told by ROAR they could not be accepted as there was no catoragory for a LiPo battery.

Somebody is not communicating or is holding out on something for some reason ?

We have absolutely have no problem submitting a battery for approval and would send one out today if we felt it would make a difference. FYI our chem data sheet are public knowledge and by law we have to have it available for any of our resellers.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ed237

You're solution is no solution at all.. why are you shifting the problem from the ROAR to Asia and EFRA. You are now shifting it to us.. why should the ROAR not try it and maybe burn theirselves.. but should EFRA do... This exactly is why we aren't racing LiPo yet.. Because everybody is waiting for someone else.. It's a matter of taking a chance and try it yourselves....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.