R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Team Losi JRXS Type-R (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/125537-team-losi-jrxs-type-r.html)

Gwoodrc 03-21-2010 01:02 PM

Camber?

We were playing with different cars on the setup board last night and noticed that the losi has lots of camber gain through the suspension travel, I see that most peoples setups have equal camber front and rear. Would it gain any steering by reducing some camber on the front from 2 to 1.5 so that more of the tire would be in contact with the carpet in the turns? Running rubber tire, 17.5. Thanks, Greg.

Pablo Diablo 03-21-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gwoodrc (Post 7165792)
We were playing with different cars on the setup board last night and noticed that the losi has lots of camber gain through the suspension travel, I see that most peoples setups have equal camber front and rear. Would it gain any steering by reducing some camber on the front from 2 to 1.5 so that more of the tire would be in contact with the carpet in the turns? Running rubber tire, 17.5. Thanks, Greg.

Camber gain depends on setup. You can have lots or nearly none depending on the angle and length of your top links. Running a standard front top link will always give a lot of gain.

I like to run a lot of gain and very little static camber, sometime as low as only 3/4 degree neg camber. This works well for me on med/high bit asphalt. It also is the only way to get good even tyre wear.

MaxRain 03-22-2010 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo (Post 7166791)
Camber gain depends on setup. You can have lots or nearly none depending on the angle and length of your top links. Running a standard front top link will always give a lot of gain.

I like to run a lot of gain and very little static camber, sometime as low as only 3/4 degree neg camber. This works well for me on med/high bit asphalt. It also is the only way to get good even tyre wear.

I am in the same boat as Pablo, I run around 1 degree of static camber in the front and almost none in the rear. The result is even tire wear, and jaco blue's last a long time!! Also, download the roll centre calculator, set your static roll centre so that it sits right above ground. If you have to adjust ride height, do it. You will notice that the car responds well.

Good luck

Radron 03-23-2010 07:51 PM

If anyones looking, I have a very nice,very FAST rubber set-up,RACE READY. Just add TX & RX......

I have some Dr. bills to pay,so she sadly has to go.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ml#post7150891

miket3 03-25-2010 06:42 PM

Tire compound for rubber

Which tire compound do you prefer for rubber carpet.

would you use a different compound for a high bite/ vs a low bite track ?

Is there any certain compound you wouldn't use and why ?

Mike

Dragonfire 03-26-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by MaxRain (Post 7172506)
I am in the same boat as Pablo, I run around 1 degree of static camber in the front and almost none in the rear. The result is even tire wear, and jaco blue's last a long time!! Also, download the roll centre calculator, set your static roll centre so that it sits right above ground. If you have to adjust ride height, do it. You will notice that the car responds well.

Good luck

LOL I regularly run as low as 1/2 a degree front and back with short links! Maybe I should try zero? I'm not sure what my camber gain is but there is almost always a decent amount in my setups no matter what the chassis. It just seems to work with the tires much better with more gain than less.

vabroom 03-26-2010 10:59 AM

Dragonfire, I think it was you that use Xray c hubs. If it was, can you list what parts you used and what modifications you did. Thanks in advance.

crabboy 03-26-2010 05:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

I have only been running my Losi for about 2 months after running Tamiya and Corally and all i can say is WOW, this car is really good.
I ran it at a trophy meet last weekend and ended up second behind a factory Yokomo driver, so i was stoked with that, the car has so much grip and is so easy to drive only wished i had tried it 3 years ago;).
Thanks to Troy (Dragonfire) for all his help with the car.
I have attached some photos of my car as it came of the track, i like seeing other peoples Losi's so heres mine.

Rhys

bjames 03-27-2010 06:31 PM

Hey fellas, I have a new in box type r on the for sale thread for $275 shipped if anyone is interested.

jrxs-r 03-28-2010 04:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all....

Had a pretty good run with my R today on low/med grip asphalt on rubber tyres. Set track record for fastest lap, and that run was on 4 run old tyres too! Combine that with testing the new SXX Stock Spec and some traffic, I reckon I can get that another few tenths of a second faster! As usual...I was the only Losi or rather, non XRay in a field full of them things (T2 009 and T3).

