Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So if you stiffen the whole car you get more overall traction? Or if I stiffen the rear I'll have more rear traction? Is this on low, med, or high traction? I'm just wondering, because contradicts everything I've read and heard on spring weights and traction?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Crosson
So if you stiffen the whole car you get more overall traction? Or if I stiffen the rear I'll have more rear traction? Is this on low, med, or high traction? I'm just wondering, because contradicts everything I've read and heard on spring weights and traction?
This proves again that you never listened to me.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'm a little confused also i always thought if u soften the car up u get more traction so whats the deal
Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

use heavier oil and springs when traction is high
use thinner oil and softer springs when traction is low

its all about how your car "rolls" into the corners. you want more roll when traction is low, which is why you soften the suspension.

you want less roll when traction is high, so you stiffen the suspension.

(this is how I understand it anyway)

i suggest everyone read XXXMain's book on how to set-up a touring car. It will be the best $20 you ever spent!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cory B
use heavier oil and springs when traction is high
use thinner oil and softer springs when traction is low

its all about how your car "rolls" into the corners. you want more roll when traction is low, which is why you soften the suspension.

you want less roll when traction is high, so you stiffen the suspension.

(this is how I understand it anyway)

i suggest everyone read XXXMain's book on how to set-up a touring car. It will be the best $20 you ever spent!
that's what i thought but other people are saying it backwards
Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Taking a stab at it here. The Losi car is different than most touring cars as all the weight is distributed evenly and all down the center of the car. As you stiffen up the car it allows for the weight to be utilized in a more efficient way than a car that needs to roll. The balance between soft and stiff is finite but I think Mike is right and as Jason posted a few months back the stiffer you can get the car the better. Weight transfer is a totally different theory which is defined by springs, shock oil and bars. There is the finite line. Just because the car "rolls" doesn't mean you'll have traction. And just because the car is stiff doesn't mean the setup will be loose.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The rear end of this car rolls a good bit. If you run too soft of a spring the rear end will roll way more than the front end casuing the car to feel loose and unbalanced. thats why I never run anything under a 15lb spring on the rear end.

Also with the car a little stiffer it will push the tire into the racing surface rather than be abosorbed by the suspension. And as Mojo said this is a very fine line.

With a few small changes I can get my car to push or spin out on asphalt. Rear springs being one of these changes.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
The rear end of this car rolls a good bit. If you run too soft of a spring the rear end will roll way more than the front end casuing the car to feel loose and unbalanced. thats why I never run anything under a 15lb spring on the rear end.

Also with the car a little stiffer it will push the tire into the racing surface rather than be abosorbed by the suspension. And as Mojo said this is a very fine line.

With a few small changes I can get my car to push or spin out on asphalt. Rear springs being one of these changes.
On your reedy setup sheet you have 1.5mm in the uptravel field, is that something you use all the time or only when traction is very high?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace

ok... you guys have me all confused
i run my car in parking lot and it is usualy pretty loose. so what would you guys sugest for a front and rear spring and oil?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would start with 15 lb springs in the rear and 30 weight oil, 17.5 lbs in the front and 35 weight oil. The car might push in that case go to a softer spring in the front. If it's loose make only minor adjustments with bars or oil.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalracer2
ok... you guys have me all confused
i run my car in parking lot and it is usualy pretty loose. so what would you guys sugest for a front and rear spring and oil?
What setup do you have on the car? if you are running the kit setup with a few changes, I recommend going through either one of mike's, larry's or schref's asphalt setups and run the WHOLE setup, I have learned through much trial and error, more error that you can't take just take a few parts of it.

Like I said before I've races mike's setup on a parking lot track and the car worked very well.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeXray
What setup do you have on the car? if you are running the kit setup with a few changes, I recommend going through either one of mike's, larry's or schref's asphalt setups and run the WHOLE setup, I have learned through much trial and error, more error that you can't take just take a few parts of it.

Like I said before I've races mike's setup on a parking lot track and the car worked very well.
i have one of Tods Hodg's setups on it right now. but i do think i changed the springs
i need a setup that will work on a realy loose asphalt track
Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Abosolutley no offense to Todd at all but that setup was developed before the car was even released so its not exactly current. I tried it early on when I was running the car last year and it didnt work on any track around here.

Try one of our setups from this year and put it on Exactly and let me know how it works.

Also what tires are you running?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

I run sorex 36r's or rp 30's but most of the time it's sorex 36r's
If you could give me a link to a page where I can find a setup I would appreciate it
Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

There are a couple setups posted back on this thread. I dont have any links you just have to search.

If your track is low bite 36's will not work. And if they are new RP30s throw em away. I would try Sorex/Speedmind 32's or 28s.

I have run almost every tire known to man this summer and found Sorex's to be the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.