Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Tire ring of death

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The problem is caused by the tire flexing over toward the inside of the car in a turn where the inertia of the car is pushing out and the grip of the rubber against the surface pushing in. Because the carcass is being pushed inward, the inner sidewall flexes over and tries to pull the tire carcass up, which because the foam is stuck to the dead center of the rim and has an air gap, this draws the tire into the hard plastic bead of the wheel and puts a large amount of the weight of the car on the spot of the ring of death. Of course, running large amounts of camber or reactive camber can make it worse.

This is an exaggerated example, but imagine a hard plastic lip on the inner edge of this tire, and how hard it would push against the inner edge of the tire with the deformation.

This image shows how the tire would have to pull the carcass over and up into the rim.

Edit: After finding a picture of a tire cut in cross section, I dont think its actually the inner rim lip that causes this, I think its 80-90% that the tire portion inside of the "ring of death" gets pulled up away from the racing surface when the tire flexes over. If it gets flexed over, it wont have weight on it during cornering and hence wont wear.

I think if we had tires like this, we wouldnt have rings of death. We would have many other problems but death rings would not be one of them:

Bry195 likes this.

Last edited by DesertRat; 02-27-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Edit: After finding a picture of a tire cut in cross section, I dont think its actually the inner rim lip that causes this, I think its 80-90% that the tire portion inside of the "ring of death" gets pulled up away when the tire flexes over. If it gets flexed over, it wont have weight on it during cornering and hence wont wear.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trilerian
What causes the ring of death on on road tires? My tires would last much longer if they didn't suffer this phenomenon. And nobody I ask can seem to give me a good answer as to why it happens. What setup changes can be made to mitigate? And how many runs should you get on black carpet, with a 21.5 and jaco blues? Since I am on the subject, at what point do you toss the tires? When the ring of death is so bad it starts to rip, or when it gets to a certain threshold?

its a mixture of multiple things but we run camber so the tyre is always running on the inner edge when straight, then u have toe out so the tyre are scrubbing on the tarmac in a straight line with the inner edge at the front (and with camber also ) so there just more ware to this area I am shore there are many more settings that cause this also

Old 02-29-2020, 10:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Only cause I see is because of the shape of the sidewall.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by silentday
Only cause I see is because of the shape of the sidewall.
what do you mean? The tires I have cut apart the ring occurs to the inside of the side wall and extends a couple mm towards the center of the tire. Its extends to the center of the tire less when the tire has the internal band.

I get about .6 degrees of camber gain. The temperature is evenly distributed across the tire after a race and I always have too much grip. Ive been working out ways to get rid of this grip systematically so i can tune with it. Id like to get a two for 1 if I can. For example lose grip and the wear on the inside of the tire. My tires cone. Smaller diameter on the inside and larger on the outside. If I used camber to minimize grip Im thinking that I would get less camber gain by equalizing the length of the upper and lower arms. Im thinking that if i move the contact patch towards the outside of the tire patch the side load will be distribute more evenly across both side walls.

Last edited by Bry195; 03-01-2020 at 08:30 PM.