Here's my setup.

j.d.roost 03-29-2010 08:39 AM

Ran my jrx-r for the 1st time at Horsham this weekend.
Do to the lack of vta cars I had to run with the 17.5 cars (with my little 21.5).
So I popped on my trash picked Jaco blues,borrowed an old body (thanks Sharpe) and went touring car racing
for the night.:)
Car was HOOKED up (finished 3rd). I was having a few traction rolling problems (yet the back of the car was loose?) but moving out the front shocks on the tower worked like a champ (car was still a bit loose though).
It was briefly explained to me why moving the front ackerman (front tie rods) out to the outer holes in the bell cranks would also have helped but I forgot why. Can someone tell me what this setting does to the jrx chassis?

Dragonfire 03-29-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by j.d.roost (Post 7201216)
Ran my jrx-r for the 1st time at Horsham this weekend.
Do to the lack of vta cars I had to run with the 17.5 cars (with my little 21.5).
So I popped on my trash picked Jaco blues,borrowed an old body (thanks Sharpe) and went touring car racing
for the night.:)
Car was HOOKED up (finished 3rd). I was having a few traction rolling problems (yet the back of the car was loose?) but moving out the front shocks on the tower worked like a champ (car was still a bit loose though).
It was briefly explained to me why moving the front ackerman (front tie rods) out to the outer holes in the bell cranks would also have helped but I forgot why. Can someone tell me what this setting does to the jrx chassis?

Generally moving them outside decreases ackerman. I find the standard setting generally the best everywhere. If I change anything I reduce it on the link bar for even more steering.

jimmy611 03-30-2010 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by crabboy (Post 7191085)
Hi Guys

I have only been running my Losi for about 2 months after running Tamiya and Corally and all i can say is WOW, this car is really good.
I ran it at a trophy meet last weekend and ended up second behind a factory Yokomo driver, so i was stoked with that, the car has so much grip and is so easy to drive only wished i had tried it 3 years ago;).
Thanks to Troy (Dragonfire) for all his help with the car.
I have attached some photos of my car as it came of the track, i like seeing other peoples Losi's so heres mine.

Rhys

hallo.......may i know how you put in the spur gear?

Dragonfire 03-30-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy611 (Post 7205943)
hallo.......may i know how you put in the spur gear?

Most of us run the Flying Fox RC layshaft. Talk to Pablo Diablo on here or Skyrocket batteries to get your hands on one. It allows normal spur gears AND widens the pulleys so they do not rub your lipo packs.

Kwikvdub 03-31-2010 12:59 PM

Anyone know where I can get the cooling fans that fit on top of the motor??........ Love to run the dual fans of the car pictured above.

Thanks!!:nod:

miket3 03-31-2010 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by miket3 (Post 7187211)
Which tire compound do you prefer for rubber carpet.

would you use a different compound for a high bite/ vs a low bite track ?

Is there any certain compound you wouldn't use and why ?

Mike

Can you guys share what tire additive you run and track surface/ high or low traction track ?

BennyBagems 03-31-2010 08:26 PM

I recently bought a JRX-S Type R from a forum member on here.
I will be racing it soon, it has the front one way fitted but I am unsure as to how it will go on our asphalt track with rubber tires.
What parts do I need to use a spool or diff in the front end?
Can I buy them as a pack or do I need to get each part separately?

Greg Sharpe 03-31-2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kwikvdub (Post 7211925)
Anyone know where I can get the cooling fans that fit on top of the motor??........ Love to run the dual fans of the car pictured above. Thanks!!:nod:

The bulkheads are made for any 25mm fan, which I think MuchMore makes, ask Kitchen, he's got some.

Originally Posted by BennyBagems (Post 7213757)
I will be racing it soon, it has the front one way fitted but I am unsure as to how it will go on our asphalt track with rubber tires.

Go over to losi.com and download the exploded view parts list. It will show all the pieces and their part numbers. To run a spool, simply remove the diff balls and diff pulley, then install the spool pulley. Instant slipper spool! :nod:

crabboy 04-01-2010 02:18 AM

I run my car (Pics above) on asphalt and the car is AWESOME.
I to wondered if it was going to be good BUT it really is a good car, I am running the Flying Fox front spool, very well made and works a treat, i have also done the grub screw mod to the drive cups to stop them from stripping.

