Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Bit of an update on the Flying Fox spool. I gave it a good work out on Friday night. It was my first race for a while and the first time on a new track layout, so I tested the spool by hitting the boards a few times hard. The spool still looks like brand new! I also weighed the kit spool(19grams) and Flying Fox spool(11grams) and there is a bigger difference than I thought. I will aim to make the production spools a clean 10grams. Even better is that this will be a 9 gram saving in rotating weight!

Another benifit of using the new spool is that you then have all the parts you need to make a spare diff. I also will be working on a solution to stop so much dirt getting into the diff.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
Bit of an update on the Flying Fox spool. I gave it a good work out on Friday night. It was my first race for a while and the first time on a new track layout, so I tested the spool by hitting the boards a few times hard. The spool still looks like brand new! I also weighed the kit spool(19grams) and Flying Fox spool(11grams) and there is a bigger difference than I thought. I will aim to make the production spools a clean 10grams. Even better is that this will be a 9 gram saving in rotating weight!

Another benifit of using the new spool is that you then have all the parts you need to make a spare diff. I also will be working on a solution to stop so much dirt getting into the diff.
Great work Paul!!!

Spool: maybe you can shave off a bit of weight by only using 3 screws to bolt on the pulley, instead of six.

New Idea: what about designing a new aluminum steering rack? The new rack would be tougher and can have up to 6-8 positions on it to get new ackerman and steering link lenghts and angles

Also, maybe a new CF 2.5mm top deck for asphalt racing, to allow bit more flex, with out having to unscrew the 4 screws of top deck or use o-rings in low -med bite tracks
Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Spammer needs to die ! ! !
Skinned alive and thrown into a tank of salt ! ! !
Then send back to the company ! ! !

Back to the topic.
JRX-S R is the newest Losi Model for touring cars correct ?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iPearl
Spammer needs to die ! ! !
Skinned alive and thrown into a tank of salt ! ! !
Then send back to the company ! ! !

Back to the topic.
JRX-S R is the newest Losi Model for touring cars correct ?
yes
Old 07-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Great work Paul!!!

Spool: maybe you can shave off a bit of weight by only using 3 screws to bolt on the pulley, instead of six.

New Idea: what about designing a new aluminum steering rack? The new rack would be tougher and can have up to 6-8 positions on it to get new ackerman and steering link lenghts and angles

Also, maybe a new CF 2.5mm top deck for asphalt racing, to allow bit more flex, with out having to unscrew the 4 screws of top deck or use o-rings in low -med bite tracks
From my experience a stiffer chassis is always faster when you get it hooked up. More flex costs you response and mid corner speed. When I ran a T2 I always started with it stiff too see if it worked before resorting to soft (chassis flex).
Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
From my experience a stiffer chassis is always faster when you get it hooked up. More flex costs you response and mid corner speed. When I ran a T2 I always started with it stiff too see if it worked before resorting to soft (chassis flex).
I have to agree with Dragonfire on the stiffer chassis as you want the mid corner speed. Think of chassis in formula 1 cars, they have to be as stiff as possible to get the corner speed they need. To maximize the corner speed and grip, they tinker with suspension geometry and tires.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

That's nice to imagine, Max, but look at the results of every major rubber tire touring car race. Again and again, flimsy chassis like the 416 and Cyclone beat crazy-stiff chassis like foam versions of T2 and RDX.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by adamge
That's nice to imagine, Max, but look at the results of every major rubber tire touring car race. Again and again, flimsy chassis like the 416 and Cyclone beat crazy-stiff chassis like foam versions of T2 and RDX.
Mayb it the driver?

I changed from the full plastic version of the scythe to the alloy version and picked up heaps of speed! Now I am running the losi and its way stiffer again and faster. Soft chassis just makes it easy to drive but not faster.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Schreff phrased it to me like this once when I asked about the flexible chassis, do they build flex into full scale race cars to get them to work? If you are making the chassis flex to make it handle better then your setup does not work. I know Schreff and Fairtrace messed with different chassis thicknesses and went back to the stock chassis because they felt it made no difference on this car. Can you really argue that with those two since they were sucessful in big races with it?

