Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 04:45 AM
Tech Adept

I just sent an e-mail to Novak asking if they had thought about making a sensorless BL controller, and I`ll post here what they said (although they probably won`t make one for some time)
Old 05-23-2003, 04:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Default They might....

Miniman: Please post. I know alot will be interested. I hope Novak will reconsider the decission to offer it sooner if there is a big demand.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default Assasin...

I don't get it. People say the Novask SS is too slow or something. Its the best thing to ever hit RC car market. My guess is that they have never had a Novak system. Someone watched a better driver race against someone who was driving a brushless and now they think its slow or something. Driving skill is the biggest factor. Question, how are you going to race brushless when the speedo determines the RPM range? All kinds of different brushless companies on the track? Fine with the Enduro, thats like a all open motor class. Each have a different characteristic. I like a more even playing field, so that I can find a better setup and lean to race. Why spend time tring to out tweak the other guys motor?

Novak did it right. They gave the consumer a choice between a mid/low mod motor (everyrone can say what they want, but its a 10 turn with all its torque) and a stock motor with the torque of a mod motor. Novak is the only one speedo that you can have a race class. It has a spec mode. What do you people want? Brushless is not like brushed, its better. Otherwise just pick a brushless company that fits your every desire. Me, I'm just glad to have a brushless that works, no, one that really, really, works. Your sucked into the number game. A perception of got to have bigger, stronger, and faster. Its the same perception with motorcycle owners. For truck owners thats is a different class.

Last edited by Nightbreed; 05-23-2003 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

Default Slow???

Nightbreed- Everyone that got the Novak BL from where I am and said it was faaaaast!!! Have not run mine though I am worried that my car can't handle the power and will strip the one way diff gear.

Glide 1 - Have you tried the SS on the SD yet. No gear stripping so far I might get the Cuda on my next trip to HK. Do you think it will not have the same problem as the EVO3 with a Novak SS setup?

Assasin- Can you share information about the Corally ASSASSIN. I might get this car instead of the CUDA. I was also thinking of the Kawada sv10 but when I saw that the ASSASSIN can be a rear motor and a mid motor I totally forget the Kawada. Tell me more about this car

Last edited by centax error!; 05-24-2003 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Centax Error,

I have'nt tried the Novak BL on the SD yet, I have a 12t brushed instead and it is fast. As far as stripped gears like the EVO? none yet!

Good luck with your next buy, all the kits that you mentiond are excellent, any 1 would be a good choice. Lucky you, you go to hkg regularly!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Default No...

Lucky you! you got all the time to run your cars
Old 05-31-2003, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Cleaning Motor...

Has anyone tried openning the motor for cleaning, reoiling bearings etc.? If so, can you please give as a step by step on how to do so and what to watch out for. I've had the system now for while and have run many many packs through it. I'm feeling guilty not having to do anything to the motor so was thinking of doing a maintanance check. Thanks in advance

Old 06-06-2003, 11:31 AM
The Evicerator

TTT
Old 06-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Glide- We are currently working on an update with Step by Step instructions for bearing replacement. Please check the website in a few days. But basically the whole motor would need to taken apart. But as a side note, these motors do not require nearly as much bearing maintenance, as the motors are not taken apart and blasted with motor spray every run. The motor bearings will keep dirt out fairly well on their own, if you don't spray any dirt into them the oil and grease that is inside will stay there for a long time. I've run my SS's with out ever, I mean ever, oiling the bearing. I don't run a lot but I have yet to hear any bearing issues.

Please exuse any grammer and spelling mistakes. I'm in a bit of time pinch this afternoon. If you ever have any questions regarding any Novak Product, Please ask us directly, that is what we are here for.

Thanks,
Charlie Suangka
Novak Electronics
Irvine CA
949-833-8873
Old 06-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default RCCA Evaluation

I just read a good review of the Novak Brushless Super Sport system vs a Reedy 10x2 Krypton +Novak GT7 written up by Steve Pond in July Radio Control Car Action Magazine.

A TC3 with foam tires was tested for acceleration on a fresh asphalt parking lot against the same car with the Reedy 10x2. The acceleration was measured with a radar gun system. The graphs that resulted were near identical. This is the performance advertized by Novak, I believe.

Finally an actual performance measurement of a brushless system without all the hyperinflated theoretical power outputs that I have heard reported on the Web.

The cars were then tested for runtime on the oval. There was a 12 percent improvement in runtime for the brushless. If memory serves me well the motor temp of the 10x2 was 250 F and the Brushless was 242 F. The gearing for the TC3 with the Krypton was selected from Barry Baker's Setup. The gearing for the brushless was selected to match top speed with the brush motor on an oval track. Personally I would have tried to gear the brushless to give the same motor temperature. I don't know if this is possible or if the performance would suffer as a result of being overgeared. From what I have seen from the theoretical power curves performance might have been slightly better for the brushless if geared slightly higher (another pinion tooth or slightly smaller spur).

The brushless system should provide lower maintenace cost at about a $40 higher cost for the controller motor system.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 06-15-2003 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

I also just read that article but in my understanding the writer was quoted to say that the brushless did not match the performance of the 10X2 nor should it really be expected to.

I noticed another popular RC Mag also had a test on the brushless system last month and according to their test they concluded that it had the performance of a 16 Turn!!!!!!!

The super sport is a sportsmans brushless system and from what I understand was meant to perform like a mild modified motor not anything as low as a 10 Turn. The next Novak Brushless System from what I understand is supposed to be a system more comparitive to a low turn modified such as a 9 Turn.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the brushless and hope mine performs well when it arrives next week.

The fact is that I have heard so many different performance reports on the system which range anything from being comparitive to an 8 Turn right up to a 19 Turn. I am just going to wait until I get my system and see for myself.

I will post my opinions once I have track tested it.

Steevo
Old 06-15-2003, 08:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...looking forward to your test results

STEEVO,

pls. post your test results once you get your motor up and running. We have been running the system for over 3 months now on 3 different cars (tc3, xxx-g+, yoke sd) and with very good results..... you won't be disappointed!!!

Charlie, thanks for the info. I have also checked the Novak site but did not find the step-by-step instructions, is it up already?
Old 06-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: ...looking forward to your test results

Originally posted by glide 1
STEEVO,

pls. post your test results once you get your motor up and running. We have been running the system for over 3 months now on 3 different cars (tc3, xxx-g+, yoke sd) and with very good results..... you won't be disappointed!!!

Charlie, thanks for the info. I have also checked the Novak site but did not find the step-by-step instructions, is it up already?
No Worries glide. I'll post my thoughts as soon as I have put a few sessions in with it.

Steevo
Old 06-15-2003, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: ...looking forward to your test results

Originally posted by glide 1
We have been running the system for over 3 months now on 3 different cars (tc3, xxx-g+, yoke sd) and with very good results..... you won't be disappointed!!!
Hi,

Do you have a picture on Novak brushless on XXX-S ? I am concerned over the length of the motor on XXX-S which seems to have a lack of space.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default the motor fits ok...

ongbenghui,

the motor fits perfect!!, it seems slightly longer than a brushed motor but its ok, it just clears the screw and washer that keeps the wires of your electronics down. Good luck!

How much does the Novak sell for over in Singapore?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.