Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree100Likes

Tamiya MB-01

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

This takes a 29t pinion, so I’m wondering what’s the fdr. The M07/M08 maxed out at 25?
Old 08-16-2023, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
This takes a 29t pinion, so I’m wondering what’s the fdr. The M07/M08 maxed out at 25?
5.83. Bottom left corner of page 23 has the gearing table.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gigaplex
5.83. Bottom left corner of page 23 has the gearing table.
Thanks. Was looking for it kept missing it.

Internal ratio is 2.6, like the TT02 and XV01/XV02.

M07/M08 are 24t @ 4.813
M05/M06 are 20t @ 5.80

So at Max pinion of 29 the FDR is 5.83 it’s slightly slower than an M05/06 🤔
Old 08-16-2023, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Raman
Thanks. Was looking for it kept missing it.

Internal ratio is 2.6, like the TT02 and XV01/XV02.

M07/M08 are 24t @ 4.813
M05/M06 are 20t @ 5.80

So at Max pinion of 29 the FDR is 5.83 it’s slightly slower than an M05/06 🤔
0.03 will be negligible. The bigger issue is the weight distribution looks awful. The battery seems to sit pretty high in the chassis, and the weight seems pretty far back in the FWD configuration.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

0.03 will be negligible. The bigger issue is the weight distribution looks awful. The battery seems to sit pretty high in the chassis, and the weight seems pretty far back in the FWD configuration.
Tamiya cars are built for very low traction. The high CG is an advantage in that case. Or at minimum "not a disadvantage".

Honestly, the "expected" traction levels of american tracks is... not a good thing.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Tamiya could use this for a novice mini class. Now that mini is 24t pinion, it is definitely not beginner friendly with a 21.5
Old 08-17-2023, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Tamiya cars are built for very low traction. The high CG is an advantage in that case. Or at minimum "not a disadvantage".

Honestly, the "expected" traction levels of american tracks is... not a good thing.
I'm not convinced. My M05 was very prone to traction rolling in low grip (dirty outdoor asphalt) conditions. This will likely only be worse. For the record I've never raced on an American track.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

I'm sure I said the same thing when it was released. This is just a cheap way for Tamiya to put a nice body on the shelves, and let it move under it's own power.

I have no expectations that this will be a performer, I doubt it would even be a match for an M-03/5/6 (I have no experience of the 01/2/4). Weight and motor placement is all wrong.

But this is what Tamiya seem to be focused on these days. Dirt cheap basic chassis that are one step beyond a body mount. Weird mid-range chassis that are worse than anything they made in the 00s. And top-end chassis that are several years out of date on the rare occasions they bother to release one.

I'm sure there is a market for them somewhere in the world but it isn't here in the UK. All that Tamiya sell in decent quantities are the re-releases of the 80s off-roaders. And that bubble may have burst based on the big discounts available.

Their RC lineup is a shadow of what it was.
DirkW and gigaplex like this.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Look, if it's easier to work on than the M05, even if it doesn't perform as well, it's a win in my book. AT MINIMUM, the symmetrical suspension is a benefit. Especially for the new driver crowd.

.. I'd love to do some head to head stuff with the MB01 versus the M05 and M06.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Look, if it's easier to work on than the M05, even if it doesn't perform as well, it's a win in my book. AT MINIMUM, the symmetrical suspension is a benefit. Especially for the new driver crowd.

.. I'd love to do some head to head stuff with the MB01 versus the M05 and M06.
I'm not sure how the suspension is a benefit. They're not interchangeable left/right if you go by the parts sprue numbers M1 and M8. They're only interchangeable FL/RR<->FR/RL, so you still need 2 matching pairs. On the M05 (v2) you also had 2 matching pairs.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure how the suspension is a benefit. They're not interchangeable left/right if you go by the parts sprue numbers M1 and M8. They're only interchangeable FL/RR<->FR/RL, so you still need 2 matching pairs. On the M05 (v2) you also had 2 matching pairs.
I checked. The upper suspension arms are part M2. At all four corners. The knuckles are A1 and A9. The lower arms look like they're only differentiated by the steering overtravel blocks. Something tells me, if you're not bashing the steering stop.. the lower arms can be swapped. The choice of ball mount knuckle is good for the noob too. It's still better than something like my TA07, where essentially all the parts are unique.

Also the parts compatibility with the TT series is good. I mean, hitting the market, and we have gear diff, ball diff, spool, and oil filled diff already in shops. It uses normal mini length shocks. And.. has droop screws! If I didn't have a M08, I'd still be looking for a good solution for my M06.

"being able to work on it without 30 screws of heck" is still a big thing here. If I never have to do the 10 screw trip to the M05 diff again it'll be to soon.
Old 08-18-2023, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

This is the video of the stock kit running in RWD on a track. it’s not bad considering it’s running the pogo sticks shocks, stock tyres and heavy abs faux engine in body.

https://youtu.be/HuyF92Iq1W4?si=R97Db0IYAx9ONInh
Old 08-21-2023, 07:19 PM
Tech Initiate

I am super excited this kit is on the market. If nothing else maybe it will help produce more bodies for the M07/08's.
Raman and angrymelon like this.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Part way through my build now. So far not impressed with the build quality, it's definitely a downgrade from the M05. First issue I've run into is the P7 suspension balls pop out of the arms way too easily, they popped out several times while trying to screw in the king pins. Second issue is the o ring in the drive shafts cause the suspension to bind badly so I had to leave them out.

The arm plastic seems very different to the rest of the kit. They feel rubbery, trying to snap them off the parts sprue just lead to bending and stretching of the flashing. That's probably to make them flex instead of break in a crash.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Part way through my build now. So far not impressed with the build quality, it's definitely a downgrade from the M05. First issue I've run into is the P7 suspension balls pop out of the arms way too easily, they popped out several times while trying to screw in the king pins. Second issue is the o ring in the drive shafts cause the suspension to bind badly so I had to leave them out.

The arm plastic seems very different to the rest of the kit. They feel rubbery, trying to snap them off the parts sprue just lead to bending and stretching of the flashing. That's probably to make them flex instead of break in a crash.
That's a bummer for sure, I haven't built mine yet but will keep an eye out. I had a similar issue with the DF03ra suspension limiting due to the foam pads called for in the instructions. Sometimes you wonder if they even built it the way they instruct themselves Hopefully the rest of your experience is a positive one!
gigaplex likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.