Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Tbevofreak
I guess it will be a good excuse to place my first order at speedtech! But I ll be getting the spool with the plastic outdrives, BTW does a brand make aluminium or delrin diff outdrives?

Cheers!
Yeah, a company called Excel in Japan used to make the delrin outdrives for the SD, but they are in production now for the BD. They are about $25, and can be acquired by mail order overseas. Excel does not export here to the US.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Tbevofreak
Thanks pops! thats very interesting but what you call the diff ring is the metal plate that turns on the diff balls, right?

well, I ll just have to pull the diff a part and check but I don t remember overtightening the diff.....bad luck

I guess it will be a good excuse to place my first order at speedtech! But I ll be getting the spool with the plastic outdrives, BTW does a brand make aluminium or delrin diff outdrives?

Cheers!
Right, the diff rings are the metal plates that the diff balls roll on. The plastic cracked under the ridge that holds the ring in place. I have only seen this happen once in 5 years. I really see no need for buying delrin diff halfs, by the time you need to re-build the diff you can just replace the diff halfs for about $3.00 a set. But if you feel you want delrin diffs, there is really no problem with them, except the cost.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

i have the same side to side play in my sdw. i think its just the way it is shimmed, it's not a gear wobble, but the whole diff is moving, as far as the axle moving up and down, the axle is just dropping because of the clearance in the outdrive, at speed it will center itself.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

How loud is your SD? My car is the loudest on the track and I race with XXX-S, TC3,TC4, and other belt cars. I know my motor is good, but my tranny is really loud. I'm running 48p gears(which is the only pitch I would consider for my asphalt track).
Old 05-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Pro4Capece
How loud is your SD? My car is the loudest on the track and I race with XXX-S, TC3,TC4, and other belt cars. I know my motor is good, but my tranny is really loud. I'm running 48p gears(which is the only pitch I would consider for my asphalt track).
If your tranny is really loud, I bet that your bevel gear is about to go? maybe you better check that front tranny...
Old 05-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by pops
If your tranny is really loud, I bet that your bevel gear is about to go? maybe you better check that front tranny...
Mine is loud as anything at the moment Just picked up a new spur and front one-way gear for the car though, that should shut it up
Old 05-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Mine is pretty loud, im running all the "loud parts" dry bearings, 48p spurs, and tight shimming.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Tech Adept

I havent found time to check my diff bit talking about noise, do you guys run your gears dry or do you use some lube on them?

That will help the noise also good shimming is required, not too tight and not too loose

BTW, my spur gear is also moving side to side! bit I guess this is because of the gear woble thing, dont you think?

Is it the reason my spur gear is moving left to right?

Thanks for your input, its really annoying me, I m trying to get my drivetrain perfect but everything is wobling all around the place!

Last edited by Tbevofreak; 05-10-2005 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

if you over tighten the spur gear screws it will wobble,

if you over tighten the set screw in the spur gear adapter it will wobble.

i coat my tranny gears with telfon lube made for bicycle chains. it goes on wet but drys and leaves the telfon behind.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Turtlemaster
i coat my tranny gears with telfon lube made for bicycle chains. it goes on wet but drys and leaves the telfon behind.
Good old white lightning.....
Also 64 pitch will also help silence your sreaming beast. Lube and clean all bearings weekly. Make sure there is no binding and check cvd rattle and diff shimming. All these things can cause noice. The only sound that you should hear is the high pitch whine of your motor and the sound of you going fast....LOL
Just messing with you.
But do all those things and it should quite down. Oh and the issues of 48 and 64 pitch...I haven't had a problem with pebbles getting in anywhere even on those pesky asphalt tracks....
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Old 05-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Tech Adept

Chech your shims to make sure they are not bent or deformed. they will shove the gears together and make the drivetrain really loud
Old 05-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by iamramos
Chech your shims to make sure they are not bent or deformed. they will shove the gears together and make the drivetrain really loud
Noah, are you going to Rippon this Saturday?
Old 05-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Tech Adept

4 sure! you?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by iamramos
4 sure! you?
We will be there for sure.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default YOK Shock problem!

A few things I'd like to share and ask...

First I want to say how much I enjoyed biulding the SDW, such great quality materials and very good finish of the parts, the SDW is my first Yokomo kit I bought it because its the car that had the best looks and design, I was almost dreaming of it every night so I'm definetly a new yok fan now

I was reading your posts about your drivetrain making noise and I was suprised coz I never had such a quiet drivetrain maybe this is due to the open gearboxes

The only issue I had is with one Shock that didn't want to work properly, I mean the shaft wasn't poping out after pressing it, I rebuild it twice with but didn't work

Why is this hapening? The shock is still smooth but not responsing

Do I need to replace the shaft? Its not scratched BTW

Hope some will read this and help me out!

Thanks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.