Wiki Posts
Search

keeping up with the Jones'

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bikerbob
Why do you get a new 1/10 Touring car every year or every other year... or maybe you do it even more often than that?

Just wondered if for most in this hobby it is simply to say you run the latest or most popular car at the track?

Or is it that your truly think this one is THAT much better than the 1 year old car you have just invested $1000+ in..

When they get old and parts support is gone, or a specific model has proved problemmatic with durabuility etc.. thats one thing..

At my track if Xray released a new car in 2 months time saying they just solved the question of life and this car was it.. I think half the place would buy it.. even though they all just bought a t2007...

I think some people buy new kits as impulse buys and a minority would actually think that a new kit is for additional speed.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bikerbob
Why do you get a new 1/10 Touring car every year or every other year... or maybe you do it even more often than that?
Personally... I am more like 2-3 cars a year... why??? It's not to try and race a different Tamiya chassis... I like Tamiya products and enjoy building the kits.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muahdib4
People buy simply like you stated...because they want the newest hottest thing. People will tell you like Desolas did that the new chassis shaves .10ths of seconds off of laps but come on...does it really...NO. It's something that people tell themselves and others to justify the purchase of something new. The truth is that you'll see old TC3s and TA05s beating Xrays and Corallys at club races all the time. It's all about driving and not what chassis you have. If you can't take a good line then you won't take a better line with an upgraded chassis. People upgrade far sooner then they should but it's because they cow to the new advertising. They follow. It's that simple. People are nothing but 'herd' animals..they 'herd' this is the hot chassis and is faster so they follow the 'herd' and go out and buy it. Smug XRay owners are the worst at that. Because XRay paid $$$$$$ for the best drivers in the business to put them on the podium at all the big races...people see that and think that the new chassis will suddenly put them on the podium too. It doesn't though does it. Just because people own a particular chassis they think it ties them to those big wins. It doesn't. It's the same reason you see so many Yankees fans all over the country...they want to be associated with something that wins even if they can't win with it themselves.

With that mentality then I guess a 77 Chevette can blow the doors off a Ferrari Enzo on a track if the guy driving the Enzo is blind and can't reach the pedals...

You post on every thread that Xray paid this and that and the whole Yankee theme over and over again. I challenge you to do the research and you will see that the Xray "dream team's" payroll is closer to the Marlins than the Yankees.

Another question I have is why is the debate of TC's so important to you? You say you only race Mini's anyhow???
Old 02-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

I see most racers buying new kits to get faster. Oddly enough it is the same racers that think they dont need to practice as well. Thus the new car dont last long in thier pits cuz they have to get the newest one so they get faster. This has beacome a big problem in touring car racing as it has skyrocketed the cost of new kits. But personally I like them guys They buy the newest greatest kits spend loads of thier money hopping it up. Then they sell it off to guys like me who buy new 2 month old cars for half the cost of new. The only thing that really makes you faster is wheel time. The guys that others say can wheel a tin can with square wheels and be fast how do you think they got that way?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

To some extent, it's vanity. The car you drive is like a fashion accessory when you're at the track hanging out.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

When does the new Xray come out?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Should be out as soon as it is needed or isn't winning races...so let's see...Ummm yup..NOT NECESSARY.

If you build it they will come...... Here's my question...who the hell told them to come? AHAHAHAHAAHAHH!!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

I bought a different car strickly due to parts availability. I definitely agree that once you have a nice car with all the adjustments that driver improvement is the biggest factor.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by or8ital
When does the new Xray come out?
Expecting the 5 cell euro Version any day soon and can`t wait
Old 02-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Who cares if someone wants to change r/c cars every month. This is still a hobby. All you can really do is control your own spending and what you buy. Anyway you all look at new kits and drool over it just for the cool factor. lol
Old 02-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by TeamButter
Should be out as soon as it is needed or isn't winning races...so let's see...Ummm yup..NOT NECESSARY.
Uh huh. I'm going to quote this in 6 months when you're talking about how great the new car is.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation I hear ya man.....

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
I've been known to buy a kit just to have something to build. As is the case with this brand new 1/18th Scalpel that showed up on my doorstep.

I love building, getting the electronics in JUST SO...driving is just and added bonus.
The driving is a bonus, sure it's nice to win but I love the 'JUST SO' factor.

Of course the latest chassis isn't required.

At a nationals a couple of years ago I ran a Yokomo CGM (I didn't place well and that's not the point lol) and the guy that won it was driving the latest Xray of the time.

But because I spent two months building it, yes two months, of only a couple of hours each day during the week and being EXACT in shimming/measurements and with ceramic bearings when he entered the straight just behind me I had to slow down at the end of the straight to let him past because speed wise he couldn't catch me.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Uh huh. I'm going to quote this in 6 months when you're talking about how great the new car is.
If there is refinement then it WILL be better. I suppose you still have your Tandy or Commodore 64 as well? If it is better I'll be the first one posting on how good it is. Save the post and let me know.....
Old 02-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by TeamButter
If there is refinement then it WILL be better. I suppose you still have your Tandy or Commodore 64 as well? If it is better I'll be the first one posting on how good it is. Save the post and let me know.....
Na, I'm guilty there. I buy a new laptop about every other model, and I know damn well I don't need it.

I'm off my XRay soapbox for a while, you can't argue with results. Well you can, but you'll just sound like a whiner or a malcontent.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Na, I'm guilty there. I buy a new laptop about every other model, and I know damn well I don't need it.

I'm off my XRay soapbox for a while, you can't argue with results. Well you can, but you'll just sound like a whiner or a malcontent.

LMAO..... I new you had to be guilty of something!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.