Originally Posted by BennyBagems (Post 7213757)

Evoracer 04-01-2010 06:26 AM

Hey All, looking to get a JRXSR and without going through this LARGE thread could anybody provide some quick links to the mods or part changes you'd suggest before I run it. I'll be racing VTA on outdoor concrete with the 25.5/Havoc Pro and 2s Lipo. I'd like to use the ball diff and spool in front as they seem to do best on our track designs. The one way is useless. I'm using the Zippy 4000 hardcase packs which are pretty small and have the banana and balance plugs on top at one end.
Already aware of the Flying Fox and PRS parts but interested more in the factory parts that probably should be upgraded or specific mods that would make it stronger or easier to work on. Thanks !!!

j.d.roost 04-01-2010 08:05 AM

Anyone know where I can get the cooling fans that fit on top of the motor??........ Love to run the dual fans of the car pictured above.

Alex,I just ordered these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Muchmore-Racing-...item335b41a5a6

Just about burnt up that 21.5 last weekend .:mad:

Kwikvdub 04-01-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe (Post 7214132)
The bulkheads are made for any 25mm fan, which I think MuchMore makes, ask Kitchen, he's got some.

Originally Posted by j.d.roost (Post 7215403)
Alex,I just ordered these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Muchmore-Racing-...item335b41a5a6

Just about burnt up that 21.5 last weekend .:mad:

Thanks for the info Guys!!.......... Just ordered 2 fans from Stormer's and some spur gears....... Getting my Type R in tip top shape and ready for outdoor action.:nod:

Greg Sharpe 04-01-2010 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Evoracer (Post 7215041)
Hey All, looking to get a JRXSR and without going through this LARGE thread could anybody provide some quick links to the mods or part changes you'd suggest before I run it. I'll be racing VTA on outdoor concrete with the 25.5/Havoc Pro and 2s Lipo. I'd like to use the ball diff and spool in front as they seem to do best on our track designs. The one way is useless. I'm using the Zippy 4000 hardcase packs which are pretty small and have the banana and balance plugs on top at one end.
Already aware of the Flying Fox and PRS parts but interested more in the factory parts that probably should be upgraded or specific mods that would make it stronger or easier to work on. Thanks !!!

This is one of the rare cars that doesn't need much of anything to make it 100% race ready. Beyond the Flyingfox layshaft, a couple McMasterCarr thrust bearing(s) for the diff(s) and maybe a set of swaybars is all I've ever needed for asphalt, carpet, TC, VTA, etc.... Great all purpose car that' inexpensive to run. :nod: But if you really want to make the car faster, you'll have to anodize all the aluminum iridescent green. :p

YmeBP 04-01-2010 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Evoracer (Post 7215041)

That is the kicker, years after the car was introduced you STILL don't need much to be competitive! I'd +1 greg, the mcmaster thrusts reduce maintenance (same for ANY touring car diff tho), and the sway bars help you slow weight xfer, other than that the only thing i'd even suggest would be stainless screws because they look nice :D and a fifth body mount becuase it keeps the body from cracking at the wheel wells better (comes in the kit install it!!). Oh and a parma hard bumper it helps save your front end.

j.d.roost 04-01-2010 01:21 PM

But if you really want to make the car faster, you'll have to anodize all the aluminum iridescent green

+1
You need to post a pic of that thing Sharpe.

Do you think I should pop on the bars for Jackson?

platypus_s13 04-01-2010 01:26 PM

hi,

found these fan setups while browsing the speedtech website:

speedtechrc.com/store/ebproduct.asp?catmainid=792

i was personally looking at the r1 wurks pro dual.

Evoracer 04-01-2010 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe (Post 7215571)
This is one of the rare cars that doesn't need much of anything to make it 100% race ready. Beyond the Flyingfox layshaft, a couple McMasterCarr thrust bearing(s) for the diff(s) and maybe a set of swaybars is all I've ever needed for asphalt, carpet, TC, VTA, etc.... Great all purpose car that' inexpensive to run. :nod: But if you really want to make the car faster, you'll have to anodize all the aluminum iridescent green. :p

Well if Greg Sharpe says the car has to be green then so be it !! Just bought one off the classifieds. So where's your source for anodising and what kind of money we talkin. Let me know by PM if you'd like. :D And yes...I'm serious. I'm gonna hold you to that "faster" comment though.:lol::lol::lol:

captain stacker 04-02-2010 07:47 AM

whats so special about the flyingfox layshaft?

steve eaves 04-02-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by captain stacker (Post 7219667)

It allows you to run bigger lipos without modding and you can run any spur

captain stacker 04-02-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by steve eaves (Post 7219752)

thanks for the quick reply

what is the biggest lipo you can fit with the standard losi set up?

And with the standard layshaft, are you only restricted in using losi spurs?

