Wiki Posts
Search

Why are so many leaving the hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ffiB
Your in Ohio?

No, our world really never has been that big. Its like a small planet that to be treated gently. It cant be abused. But you have been around for a long time and you have seen what I have seen in the RC world. Especially in the Houston area. The 4th largest city in the US and we have less than 200 racers. And thats a liberal number. The biggest thing going on right now is 1/8th scale nitro, and MiniZs. Practically no electric offroad or onroad.

There was a time when I saw 120 entries at a local track when I first started racing in 94. Due to some of the reasons people have pointed out, the track died out. Luckily, Performance raceway opened and lasted quit awhile. But it eventually died also.
Yeah i'm in ohio w/ my family right now, racing carpet pretty big time now, it is a shame how thing have shrunk down, it has served as so much fum a just awesome competition, i talked to Christian and he said he's racing mini z's who else is?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ffiB
Your in Ohio?

No, our world really never has been that big. Its like a small planet that to be treated gently. It cant be abused. But you have been around for a long time and you have seen what I have seen in the RC world. Especially in the Houston area. The 4th largest city in the US and we have less than 200 racers. And thats a liberal number. The biggest thing going on right now is 1/8th scale nitro, and MiniZs. Practically no electric offroad or onroad.

There was a time when I saw 120 entries at a local track when I first started racing in 94. Due to some of the reasons people have pointed out, the track died out. Luckily, Performance raceway opened and lasted quit awhile. But it eventually died also.
oops
Old 06-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
What do you mean by this? You dont think the cost of the hobby keeps several people from entering it or the escalating costs of being competitive dont drive people away?
What I mean is that the cost of racing has not changed in years. In fact if you take in to account increases in inflation the basic needed to race are less expensive today than they were 10 years ago.

Only the latest generation of sedans have gone up in price....sort of.

Sedan kits used to be more basic and guys would spend $200 to hop them up to be like the Pro drivers cars. Then came the "Team" kits which were sort of like pro cars but not exactly. The latest cars like the Cyclone, Mi2EC, 415MSX, T2, and RDX are full punch replicas of team cars and they carry bigger price tags. But...they cost less than hopping up a base level car so in the end they are actually less expensive than before.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by santinuchi
Yeah i'm in ohio w/ my family right now, racing carpet pretty big time now, it is a shame how thing have shrunk down, it has served as so much fum a just awesome competition, i talked to Christian and he said he's racing mini z's who else is?
Come on man, this is how threads get blown up with BS, PM the dude!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default what?

Originally Posted by Lana
Come on man, this is how threads get blown up with BS, PM the dude!!!
there's plenty of business on here for you to find some of your own, why dont you?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think people need to stop thinking about what "someone else" can do to help racing and get toghter with other like minded racers and make something happen. I think what we need more than anything is for racers to organize locally and form clubs to push for racing facilities and in their area, get the word out to the shops and get new people to see the racing happening.

Right now hobby shop run most race programs in parking lots. One or two guys setup the track, run the races and tear down the track. When these guys get fed up due to lack of help the racing dies.

Clubs need to work hand in hand with shops to help maintain the tracks and run the race programs.

I belong to an R/C plane club. We have 300 members and $100K in the club account. We got our flying field by lobbying our State water management department. We now have a 30 year lease on 600 acres of conservation land for $1 per year.

There is no reason why a group of racers anywhere couldn't do the same thing.

There are guys all over that have taken the time to talk to city governments, gone to dozens of comitee meetings and have gotten them to pave tracks, build off road tracks or make parking lots available. It take a long time to get this done but it is possible with a moderate effort.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

there's plenty of business on here for you to find some of your own, why dont you?

Really, though... take the personal chit-chat to PMs or e-mail.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I think people need to stop thinking about what "someone else" can do to help racing and get toghter with other like minded racers and make something happen. I think what we need more than anything is for racers to organize locally and form clubs to push for racing facilities and in their area, get the word out to the shops and get new people to see the racing happening.

There is no reason why a group of racers anywhere couldn't do the same thing.

There are guys all over that have taken the time to talk to city governments, gone to dozens of comitee meetings and have gotten them to pave tracks, build off road tracks or make parking lots available. It take a long time to get this done but it is possible with a moderate effort.
This is the key message that needs to get out. This is the reason there is the NFL, NASCAR, NBA, MLB etc. they are started from "clubs" that formed leagues and it grew from there. Sure they are the extreme example but they are still proof that anything can happen if people stop complaining and start doing something about it.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

Hey sh!tstain, this is a public forum not a singles thread for you and your old partner to catch up....BACK OFF AND GET BACK TO SUBJECT!!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default my 2 cents.

It all start with the newbie, when that new guys come the track for the first time I as i do you should treat them as if they were your own newborns take the time and help them out , most of the time they want to ask questions but are afraid to ask becuase they presume that we're too busy at the moment, taking them under ours wings will go a long way
Old 06-07-2006, 10:43 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Racing costs are about the same but I think everything else is going up so much people don't have as much disposable cash to do hobbies like they use to. If everything goes up like gas, food and misc expenses at your house it is alot harder to have extra cash for fun things when many are just making ends meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My racing expense only goes up if I buy more stuff than normal but all my other bills have gone up a ton in 10 years, especially like my heating bill, property taxes and other municpial taxes for are area.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Hey sh!tstain, this is a public forum not a singles thread for you and your old partner to catch up....BACK OFF AND GET BACK TO SUBJECT!!

This is why racing is losing racers. Like I said before, we race for fun and comradery. If by chance a couple of old buds that hasent seen eachother for years hook up, were gonna BS.

Name calling is uncalled for.

BTW. We ARE on the subject.

Step aside!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default ???

i was glad to have started this thread.....just because i wanted to know if it was real that people were being lost...
i have to agree...it's all about racers having fun..and getting along...Let's keep it that ...

I stated in the first post...no flaming or arguments...why do most of the threads on here always have to have a few people just out of control..
for the people..(and always the same people) Do you realize there are kids on these forums also......So some advice....Grow up and keep it clean...You can get your point accross with all the uncalled static.

Notice I didn't use one colorful word in this and still got my point accross...
gotta go...
Old 06-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Oh yea forgot the 4th reason:

Since we have a worthless POS running our GREAT US of A no one can afford to put gas in their cars. So how can you race 2hrs away when you can't afford to fill up the tank??? Thanks GW!!
Yeah! George Bush hates R/C racers!

Give me a break .
Old 06-07-2006, 11:18 AM
X2
Tech Regular

Oh yea forgot the 4th reason:

Since we have a worthless POS running our GREAT US of A no one can afford to put gas in their cars. So how can you race 2hrs away when you can't afford to fill up the tank??? Thanks GW!!
Honestly, you complain about your fuel prices but in the UK prices are up and over £1 a litre (about 1.86USD)

You're fuel prices seem very attractive to me indeed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.