Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are so many leaving the hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default Why are so many leaving the hobby?

Hi all,
Am I seeing a trend, it appears a lot of people are leaving the hobby as I've been observing the Sale thread. Is this due to slow season or are there other reasons.

Not trying to start any flames or arguments just trying to see what's going on.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

A lot of it just seems to be money and time from what I can tell. People having children, etc. I see a lot of people joining the hobby as well. I think we would have a lot more if it didnt cost so much to get into. We get tons of people at our track interesting about it and then we tell them how much it costs and never see them again.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

people come and go all the time. reasons... new baby, moving house, divorce, lose job etc etc...

also big reason is a few guys just dont have the will power to stay in the hobby for more than a year. most people come into the hobyy thinking they are king shit and will dominate immediatly... but soon come to realise it takes skill, time, practice, paticence and lots of money to win any race of significance.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Alot of guys say they are selling out, when really they are just selling their used stuff to finance their new cars and equipment. As many as I see leave I see just as many new coming into it.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:18 AM
Tech Regular

Alot of it has to do with the cost. Im having more fun racing now than I ever have, and guess what? A set of 4 tires costs me $8. A stock motor costs $13.95. A new car and with radio? $120. A fully tricked our car runs about $225. The last time I bought batteries they were $5 a set from Walmart.

I love these MiniZs.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Its a combination of time and $...

those who have the time... the 12-16 year olds.... don't have $....

and those who have the $.... like your 20 something - 40 somethings year olds ... spend all their time making their $ and forefilling other obligations...

And ofcourse this hobby actually takes time...

its not like pinball where u just stick in a dollar and just press the 2 or 3 buttons avaliable on the machine.... once u are done... just leave...

for me though... a real rc car moving on a track in reality, will beat whatever's on a 2-d screen any sunny day... but i guess opinions differ
Old 06-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olhipster1
Hi all,
Am I seeing a trend, it appears a lot of people are leaving the hobby as I've been observing the Sale thread. Is this due to slow season or are there other reasons.

Not trying to start any flames or arguments just trying to see what's going on.
It is the ebb and flow of any hobby, sport or activity. Someday, RC racing will market itself correctly and we may be complaining that to many new people are coming into the sport.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Tech Champion

For several years the participation in racing has been constant (not growing). Roughly the number of people getting our of the hobby are offset by people getting into the hobby.

All of the reasons for beople getting out listed below are true (Baby, new house, college, marriage, job change, etc.).

Racing costs are not an issue. A few things like tires and batteries have actually gotten less expensive in the last few years.

There are others areas in R/C that are drawaing racers away...R/C Planes and Helis are easier than ever to get into and it hard to do it all.

RTR cars have also hurt racing in that no one knows how to work on thier cars anymore. It used to be you HAD TO build kits. Now its all RTR and guys are scared to build kits. They couls care less as to HOW things work. If they do get a sedan these guys get frustrated and leave racing eventually.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM

RTR cars have also hurt racing in that no one knows how to work on thier cars anymore. It used to be you HAD TO build kits. Now its all RTR and guys are scared to build kits. They couls care less as to HOW things work. If they do get a sedan these guys get frustrated and leave racing eventually.
So true!!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Racing costs are not an issue. A few things like tires and batteries have actually gotten less expensive in the last few years.
What do you mean by this? You dont think the cost of the hobby keeps several people from entering it or the escalating costs of being competitive dont drive people away?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

One thing funny about this hobby...

The local guys are arrogant and stingy with their set-ups; however, the pros will sit down with you.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Tech Adept

Here's the deal:

This hobby is a lot like drugs, very addicting. And the MFG's know this, put out a new TC get everyone to bite on it and wham bam change the f'n thing 2 months later, then the same people are left spending more money on this plastic rc dope.

So I'd say the first reason being the expense.

Second reason is:

Kids that get into this and grow up and get a stab at some girls and get hooked on the pink. Then the RC crap goes to buy rings, condoms etc etc.

Third reason:

Us older guys get threatened to be divorced by our better half, some say FU leave me and others say, hey you know there is more to life than playing with these little carbon fiber / plastic hopped up toys and sell the crap and take the family to Disney.

You guys need to step back and really think about how invovled you get into this and can't imagine life with-out RC racing and you my friend are the ate up fool that will loose everything. The smart ones will throw in the towel or just take it lightly.

My fingers hurt, audi!!

LA
Old 06-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Oh yea forgot the 4th reason:

Since we have a worthless POS running our GREAT US of A no one can afford to put gas in their cars. So how can you race 2hrs away when you can't afford to fill up the tank??? Thanks GW!!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know I am the minority here, but I disagree with this. RTRs have brought alot of people into the hobby. The RTR guys that get frustrated and leave would have never made it past the workbench when building there new kits I have seen tons of guys who bought into RTRs (Losi XXS, prime example) because they were affordable and slowly moved onto being proficient w/ building/tuning RC cars. I think if there were no RTRs nowadays, the STEEP learning curve for manybeginners would SURELY drive away more people.....not good

RC stuff is still expensive though, no matter how you cut it. As far as the cost of tires and batteries being less, you are right, but with the level of competition nowadays (even at the club level) a new set of tires or two every week and the newest battery every few weeks can get VERY expensive. Do you really need the latest and greatest? Not really, but if competition is close and you need to keep up with the hardcore Jonse's, spending gets old fast.

One thing I have also noticed, attitudes in hobby shops. This is by NO MEANS meant as a shot to anyone, but I have seen some pretty crappy attitudes from employees and racers alike. Sure, everyone has a bad day but bad attitudes should be nipped in the bud, IMMEDIATELY. I understand that there aren't many racers and owners need to grab all they can but one bad apple can really put a damper on the fun for the new guys. Again, I am not saying that this is commonplace but I have seen it plenty of times. RC racing is so small that one or two bad attitudes can have a profound effect.

One last thing...ALWAYS help someone out. Have patience, even if they are asking (in your eyes) stupid questions. Sometimes that guy that seems to not want to learn or do anything to his/her car is just nervous to mess something up or feels like they are incompetant. If they ask YOU to do something, nicely give them the tools and walk them through it. Consider it an investment in your RC racing future.

Just my opinion, thank for reading
Old 06-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The cost and complexity just isn't for everyone. I just joined a club and have started RC racing and I'm in my 40's. I was interested in it 20 years ago but didn't have the time and money. I have no real basis to say this, but it appears to be a thriving hobby as we have several hobby stores in our City that are predominantly RC cars.

Want more people into the hobby? Promote a lower cost class of racing. I'm not even sure if that is possible as some will spend big money to polish a turd, so to speak. On the other hand, what does it matter, as long as you have a club you enjoy with enough members to race, and manufacturors who make the products you want. I doubt the hobby is dying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.