Greg Sharpe 04-02-2010 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by captain stacker (Post 7219818)
thanks for the quick reply

what is the biggest lipo you can fit with the standard losi set up?

And with the standard layshaft, are you only restricted in using losi spurs?

Not sure what the absolute biggest Lipo is, but I ran the TP 5000mAh 40C with 1mm spacers inside the pulleys on the stock layshaft until I got the FlyingFox layshaft.

The stock layshaft and right side pulley only accept Losi spurs (which are great IMO), but you can add a PRS spur gear adaptor to run any other spur. But quite frankly, the FlyingFox layshaft is just plain better because on top of allowing you to run any spur and fit bigger lipos, it's built in pulley also runs a bit more true.

Greg Sharpe 04-02-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by j.d.roost (Post 7216590)
But if you really want to make the car faster, you'll have to anodize all the aluminum iridescent green
+1
You need to post a pic of that thing Sharpe.
Do you think I should pop on the bars for Jackson?

If I remember correctly, Fairtree and the Schreffinator would run a front swaybar at Jackson, and I always had good results with just a front bar as well (although that was mostly in VTA).

Notice the multi-colored shocks. Re-anodizing parts changes their dimensions ever so slightly, and my all green shock setup wouldn't stay threaded together. :mad:
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/IMG_0719.jpg

j.d.roost 04-02-2010 10:29 AM

Looks even better in person!
Sweeeet.:nod:

Why are you showing everyone your super secret/super fast 2wd setup?

Evoracer 04-02-2010 11:05 AM

Greg, thanks for the PM. The green looks great !!! I do actually have a legitimate reason for interest in that color.
Although if it makes you feel better I can tell everybody that you said it would make me faster !!:lol:

YmeBP 04-02-2010 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by captain stacker (Post 7219667)

Originally Posted by steve eaves (Post 7219752)

Takes a good bit of slop out of that part of the car too. If you run mod you can use more than 2 screws to prevent your spur from flexing under load.

Fastredrover 04-03-2010 05:38 PM

17.5,10.5 gearing?

Hi there.
Can you guys give me a few examples of the spur/pinion combinations
you are using for 17.5 & 10.5. The motors is a LRP X12.
I have PRS adaptors & flying fox shafts are on the way so any spur is possible.

Gwoodrc 04-03-2010 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fastredrover (Post 7225014)
Hi there.
Can you guys give me a few examples of the spur/pinion combinations
you are using for 17.5 & 10.5. The motors is a LRP X12.
I have PRS adaptors & flying fox shafts are on the way so any spur is possible.

Assuming your running a tekin, I run a 125/31 17.5 X12 on a 75x35 carpet track. Works good with 160f temps.

BennyBagems 04-04-2010 05:04 PM

I ordered the Flying Fox lay shaft and spool yesterday, no stock on the spool though so I will have to wait a while before I can test them out.
Does anyone know if the intellect IP 5000mah 40c packs with the corally plugs fit the JRX-S Type R?
I have a feeling they might be a tad wide for the steel lipo tray and a bit tall to fit under the bulkhead?
What would be some good packs to run with a 10.5t? Without spending too much on batteries.
I have plenty of various hard case lipos but they are all too tall.

Yokomo_Ant3 04-04-2010 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by BennyBagems (Post 7228743)
I ordered the Flying Fox lay shaft and spool yesterday, no stock on the spool though so I will have to wait a while before I can test them out.
Does anyone know if the intellect IP 5000mah 40c packs with the corally plugs fit the JRX-S Type R?
I have a feeling they might be a tad wide for the steel lipo tray and a bit tall to fit under the bulkhead?
What would be some good packs to run with a 10.5t? Without spending too much on batteries.
I have plenty of various hard case lipos but they are all too tall.

My friend uses the IP 5000 40c batteries. I think he grinded (sanded down) the back 4 humps off and they fit. He is using Flying fox layshaft. I dont think you can use the standard as it hits on the battery. Im not sure what tray he was using but i dont think it was a steel one. But i could be wrong....:sweat:

RKeasler 04-04-2010 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 (Post 7228899)
My friend uses the IP 5000 40c batteries. I think he grinded (sanded down) the back 4 humps off and they fit. He is using Flying fox layshaft. I dont think you can use the standard as it hits on the battery. Im not sure what tray he was using but i dont think it was a steel one. But i could be wrong....:sweat:

When I had mine I used the plastic lipo tray and ground down the back humps fit perfectly. With the Flying Fox layshaft.

Rod