Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The prototype car is on the winning pace

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Big B
Looks to me almost like a home built car, the diffs are from associated (pretty sure), antenna mount xray, front upper bumper xray, the hubs all the way around almost look like xray aluminum rear uprights, the upper a arm is a couple of shumacher turnbuckles, lower arms look like xray, etc...
Yes, of course some parts are using from current cars, but the suspension are fully original - there are no one part from any other car.

Of course, when the producing started, the car will looks better and all parts will be original.

There will be gearhousing from CNC Aluminium instead geaboxes from PRO4, lower upper deck, lower steering, etc. That car is just to test suspesion - we see, that it works really really good.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:40 AM
Tech Adept

Will these dampers also work on bumpy outdoor tracks...
Dampers are not that critical on a carpet track where I assume this car has been tested. But it will be interesting to see it, dampers are so underdeveloped in all classes of rc cars.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by moonman
Will these dampers also work on bumpy outdoor tracks...
Dampers are not that critical on a carpet track where I assume this car has been tested. But it will be interesting to see it, dampers are so underdeveloped in all classes of rc cars.
it works really good )) both it has different forward-back viscosity.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 AM

Some photos of the car from Russian National winter championship:

http://rcauto.spb.ru/forum/index.php...e=post&id=3552
http://rcauto.spb.ru/forum/index.php...e=post&id=3551
http://rcauto.spb.ru/forum/index.php...e=post&id=3550
Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by number_one

There will be gearhousing from CNC Aluminium instead geaboxes from PRO4, lower upper deck, lower steering, etc. That car is just to test suspesion - we see, that it works really really good.
that sounds heavy would rather see plastic
Old 04-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RandyB
that sounds heavy would rather see plastic
It you tighten molded gearboxes too much, it will bind the gears. CNCing them will make them perfect so you can tighten them all the way.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

metal threaded inserts in the plastic work well too. And with shaft car gear boxes you never want to tighten them all the way. Bearings are bound to bind up
Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
Well heck...no wonder the car did so well. Two of the cars in that pic don't even have chassis'
Thats funny but im with Jo90 on this one, nice to see someone developing something different.

And yes, in stock you need all the sharp response you can get from the transmissions "on power loading" and shaft driven cars give that nicely
Old 04-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RandyB
metal threaded inserts in the plastic work well too. And with shaft car gear boxes you never want to tighten them all the way. Bearings are bound to bind up
But if they were CNC aluminum you could tighten the snot out of them, and they wouldn't bind up. Thay way the diffs are sealed.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

not true, I had aluminum diff cases on my tc4 and if you overtighten them they bind the bearings
Old 04-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Team Tekin

I think aluminum diff housing will be fine. It'll make up the lost weight for not having traditional coil-over dampers and be eye candy at the same time. Car's gotta meet weight restrictions, and I bet it wouldn't if it was all plastic/cf with the type of suspension they are designing. Looking at that pic there are like 10 lead weights in the front of that thing, alloy diff housings would help. I'd rather not have to put $50 in quarters in my car to make weight, youknowwhatimsayin'?

Looks cool, can't wait to see how the damping system works!
Old 04-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

So from looking at all the pictures and posts, I basically gather that this is a shaft drive 4WD pan car with gear reduction and independent suspension with 1/12th style grease/friction dampers. There's a custom gearbox that mounts directly to the motor shaft and does the 90deg with bevel gears to a shaft where a standard pinion mounts to drive a standard spur like a traditional shaft car. Thats a nice idea for a good "CARPET" CAR! Once is gets lumpy and bumpy outdoors, its back to the traditional shocks and suspension. Still good though, has Marty L. Petersen seen this yet?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
So from looking at all the pictures and posts, I basically gather that this is a shaft drive 4WD pan car with gear reduction and independent suspension with 1/12th style grease/friction dampers. There's a custom gearbox that mounts directly to the motor shaft and does the 90deg with bevel gears to a shaft where a standard pinion mounts to drive a standard spur like a traditional shaft car. Thats a nice idea for a good "CARPET" CAR! Once is gets lumpy and bumpy outdoors, its back to the traditional shocks and suspension. Still good though, has Marty L. Petersen seen this yet?
MMM OK,,,
Old 04-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
100% wrong on both assumptions. 1st it's not a bevel gear that does the 90° transfer, 2nd he wouldn't be patenting the shocks if they were the same thing as used in 12th scale. I know the designer, he's a very talented engineer, and although I don't know everything that's going on with that car, I can tell you we're in for a few innovations there.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
100% wrong on both assumptions. 1st it's not a bevel gear that does the 90° transfer, 2nd he wouldn't be patenting the shocks if they were the same thing as used in 12th scale. I know the designer, he's a very talented engineer, and although I don't know everything that's going on with that car, I can tell you we're in for a few innovations there.
Okay then is he using something like a flex drive similar to a Dremel tool for the 90? Is the dampening separate of the springs? If so, is he using leaf springs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.