Wiki Posts
Search

keeping up with the Jones'

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default keeping up with the Jones'

Why do you get a new 1/10 Touring car every year or every other year... or maybe you do it even more often than that?

Just wondered if for most in this hobby it is simply to say you run the latest or most popular car at the track?

Or is it that your truly think this one is THAT much better than the 1 year old car you have just invested $1000+ in..

When they get old and parts support is gone, or a specific model has proved problemmatic with durabuility etc.. thats one thing..

At my track if Xray released a new car in 2 months time saying they just solved the question of life and this car was it.. I think half the place would buy it.. even though they all just bought a t2007...
Old 02-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I replace a car once it is either completely worn out or I get offered something I can't refuse.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:54 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you want to have the fastest car sometimes it takes buying the newest car. The 007 is a good example of that, in an entire field of T2's, the single 007 stands out as the car thats putting down .02 faster laptimes. If you want that two tenths back, you gotta upgrade.

I don't buy because it's new, I buy because it's faster. If it will make me faster, I will buy it. If it is really really cool I'll buy it also because I am into this enough that I enjoy doing it. Most of my Much More stuff I bought because it was cool.

On a club level it is kind of crazy how competitive we all are...but thats the way it is.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

i just like building kits :P
Old 02-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Desolas
If you want to have the fastest car sometimes it takes buying the newest car
Sure, the 007 is fast, but don't you think the reason they are faster is because now everyones riding one, they all have the setups to go faster?

Don't you think, if everyone drove a model or two back, the laptimes would be just as fast, if not because of motor, battery or tires or driver ability?

Don't get me wrong, a new car has its advantages, and the R&D put behind is worth the buy, but..... maybe its the perceived notion of being faster.

:| just curious.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

People buy simply like you stated...because they want the newest hottest thing. People will tell you like Desolas did that the new chassis shaves .10ths of seconds off of laps but come on...does it really...NO. It's something that people tell themselves and others to justify the purchase of something new. The truth is that you'll see old TC3s and TA05s beating Xrays and Corallys at club races all the time. It's all about driving and not what chassis you have. If you can't take a good line then you won't take a better line with an upgraded chassis. People upgrade far sooner then they should but it's because they cow to the new advertising. They follow. It's that simple. People are nothing but 'herd' animals..they 'herd' this is the hot chassis and is faster so they follow the 'herd' and go out and buy it. Smug XRay owners are the worst at that. Because XRay paid $$$$$$ for the best drivers in the business to put them on the podium at all the big races...people see that and think that the new chassis will suddenly put them on the podium too. It doesn't though does it. Just because people own a particular chassis they think it ties them to those big wins. It doesn't. It's the same reason you see so many Yankees fans all over the country...they want to be associated with something that wins even if they can't win with it themselves.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

In Auto and Motorcycle racing.. and I used to do both in a small scale... there is an age old saying... "Win on Sunday --- Sell on Monday"

But interestingly enough.. its also usually the team with the best drivers, and the most R&D and trackside support that wins.. not the chassis.

.02 sec... Do you remember an article in one of the rc mags.. cant remember which.. but one of the top Offroad drivers took a B4 he was allowed to set up.. and ran it a number of times.. to get his best laps..

Then was given an original Rc10 gold tub car... and told.. set it up.. but try and get your best times with THIS car..

Lap times.. 1 sec slower.. Don't get me wrong.. technology makes a difference when the driver stand has the top 10 in the area battling it out.. but it kills me when Joe club racer is vie'ing for his .02 sec gain.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bikerbob
In Auto and Motorcycle racing.. and I used to do both in a small scale... there is an age old saying... "Win on Sunday --- Sell on Monday"

ahh yes the good ole days.. problem is, i can't find 2 door ford fusion or dodge charger to buy.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

What other company besides xray has put out more than one car in less than a years time? My t2 is my first car so I can't say whether or not I'll keep up with the jones' but everything is like this in this hobby, batteries, motors, tires, bodies, speed controls, etc, etc. Half of the people are complaining that there are too many new products and the other half are complaining that they're aren't enough, or that everyone is copying everyone else's design, its like being married!!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

I posted this comment in another thread and it applies here too.

This is exactly what I have been saying at my track, thanks. Everyone is chasing the hype, around november 90% of the drivers had the infamous Xray 007 US Carpet spec and if you didnt own one you didnt know what you were doing, and late in december everyone (95% of the original 90%) suddenly switched to the corally RDX US carpet car and several of the drivers even said that their great Xray was crap and even a bad purchase. My conclusion was that after any big race or if any of the local tracks fast guys says this is what they are having success with everyone jumps on thir coat tails trying to keep up. All that being said all of these cars are capable but its the driver thats ultimately the guy thats fast, so practice dont change your car/setup just because someone else is fast. What fun is that when everyone is running the same car, ESC, body, motor, tires, etc... Do you!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeXray
What other company besides xray has put out more than one car in less than a years time? My t2 is my first car so I can't say whether or not I'll keep up with the jones' but everything is like this in this hobby, batteries, motors, tires, bodies, speed controls, etc, etc. Half of the people are complaining that there are too many new products and the other half are complaining that they're aren't enough, or that everyone is copying everyone else's design, its like being married!!
I understand the electronics side of the whole "keeping up with the jones' " batteries, ESC, servos, fans, bearings, even tires, but to change your car. I think it takes a little more than on season to really get comfortable with a car (setup, suspension geometry, handling characteristics etc.) so changing a car just to have the latest kit does no even seem productive to me, because your constantly starting over.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCMits
Sure, the 007 is fast, but don't you think the reason they are faster is because now everyones riding one, they all have the setups to go faster?

Don't you think, if everyone drove a model or two back, the laptimes would be just as fast, if not because of motor, battery or tires or driver ability?

Don't get me wrong, a new car has its advantages, and the R&D put behind is worth the buy, but..... maybe its the perceived notion of being faster.

:| just curious.
i think the 0.2 a lap quicker is due to the psycological effect of having a new car
Old 02-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stephen hilton
i think the 0.2 a lap quicker is due to the psycological effect of having a new car
"Nascar - Car of Tommorow" oh wait sorry.. off topic.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John_S
i just like building kits :P
I've been known to buy a kit just to have something to build. As is the case with this brand new 1/18th Scalpel that showed up on my doorstep.

I love building, getting the electronics in JUST SO...driving is just and added bonus.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

apart from my driving suffering
i actually sold my up to date BD & went & went & got a £50.00 FK04
and it is really nice to drive aswell
i do reckon i can go fast enough with this to raise a few eye brows
And the best bit
No one i know or in my area has one
i don`t follow Hype i just buy what `I` want not what every one else has

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.