Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

UTIEH. Greetings from Malta.

I am attaching a picture of my MR4 Sp here from which you can see the front end triangulation.

Parts used are:
1 pair Trinity Upper Ball Support Mount - EV0024.
1 pair Delrin Balls - EV0031.
1 pair Nylon Front Clevis - EV0052.
2 Titanium Turnbuckles.

You will need to modify the C block by machining the upper face as you can see in the photo. It's a good mod, and it costs very little, and yes it helps keep the front more rigid.

Those Trinity parts cost about 20 Euro in all. I have done this mod on a number of customer cars, not just MR4s but virtually everything.

What electrics have you on yours. I use Novak GT7 speedo and XXs receiver. Hope they will fit.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4TC SD-mr4-front-view.jpg  
Old 04-08-2003, 06:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thanks john bull!
i am using a very big speedo (novak racer) which doesn't allow me to mount the RX on the chassis, in the beginning i installed the rx (xxl FM) on the servo but i experienced a lot of glitching so now it remains on the upper plate
the servo mod seems to be very easy, actually the direction arm you need is included in the kit so you just need to change the position of the servo saver and to drill new holes for the servo, the servo links is high enough to pass up the shaft, will do this mod if i can find a Dremel.....
the other mod i added (this is not a real modification) was to add a lexan protection under the chassis, it prevent the beautiful SSG and and te lower arms from scratches.
thanks again.

Gilles
Old 04-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

utieh: using associated chassis protective film may be an easier and lighter way of protecting the SSG chassis. Thats what I plan on using. I used this stuff on my STR4-pro and the chassis looked just as good when I sold it 5 months later, as it did when I first assembled the kit.

Johnbull: So how do you plan to pull off the 90 degree rotation of the servo? I'm sure that Yokomo will include the correct servo saver attachment on the parts tree(the one thats straight instead of at 90 degree angle) to do this, but how do you plan on attaching the servo to the chassis? With servo tape and shoe goo?

I too will be using a Gt7 and a XXL. I know I can get them in somewhere on the chassis as is, but I would love to have more room to work with.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Darkseid, they provide the otherservo saver attachement in the kit
if u have a GT7 and an xxl u will have enough room to place it on the chassis, but turning the servo will be better .
Old 04-08-2003, 08:55 AM
Regional Moderator

utieh: Yeah, I figured they would include it. Even if they didn't, I still have a few laying around here from previous Yokomo kits!

My calculations (looking at the pictures and guessing ) told me that the Gt7 and XXL would fit if I put the XXL on its side. But, yes, having more room would certainly be nice.

As long as I don't have to mount the reciever up high, then I'm fine.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Utieh,

Did you test the SD on the track ?
Mine is built but I didn't put the electronic stuffs yet.

I plan to put a GT7 with XXL on the servo or Quantum with the Phaser.

Darkseid
Let's wait for a release of a SD JBsv (JohnBull Special Version) in a couple of weeks

JohnBull
No Offense, we appreciate you
Old 04-08-2003, 09:25 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Ralf
JohnBull
No Offense, we appreciate you
Ralf: Johnbull knows we're not picking on him. I've been seeing Johnbulls cars for quite a while. Ever since I saw (in a RCCA issue)his son was running a modified Schumacher at what was I believe a Worlds race or something. At the time, I had no idea what that "Johnbull Racing" sticker meant on the car!

Ever since then, I've seen Johnbull create some amazing mods to existing cars, especially Yokomos.

Thats why I metioned it, because I knew his SD was going to be the same way.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

didn't run it yet
i tried taping my xxl on the servo but i experienced a lot of glitching sinc the rx were touching the upper plate, now it is on the upper plate taped on a small sheet of lexan, it would be better to have it on the chassis (i read in the last RCCA that for this kind of receiver which have their crystal placed on the side it can be better to tape it on its side to avoid glitching .
Old 04-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hope you Guys in the US will get the SD very soon,
we'll be able to share opinions.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Regional Moderator

Ralf: believe me, us guys in the US also wish we'll get it very soon too!

utieh: It is best to mount it on its side. Not only to avoid glitching, but also to make accessing the crystal easier, and to save space.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

Default SD in US how much ?

SD how much ?

Thanks !
Old 04-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

SSG Special version should be US$ 260-290 .
Old 04-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Firstly, thanks for the compliments.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to receiving my SD, especially seeing how well it did in it's first European race. Check out LRP Masters results.

Jonas Anderson only got his car on Friday, and ended up 2nd overall on Sunday in a race which attracted a couple of World Champs, including the current one, Euro champs, Barry Baker, and the works X Rays of Gilles Groskamp, Andrew Moore, and Ralf Burch, neither of whom, despite the hype even made the A. So clearly there was plenty of competition.

The reason I'm thinking in terms of turning the servo is because I would like to try and include a fan between the motor and the GT7, as I have on the MR4. See attachment. I think, if iI keep the XXL on it's side I could manage. I managed to cram them all in on my son's TC3, and expect the SD to have about the same amount of space.

As for fitting the servo, yes it will be double sided tape and some adhesive or other, but I will try and have at least one servo post, probably the inside one. I'll be able to talk better once I get the car.

Can't wait.

In the meantime the MR4 just gets better all the time. I have been running a 10 x 1 motor recently since our Easter Cup meeting on the 19th is for mod. It seems to be as quick as the best so I'm looking forward to a good meeting.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4TC SD-mr4-sp-chassis.jpg  
Old 04-09-2003, 04:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default stupid question....

...but I don't know the answer : where are you plugging the fan ?
does adding a fan allows you to add some "T" to the pinion gear ?
thanks
Old 04-09-2003, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Hi Gilles. Greetings from Malta.

The red and black from a 6 volt fan are soldered straight onto the red and black terminals on the GT7 - in otherwords on the battery wires. It's easy on the GT7 with it's terminals exposed.

I don't disconnect from the switch but from the battery connectors so everything goes out when I pull the positive lead off the battery.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.