Why are so many leaving the hobby?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are so many leaving the hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=ffiB]If by chance a couple of old buds that hasent seen eachother for years hook up.

Sounds like a movie my wife was telling me about:

Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default look

someone A guy who actually watched that movie....

someone a member of that forum....hahaha...
Old 06-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've been in and out of this hobby more times than Lana has re-enacted Brokeback Mountain. For me it was mostly an issue of time. It takes a LOT of time to remain competitive. If racing was Sunday, then you spent Saturday prepping motors, tires, shocks, etc.

My solution to that was to just race once or twice a month. But then you realize "hey, I have several thousand dollars wrapped up in equipment, and I'm only using it once a month???". If I cut back my time investment, then I felt even worse about my monetary investment.

I'm giving it another shot by making a few changes to my approach to the hobby, but there are a number of factors that stand in people's way. For one guy it's money. For another guy it's time. For someone else it's the fact that no one at his local track (or hobby shop, for that matter) is approachable.

I don't claim to have the solution, but these are some of the common problems people are facing.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jason B
Yeah! George Bush hates R/C racers!

Give me a break .
Is that what I said?? NO! Clean your glasses and read what was posted!!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lana
Is that what I said?? NO! Clean your glasses and read what was posted!!
It's called "sarcasm with a twist of exaggeration".

Perhaps one way to attact people to the hobby is to make sure they don't interact with you.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Jason, the only reason it takes you so long is because you suck. LOL...seriously though I think it's well established that EVERY addiction has 3 major drawbacks:

1. Money
2. Time
3. Ease or lack there of of access to the addiction

Insert any addiction in the equation and these three will get in the way...examples...

Lana - Anal
- Money...it's expensive to pay for whores
- Time...it takes time to find whores
- Access...it is difficult to find people who will do anal

FFIB and santinuchi - same situation
- Money...it's expensive to travel close to each other
- Time...it takes a lot of time to be close to each other
- Access...they don't live near each other so cuddling is difficult.

Jason B...aw nevermind.

*** Disclaimer in case anyone doesn't get it. I am totally full of $hit ***
Old 06-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

I've been in and out of this hobby more times than Lana has re-enacted Brokeback Mountain.
Hey Jason,

Check your PM, just got in town and was going to be at crcrc. See you there!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
snip
LOL now I'm spitting coke on the monitor...
Tech Adept

It's called "sarcasm with a twist of exaggeration".

Perhaps one way to attact people to the hobby is to make sure they don't interact with you.

Sorry some people are hard to read. Anywho I'll stop over to the track.
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lana
Hey Jason,

Check your PM, just got in town and was going to be at crcrc. See you there!
PM box is empty...

It's "Jason B"
Old 06-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Being a newbie to this, I had mentioned in a previous thread, that yes there are a number of things that made me get back in the hobby after being away for 15 years.. One was the joy of competition.. But once I started picking up all the equipment (which gave me sticker shock at first!) I started to see that this has become very technical compared to what it was long ago.. However there has been one thing that has made me think twice about it all.. That being the attitude of people at the lhs. The closest shop to me when I started back treated me like why are you wasting our time, and this came from some of their younger people that work there. However, they have one guy there that has been real helpful.. I have had to drive 30 mins to 1 hour away to get great service. The track I race at regularly has been great. The guys there are what made me realize that the lhs is a small drop in the bucket. All the guys at the track have been more than helpful. I was intimidated at first to ask questions or ask for help, but as many of the guys at the track saw I was having problems, they would come up and check out my car and recommend changes. A couple of them would even offer to try to drive the car and then recommend changes based on what they felt from the car itself. However, my car is not "dialed" but in the last 4 months, I have learned more about racing than I would have thought possible. Every day at the track is a new learning experience. Sometimes, guys tend to forget the hobby is just for fun and most aren't going to make a career out of of it.. The pro drivers tend to be the most helpful, but even a large number of club drivers at my local track are just as helpful and knowledgable. When they forget many do this just for fun is when they realize they aren't enjoying it any longer.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

As stated above all reasons plus people move on to new hobbies believe it or not I was kinda of in and out of this hobby and gaming not racing just bashing. The biggest reason for me atleast was time, money is not an issue if you spend it wisley and take care of your stuff. I think I'll probably stay in the hobby for another two years or so while I attend JC but once I go to San Jose State I don't even see how I can stay in the hobby there would be no time at all, lol. Maybe I'll get back into it when I get older and have more time and money but the learning curve on this hobby is a little to steep for your average joe imo
Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I was lucky enough to find a really good mentor when I started racing nitro on-road. Kevin pretty much taught me everything I needed to know. That plus the other odds and ends I learned from a few others, has made me somewhat competitive. I am very thankful for those guys, it has made the hobby much more enjoyable.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I would agree that the flow of people in and out of the hobby is steady, at least in my area. Each year I always see new racers, but also don't see racers returning from the previous season for one reason or another.

One thing I see at the track that scares away potential new racers is the "ego" that some people have when asked about their equipment. "It's about $1500" is not the way to get people interested in this hobby. "$300 for a RTR and you can be racing today," will definitely get more people interested that happen to stop by the local track to watch. Then explain how you go from the RTR to the "whole race package".

My $.02
Old 06-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by FTNTC3
One thing I see at the track that scares away potential new racers is the "ego" that some people have when asked about their equipment. "It's about $1500" is not the way to get people interested in this hobby. "$300 for a RTR and you can be racing today," will definitely get more people interested that happen to stop by the local track to watch. Then explain how you go from the RTR to the "whole race package".

My $.02
I couldn't agree more. In fact, I avoid at all costs telling people the money I've spent. Not only is it a turn-off to newbies, it's a little embarrassing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.