Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Micro RS4

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 01:12 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Racer X: Heres the set up I have on my micro. I was aiming for an excellent handling car with-out breaking the bank. I achieved this goal and the car is a blast to drive.

-ARM(American Racing Models) chassis-Its fiberglass, such a small car doesn't need graphite, its just eye candy. Its wider than any other chassis out there, giving you plenty of mounting options. And it only cost $12

-GM V3r speedo- Its small, light and has external solder points. Plus it has the benefit of having reverse, which is what I wanted so I could drive the car around the house without having to chase it if it got stuck.

-XXL reciever-Simple choice here, its small. KO reciever would also work well in this situation since its tiny as well

-Hitec HS-225BB or HS-225MG mighty mini servo-check out these specs:.11 sec/60degrees, torque-66.65oz.in. Thats @ 6.0 volts.

-6 2/3A cells- I got mine from The Battery Station, but theres plenty of places to find these. Tip: try to get them with "Tabs"

-ARM BMW V12 body- no real performance reason. I just like the look of this body. The ARM Toyoya is also sweet.

The front diff is a little rough, so some people replace it with a one-way or diff. Its working fine for me so I stuck with it. I also stayed with the rear diff. Its smooth as can be, so I don't see any reason to replace it. Same for the kit motor. With six cells, the kit motor is more than respectable. If your going to be racing, I figure you'll go with a speed300 motor. But be prepared to swap it out when your son is playing. Speed300 motors just are too fast for anything other than wide open spaces. I also dumped the upper deck since the ARM chassis doesn't really need it.

Heres a look at how I have everything laid out.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Micro RS4-arm-micro-bmwv12.jpg  
Old 09-13-2002, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the info Dark, I found the ARM site. Any reccommended places on line where I can buy their stuff?

Also, does the body make any difference with the micros?
Old 09-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Believe it or not, bodies do make a difference with the micros...

The ARM Toyota TS020 GT1LM is hands down the best body available..really makes an already good set-up even better.

The HPI Vette is the better handling bod from HPI IMO. But I also have a thing about looking good as well as handling good and have had their BMW work almost as good with the addition of winglets to the rear spoiler/wing (the winglets actually stabilizes the rear end of the car when rounding the corners).

Another good handler is the ProLine 360Modena..I'v only tried it with the HPI wing kit, but i'm sure the included spoiler will work also..
Old 09-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well I wont get into whether the bodies make a difference or not. I've been down that road with 1/10th scale sedan bodies and theres just no way to win that debate. Either you believe bodies make a big difference or not. So you have to make that call Racer X!

Go to the yahoo search engine and type in HPI RS4 Micro. You'll get plenty of good sites. Some good places to look on the web:

http://www.microhopups.com/

http://www.micrors4zone.com/

http://www.microrcracing.com/Micro%2...0Hop%20ups.htm

These are just few places. If you do a search with your favorite search engine, you'll find even more sites.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks to both of you for the info. i personally believe that bodies make a HUGE difference in 1/10th scale as I have done the testing that supports it. I just didn't know if the smaller cars would really notice the change...Thanks again
Old 09-16-2002, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Well, we had GTG this past weekend. Tons of fun. I have some pix and video on my site. Just go here to see the racing action...
Old 09-16-2002, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

TPhalen, could you post the "specs" of the two cars in the vids... i.e. tires, motors, speedos, chassis mods etc..seem to be 'hooked-up'..
Old 09-16-2002, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

The silver one is on my site. Here's the link to check them out...

http://ebiz.netopia.com/competitionx/myprojects/

The other one has a few mods to it. Both cars are running 5-cells with stock motors.

We usually run 6-cell but most of the drivers already had 5-cells installed, so that's what we went with.

All are running soft rear tires, kit fronts, and some spring changes to get the cars to really work. We've found that you need to really get the cars 'free' suspension-wise to get the most out of them.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

what types of motors do you use on your micros? im currently using the stock one with 6-AA batts. what do you guys think of the HPI modified motor? what about the team orion elite and big block? are there other brands of motors? also, ive read that someone used a graupner 300 motor. how does it compare to the HPI and orion motors? thanks for any info i dont really plan to race regularly but i would like something faster than the kit motor.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

For smaller tracks, we run 5/6 cells with a stock motor.

For larger tracks, it's definitely 6 cells and a big block. The big block is the only way to go for larger tracks. Although, I've heard of a brushless that'll fit in these cars....
Old 10-23-2002, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

thanks i understand that the big block comes with a motor mount. the thing is i already have a 1-piece aluminum motor mount / rear shaft holder and i dont think it will fit. right now, im deciding between the orion stock motor and the hpi mod motor (45 turns, i think) in our LHS, the mod motor is twice as expensive as the stock one. if powered by 6 cells, is there a noticeable difference between the 2 motors? i plan to run it in a technical track, about 18 sec lap times for 1/10 stock.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

also, i am running the dodge viper body, mainly because it requires that the wheels be mounted on its widest setting, making it easier to take off. my question is, what is the width of the new acura nsx or mazda rx7 bodies? is it the same as the viper body? are there aftermarket bodies available, other than from HPI? finally, is there an easier way to take off the wheels? thanks again for any info
Old 10-27-2002, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

The HPI modified is noticably faster, but its nothing like a speed 300 or similar motor. I run the HPI modified motor and I like it except, I don't like having to replace the brushes because I run my micro A LOT in my backyard racetrack next to the pool. I run my car at least 3hours every week. thats about 6 runs. Many times I do more. I will soon be getting two sets so I never run out, in case I can't go to the LHS.

If you want real speed, get the 300, if you want to run your car for a long time while getting more power, go with the HPI modified motor( its also good if you have a small area to race in, i.e., I race within 40 feet by 20 feet on average.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

I don't know about the nsx or the rx7, but I had a question.
Why don't more people use the Mercedes CLK DTM body? I painted one for my friend, and It is wide and 150mm long? performance wise, it is great. Visually, I think it looks the best; but why does no one to have one?

I think too many people idolize the import culture. thats my opinion, and I know I'll make people mad but, while honda's are better than most Ford's (there's got to be one) They are still not all that special. Sure we can't get Skylines ( well most of us) but there are better cars.

Point being, I say that the Mercedes CLK DTM is the best body offered by HPI.

And about your wheels. Just run your car as much as mine, and you won't be able to keep you tire on the funky inner wheel thing. i need new ones. so, I can't help you there.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

thanks ill go for the 300, i think its available in our lhs and its cheaper than the other motors. hopefully, it will fit with some mods on the motor mount.

about the body, i agree with you that the mercedes dtm is a great looking micro body. unfortunately, i have to wait til it arrives in our lhs bec it is only available as a micro kit, not the body alone . for this body, im willing to convert to 150mm and set aside my 140mm bodies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.