Last edited by Yeti35; 07-20-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yeti35
I know Schreff and Fairtraced messed with different chassis thicknesses and went back to the stock chassis because they felt it made no difference on this car. Can you really argue that with those two since they were sucessful in big races with it?
Sure you can ... hell I always argue w/ them ... never works out well for me though but i do it anyway hahahaah.

Good example, Fairtrace has been on my ass about changing my body back to a Mazda or LTC for about 6 weeks now, and about 3 weeks ago he to a quick look at my diff made a face like he just ate a lemon whole and gave it back saying (i'm paraphrasing but you get the idea) "that is a bad case of s&^%ty diff, fix it, on asphalt your diff is super important"

What did i do ... take a wild guess hahaha. Didn't change the body and didn't fix the diff (i have a wife and kids so it's a little tough to get hobby time sometimes, at least that is what i tell people anyway) so yesterday i go to a big trophy race, car is all over the dam place cant get the car to hook up AT ALL i mean terrible. All my quals are in the toilet. Before the main I changed the body, rebuilt the diff (it had a blown center bearing) and ran times that would have put me at the bottom of the B main instead of the .... ZZZ main

Take it for what it's worth .. those guys know the car and know setup they can also drive really well.

On a side note, the racing last night was crazy and makes me want to head out to an IIC or something even just to watch!! You should check out the east coast Race of Champions thread in the racing section, the A-Main driver list had winners from IIC, Snowbirds and Reedy. The Type-R was right there in the mix .
Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
Congratulations to Dragonfire for winning the ACT State Modified Title. This is one of the few carpet events in OZ and its was great to see the Type R triumph on this surface.
Congrats dude!! +1!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YmeBP
Sure you can ... hell I always argue w/ them ... never works out well for me though but i do it anyway hahahaah.

Good example, Fairtrace has been on my ass about changing my body back to a Mazda or LTC for about 6 weeks now, and about 3 weeks ago he to a quick look at my diff made a face like he just ate a lemon whole and gave it back saying (i'm paraphrasing but you get the idea) "that is a bad case of s&^%ty diff, fix it, on asphalt your diff is super important"

What did i do ... take a wild guess hahaha. Didn't change the body and didn't fix the diff (i have a wife and kids so it's a little tough to get hobby time sometimes, at least that is what i tell people anyway) so yesterday i go to a big trophy race, car is all over the dam place cant get the car to hook up AT ALL i mean terrible. All my quals are in the toilet. Before the main I changed the body, rebuilt the diff (it had a blown center bearing) and ran times that would have put me at the bottom of the B main instead of the .... ZZZ main

Take it for what it's worth .. those guys know the car and know setup they can also drive really well.

On a side note, the racing last night was crazy and makes me want to head out to an IIC or something even just to watch!! You should check out the east coast Race of Champions thread in the racing section, the A-Main driver list had winners from IIC, Snowbirds and Reedy. The Type-R was right there in the mix .

you were at Jackson last night? I thought you said you coming so I was looking for a car with that center shaft but didnt see no one, thought you didnt make it. did you pit inside or out in parking lot?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

I would love to see someone of the likes of Mark.R. have a run with this chassis. It would be scary to see how fast it can go....

Does anyone know if the original JRX-S pulleys (white) fit the type R? That delrin looks more durable.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I would love to see someone of the likes of Mark.R. have a run with this chassis. It would be scary to see how fast it can go....

Does anyone know if the original JRX-S pulleys (white) fit the type R? That delrin looks more durable.
Yes, same mold.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Yes, same mold.
I thought JRXS pullies isasme with XXX-S ?

Mike how come no Jackson for you yesterday?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.