Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya Bodies: Non-Ferrari/NSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I'm just curious here, but why no legacy??? I dont run TCS but i've got a couple of legacy bodies on my 415 and TA05, and they look great and handle pretty well also... a style thing???
Old 11-21-2006, 02:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hi fellow Tamiya fans I have also had luck in using Subaru legacy on my ta05 its very forgiving and really helps maximize the handling characteristics of your car maybe its the big wing that gives a lot of down force
Old 11-21-2006, 02:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hi carking where can I find a photo of the soon to be released Mazda RX-7 by Tamiya thanks in advance
Old 11-21-2006, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by $$$...
I'm just curious here, but why no legacy??? I dont run TCS but i've got a couple of legacy bodies on my 415 and TA05, and they look great and handle pretty well also... a style thing???

I believe it comes down to appearance. The Legacy doesn't have the detail or scale dimensions of a traditional Tamiya body. Spectators many not be able to tell that is a Subaru Legacy without getting a good look at the headlights and grill, whereas there's no mistaking their Impreza body as it goes around the track.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Cool, that makes sense from a racer director/sponsor pos'n... maximise our exposure in this sport/hobby.

Cheers
Old 11-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's the same reason the NSX's were kept out of the list, as EVERYONE used an NSX.. Tamiya wants a bit more exposure for their bodies, not just NSX/Ferrari, although there are enough other sports cars (350Z, Skyline, GP bodies) to have a diverse crowd.. not sure why only 4-door DTMs.. there are a few bodies that nobody will want to race (or find), and once people find one body that's the best, everyone will use that one, killing the diversity thing once again.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

The legacy body was shot down because it is not as scale as the other bodies Tamiya makes.

I believe they went to 4 doors for the same reason they used to have this rule to keep the grid looking scale.

In real life it is rare to see DTM (4 door) style cars racing with JTCC (2 door) style cars. Yes I know the TT races in DTM and the STi races in JTCC but those are exeptions to the majority.

Many if not the majority of Tamiya's customers are very fond of the scale realism of there RC car kits and they want to maintain this.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Wow, I finally got a chance to see what you guys are talking about. I did not seen the part about 4 door unless "sedan" implies it.

GT2 TOURING

7. Tamiya Sedan, DTM bodies only. No NSX, Ferrari, or other sports car bodies.

This rule eliminates a lot of bodies. The sports car part of the rule is kind of iffy. The Audi TT ran in the DTM series, but is it considered a sports car?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tamiya bodies are cool
Old 11-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
once people find one body that's the best, everyone will use that one, killing the diversity thing once again.
Exactly
Old 11-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Off Topic:

Are the JTCC and JGTC the same series with a name change along the way or are they two completely different series?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

The JTCC is the regular Touring car series with mostly production sports cars (Skylines, RX-3's, M3's).

The JGTC is the "Super GT" series, it originally was a series for crazy expensive Prototype cars but it's now more regulated towards high-end sports cars.. it's still the fast of the fast, with 300 and 500HP engine classes.. Ferraris, Corvettes, Mclarens, Supras, NSX..
Old 11-21-2006, 04:05 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blewer
Wow, I finally got a chance to see what you guys are talking about. I did not seen the part about 4 door unless "sedan" implies it.

GT2 TOURING

7. Tamiya Sedan, DTM bodies only. No NSX, Ferrari, or other sports car bodies.

This rule eliminates a lot of bodies. The sports car part of the rule is kind of iffy. The Audi TT ran in the DTM series, but is it considered a sports car?
I wonder if Tamiya would do that for US Rules too. Seems like an odd rule as that is really only a few bodies. Skyline, Mercedes CLK-DTM, Audi DTM, Altezza,....I am sure there are a couple more I am not thinking of but not many it would seem. Guess I could bring out my Opel Cliff body and mount a new wing on it! Don't worry, its not quite like new anymore

Also, how does the Carerra GT bodyset handle with the optional wing? There is only one guy I see using it at the Tamiya track (i am sure MrBlack knows who I am talking about). Looking at my options for bodys.

Last edited by AWK; 11-21-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Finally I found a thread talking about the use of realistic bodies instead of racing bodyshell.

Would the use of realistic bodyshells like Toyota Altezza/ Lexus make any difference in racing performance compared to the use of common RC racing bodyshell like Stratus and Mazda 6???

Other than Tamiya, is there any other manufacturer that produce this kind of realistic/racing bodyshell???
Old 11-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Tech Addict

The 'breadloaf' shells are made strictly for efficiency with airflow, no stylized grills, divots, scoops, etc. like a real car would have that could impede performance and airflow. Also note that these cars can exceed 800 scale-MPH while real sports car bodies may only hit 200-300 in real life..

Some realistic ones aren't bad at racing, but the racing shells like the Protoform Mazda and DNA are likely more balanced in handling.

There are a couple companies out there that make realistic bodies, like HPI.. Most I've found from others are for M-chassis cars..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.