Tire ring of death >

Tire ring of death

Like Tree32Likes

Tire ring of death

Old 11-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Tire ring of death

What causes the ring of death on on road tires? My tires would last much longer if they didn't suffer this phenomenon. And nobody I ask can seem to give me a good answer as to why it happens. What setup changes can be made to mitigate? And how many runs should you get on black carpet, with a 21.5 and jaco blues? Since I am on the subject, at what point do you toss the tires? When the ring of death is so bad it starts to rip, or when it gets to a certain threshold?
Old 11-21-2019, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's only certain tires that do this... I've never had it happen with Sorex 28 or Elexis tires on Black Carpet.

I believe it's caused by the insert moving inside the tire, but I'm not certain.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

My touring car does it on the front left only and it doesn't matter what brand of tires I run which makes me think that it's a camber, toe or scrubbing while turning issue.
my m07 does it when it has to much camber
Old 11-21-2019, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The ring of death happens to all tires. As for when do I throw them out, I usually break the rim before the tire wears out. I did have a set of Gravity last well over 1500 laps, and did not have a ring of death.
racer034life, Nerobro and gigaplex like this.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It is common on USGT tires and I see it happen often when tracks have high speed sweepers at the end of the straight. I also see it happens most often to the outside tire through the sweeper. Lately I have been swapping tires left side to right side during practice, then back again for quals and mains and tire sets seem to last longer. I have talked to several locals, and they say it is not uncommon to rotate tires in USGT.
Helios, Shawn68z and RotorTruck like this.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

The ring of death is normally due to improper camber. The tire should wear evenly with the proper camber to achieve the widest contact patch on your car.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The ring occurs in f1 rear tires too. No camber or caster adjustments are available. I do think camber accelerates the process in the fronts.
davidl and gigaplex like this.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by photeckk View Post
The ring occurs in f1 rear tires too. No camber or caster adjustments are available. I do think camber accelerates the process in the fronts.
Does it happen on the outside or inside of the rear F1 tyres?
Old 11-21-2019, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

On the inside
Old 11-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

I usually make it a common practice to rotate tires at least before each race day, if not before and again mid day (before mains). Oval I'll rotate every run.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

The "ring of death" is caused by tyres rolling in on themselves during cornering. Factors include the amount of support the insert gives,and the shape of the sidewall compared to the tread. Camber isn't really a factor - set camber as you would usually, don't adjust it to get rid of the ring.

It's not really a ring of death, there is plenty of life in a tyre after the ring starts to appear, most tyres still perform well until they literally wear through.
davidl, corney_01, glennhl and 2 others like this.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01 View Post
It is common on USGT tires and I see it happen often when tracks have high speed sweepers at the end of the straight. I also see it happens most often to the outside tire through the sweeper. Lately I have been swapping tires left side to right side during practice, then back again for quals and mains and tire sets seem to last longer. I have talked to several locals, and they say it is not uncommon to rotate tires in USGT.
How do you rotate USGT tires? They're directional so can't be swapped left to right. They're glued up front so can't be swapped front to back. unless you're running outside, or don't care about the tread pattern?
Old 11-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post
How do you rotate USGT tires? They're directional so can't be swapped left to right. They're glued up front so can't be swapped front to back. unless you're running outside, or don't care about the tread pattern?
I just tested 2 sets back to back with different tread patterns, made no difference to me, but I am slow
Old 11-21-2019, 11:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danny325is View Post
I just tested 2 sets back to back with different tread patterns, made no difference to me, but I am slow
LOL - I'm slow too, but directional only matters in the rain ......
Old 11-22-2019, 01:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

It happens on all rubber tyres, some worse than others. Doesn't seem to affect the performance much. The overall tyre wear and thermal degradation are far bigger factors.

You can reduce camber to reduce it, but then you're sacrificing grip for little gain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.